Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving from PWC w/o head support.

Driving from PWC w/o head support.

OK, so I am finally giving in and am going to get a vehicle w/o a transfer seat. I have been using sling backrests, but my recently purchased chair (Amy Systems AlltrackR3) has a solid backrest that is about 18" high, reaching to just under my shoulder blades. I do not, nor would I want to, use a chest strap. In the captains style car seats, I have felt very stable and secure, and the head support gives me added confidence. So, will I still feel confident driving from my wheelchair? Does anyone drive from their chair w/o head support who is a quad (or high level para)? What is your experience?
    C-6/7 incomplete

I'm a C-6 quad, driving from my manual chair for 21 years. Driving from a regular seat was more comfortable, but I chose to drive from my chair to save my shoulders the extra wear-and-tear from the transfers. I think you'll get used to it, but I'm still not crazy about going up steep hills or a steep incline like the exit from my building's underground garage.

I'd like to look into something like the Bakk Flip, but haven't found dealers for it...

http://www.prweb.com/releases/lokkup...web4227574.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    I'd like to look into something like the Bakk Flip, but haven't found dealers for it...

http://blog.abilitycenter.com/abilit...traint-system/

This is in San Diego, CA

(KLD)

I'm a C-6 quad, driving from my manual chair for 21 years. Driving from a regular seat was more comfortable, but I chose to drive from my chair to save my shoulders the extra wear-and-tear from the transfers. I think you'll get used to it, but I'm still not crazy about going up steep hills or a steep incline like the exit from my building's underground garage.

Interesting, you chose to reduce transfers and I chose to switch to a power chair to save shoulders. I guess I am already used to the feeling of steep inclines, since I already do them in my power chair. When it is really steep, though, I lean forward (supporting myself with my non-joystick arm), probably for this very reason. I won't be able to do that while driving a car. Ugh.

It appears that the Bakk Flip is no longer being made, or, at least, there is no mention of it anywhere in recent years, and the contact from that dealer doesn't even remember carrying it.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Confidence is difficult to measure and every persons issues are unique. Driving from my chair is never going to be as secure as a car seat. My head never touches the headrest when driving. Go without frequently but it would be nice if you ever get rear-ended. Tried lateral supports but my elbow kept bumping it when turning sharply as when parking. Tie downs or ezlock would help but I dont use either. If I goose it to much my chair will slide. The most insecure moment is when turning at an intersection. Between the roho, wheelchair suspension and vehicle suspension I never feel stable. And of course fighting the torso lean is always a factor. The convenience of loading and unloading out-ways all the negatives for me. Good Luck
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Confidence is difficult to measure and every persons issues are unique. Driving from my chair is never going to be as secure as a car seat. My head never touches the headrest when driving. Go without frequently but it would be nice if you ever get rear-ended. Tried lateral supports but my elbow kept bumping it when turning sharply as when parking. Tie downs or ezlock would help but I dont use either. If I goose it to much my chair will slide. The most insecure moment is when turning at an intersection. Between the roho, wheelchair suspension and vehicle suspension I never feel stable. And of course fighting the torso lean is always a factor. The convenience of loading and unloading out-ways all the negatives for me. Good Luck
    Thanks for sharing. While I am still hesitant, it sounds like you've been able to manage, which makes me feel a lot better.
    C-6/7 incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    You drive from your powerchair, and your chair isn't secured in any way?? Sounds like you're asking to kill or be killed.

My son had the Bakk Flip when it first came to the US. It sucked! We spent about $4k on it and it never worked right. He often got stuck with it and had no way of reaching the manual release. Do some serious research BEFORE you purchase this. The idea is great, but seriously needed to be redesigned!

Blog Entries
    i went from manual chair to power chair this year after 39 years of pushing - i transfer to seat but use a sliding board - easier on shoulders and just as fast for me.

I switched to a power chair after damaging my shoulders pushing for 20 years. I drive from my Permobil M3 with a back that is just under my shoulder blades. I have lateral supports a couple inches below my armpits that help with the lateral movement due to weak trunk control. On the driver door armrest I made a removable pad that is about 2 inches high and 2 inches in from the door. My elbow rests on that when I use the hand control. Since my left arm is stronger than my right I use my elbow to push against the door pad for support in a right turn and pull against my lateral for left turn support. As far as head/neck support, winging it I guess. Been doing it this way for 12 years.