Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greyhound

Greyhound

Hi,

I am C-7 incomplete and I am planning a trip to Boston leaving from New York and found out that Greyhound accommodates wheelchairs. I was wondering if anyone here had an experience using their lift or traveling with them in your wheelchair. Thanks in advance

Cheryl
    C-7 incomplete Since 2004

You might want to check out this recent review:

https://wheelchairtravel.org/review-...d-bus-service/

(KLD)

We took one from Manhattan to Atlantic city and one to MetLife stadium in NJ. Its like any charter bus system. Lift is under the cargo hole. They open it up you roll on to the lift and they have 2 or 3 rows of chairs seats pushed together to make room for your chair. Most seats had access to power to charge your phone ours didnt?

I would stick with the train from Boston to New York more freedom and independence, better experience.

Thanks for the article KLD, it was very helpful. Rollpositive, train travel does offer more freedom.
    I will try Greyhound and tell you my experience

Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    We took one from Manhattan to Atlantic city and one to MetLife stadium in NJ. Its like any charter bus system. Lift is under the cargo hole. They open it up you roll on to the lift and they have 2 or 3 rows of chairs seats pushed together to make room for your chair. Most seats had access to power to charge your phone ours didnt?

I would stick with the train from Boston to New York more freedom and independence, better experience.
    I checked into using Greyhound and the train. Unfortunately with all the stops they make in between it takes forever to get somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I checked into using Greyhound and the train. Unfortunately with all the stops they make in between it takes forever to get somewhere.
    From or to Boston not that big of a time difference Google has the drive at 3 hours 55 min, train 4 hr 5 min, Bus 4hr 20min

Grayhound is a lot cheaper...

Have you looked in to MegBus?

https://us.megabus.com/

I am not familiar with Megabus. How are they with wheelchair users, from the videos I've seen, there are none with wheelchair users

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Chrl View Post
    I am not familiar with Megabus. How are they with wheelchair users, from the videos I've seen, there are none with wheelchair users

TIA
    Did you look at the Megabus video above???

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    From or to Boston not that big of a time difference Google has the drive at 3 hours 55 min, train 4 hr 5 min, Bus 4hr 20min

Grayhound is a lot cheaper...

Have you looked in to MegBus?

https://us.megabus.com/

From Tampa to New York drive 17hrs 30mins, bus 26hrs 30mins and train 24hrs. Big difference on long trips.

I have taken Greyhound and Megabus several times.

Megabus - you sit in the back and can be tied down or transfer (high up into the seat across the aisle). There is a separate entrance with a manual ramp that can be a little steep if you load from the ground and not a curb.

Greyhound - you sit in the middle and can be tied down or transfer (normal height to the seat directly behind). There is a separate entrance with a mechanical lift.

Since the greyhound lifts are motorized/hydraulic there's more to go wrong and the drivers sometimes forget how to operate them (or weren't trained well in the first place). That's why I prefer Megabus.

Oh, and MAKE SURE you note your disability and chair when making your reservation.

About the travel time, driving is quicker but the bus is often MUCH cheaper and you can read or sleep, which I don't recommend while driving.
    Last edited by brian; 07-11-2017 at 04:14 PM.