Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole body spasms - probably UTI - based on past expewrience

Whole body spasms - probably UTI - based on past expewrience

GM,

I just experienced 1/2 hour of shivering all over. Last time I experienced this it turned out to be a UTI that required nuclear strength antibiotics.
    I will follow up on that.

My question is - what causes such all over spasms? Electrolyte levels?
    I'm curious.

Thanks

If you have a urinary tract infection and fever, the shivering is probably associated with and a typical symptom of fever. That said, another component could be autonomic dysreflexia (AD) that can occur in individuals with spinal cord injury at T6 and above. Your involuntary nervous system is overreacting to external or bodily stimuli. This over reaction causes a dangerous spike in blood pressure. Some of the symptoms are flushing, goose bumps, shivering, sweating, lightheaded, pounding headache. You don't necessarily need to experience all of the the symptoms to be suffering from AD.

Get a urine specimen to the lab for a urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S).

For me those are usually bad UTIs. However, I did get the same exact replication (fever/chills, etc) when taking a new antibiotic. Turned out to be a real bad sulfur allergy.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If you have a urinary tract infection and fever, the shivering is probably associated with and a typical symptom of fever. That said, another component could be autonomic dysreflexia (AD) that can occur in individuals with spinal cord injury at T6 and above. Your involuntary nervous system is overreacting to external or bodily stimuli. This over reaction causes a dangerous spike in blood pressure. Some of the symptoms are flushing, goose bumps, shivering, sweating, lightheaded, pounding headache. You don't necessarily need to experience all of the the symptoms to be suffering from AD.

Get a urine specimen to the lab for a urinalysis (UA) and a culture & sensitivity (C&S).
    You nailed all the symptoms. Time to see the urologist!

Chills? however, spasticity is increased with infection. Be sure to have UTI ruled out before it before it affects the blood stream- septic.
    CWO

Saw my doc on Monday - it's a UTI.
    Taking antibiotic now. Thank god for Walgreen drive thru's!

Amen to that! Hope you feel better soon. Make sure that you drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest1
    ckf

Some of the people above had good points. I know my spasticity and spasms increases when something's wrong - I see it as a warning signal. I definitely get increased spasticity and spasms with UTIs so you should get checked out and get a C&S in like they said and if that's not it, try and think of what else it could be. When I went septic from a UTI, I had throw-you-out-of-your-chair spasms which is unusual for me unless I have broken bones/torn muscles/something otherwise severe enough. I wasn't sure what exactly was wrong but I knew something was horribly wrong because it wasn't just throw you out of your chair spasms, I was dizzy, felt like I got hit by a truck and a run of Fentanyl had just done ziltch for the pain (I never take Fentanyl either...). The ER discharged me anyway, I went back an hour later, still told just to go home and take more baclofen or just deal with it and sleep it off, that it was probably nothing. 12 hrs later I was back with septic shock. Go figure. I don't joke around with that stuff anymore, I learned that night that I know my body more than some docs seem to appreciate. Always listen to your what your body tells you, and if it turns out to be not so severe, at least you got it checked out! Never know.

Totally agree with the above. A significant change in spasticity or spasms is a sign that something is wrong. It is like pain to someone who has sensation. Listen to your body and fight when you have to so that you get the care that you need.
    ckf

Latest on urinary problems. Experienced severe pain in lower back and then vomiting on past Thursday. Went to ER and was diagnosed with hydrophrenosis / hydroureter. Passed a small stone and now I'm on stronger antibiotic. Based on CAT scan it looks like there are some non-blocking stones still out there. So I have to see a urologist later this week and find out what the prognosis is. Right now I'm feeling better than I have in months.
    I hope there's an easy (non-surgical) solution to this. Drinking lots of water.