Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping a wheelchair advice.

Shipping a wheelchair advice.

I have 3 solid frame chairs I want to sell and am interested in finding the best method to ship them to whoever buys them. I lost a good amount of weight not long ago and am now using smaller frames then 2 of these chairs, and the other has a seat size and angle that I can't use. I have no experience in this. I have seen a thread on this subject on another site a while back but but don't remember what was the best methods. However I remember that using the airlines, or Greyhound bus lines seemed to be a favored, or cheaper method. Who out there has done this, and how did you do this? If you use an airline do you have to pack the chair in boxes or just let them have it like I was flying with them, or can I maybe just pull the wheels off and secure em to the frame?

How about shipping it using the bus lines like Greyhound? Do you have to box it up with them, or just take it apart and secure the wheels, axles, and accessories to the frame, and let em have it?

There has to be a good number of yall out there with some experience with this subject, let's hear what "adventures" this community has had doing this, and what has worked, and what has gone wrong. Any thoughts on what it will cost to ship a lightweight chair. How bout the differences in price between using the standard shippers (FedEx, UPS, etc.) and the airlines-bus lines?

I need my floor space back! I also I can use the money to get a spare chair the size that I use now. What do all yall have to say?

Greyhound could be a hassle. First, your terminal selection is limited, so drop off and pickup could involve along ride. Best bet would be to call them as far as prep for shipping.

I can tell you that FEDEX is by far the cheapest when it comes to shipping larger items. But, it will need to be boxed up. And make sure that it's boxed up as small as possible because you have to watch dimensional weight charges.

I've had two shipped to me wrapped up cocoon style. This one was usps the other one was ups. It had the frog legs sticking out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Just a heads up, Irregularly shaped packages cost extra to ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Just a heads up, Irregularly shaped packages cost extra to ship.
    The above cocoon shipped from So. California to Seattle in 2013:
    Item title Price
    Shipping price
    QtyItem total

INVACARE A-4 TITANIUM WHEELCHAIR ( item: 261217471913 transaction: 1211320757016 )
    Paid on May-21-13$300.00$50.001$300.00
    USPS Parcel Select
    Estimated delivery: Thu. May. 30 - Fri. Jun. 7
    (cut and paste from old email did not work. The $50.00 is what I was charged for shipping.

The other one was the I-Glide, considerably heavier, two motors, battery etal. It shipped intact fully assembled, (size matters) coast to coast NJ to Seattle using a different carrier, FedEx for $200.00.
    I'm just getting data out there. When I shopped prices for shipping my basketball wheelchair the UPS clerk told me that the USPS would be my best bet.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    The above cocoon shipped from So. California to Seattle in 2013:
    Item title Price
    Shipping price
    QtyItem total

INVACARE A-4 TITANIUM WHEELCHAIR ( item: 261217471913 transaction: 1211320757016 )
    Paid on May-21-13$300.00$50.001$300.00
    USPS Parcel Select
    Estimated delivery: Thu. May. 30 - Fri. Jun. 7

(cut and paste from old email did not work. The $50.00 is what I was charged for shipping.

The other one was the I-Glide, considerably heavier, two motors, battery etal. It shipped intact fully assembled, (size matters) coast to coast NJ to Seattle using a different carrier, FedEx for $200.00.
    I'm just getting data out there. When I shopped prices for shipping my basketball wheelchair the UPS clerk told me that the USPS would be my best bet.
    Sir nonoise; Thanks for your input. I do have a couple of questions. When you shipped the Invacare, was it shipped in boxes, or wrapped? Where was it shipped from and to? Looks like you are in NJ. What did you end up paying to box it up, or get it wrapped. And who does the wrapping anyway? Let me know, and thanks again.

Shipping to China

When I traveled to China in 2006 I shipped a shower chair to my unit I was staying at. UPS picked it up, then it went EMS for about $300.00USD.

It arrived in perfect condition with no missing or damaged parts.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I had the same thought for recreational travel, Ti. Avoid hassles and inherent dangers of commercial airlines. Ship via ups or fedex to hotel front desk on day of arrival. Tell them you are expecting a delivery. Keep it safe and/or put it in room.

Go to airport in manual or backu8p electric. Worst case scenario, you have an alte4rnate chair.

May be prohibitive $$$ to ship power w/c.

A couple of years ago I shipped a shower/commode chair using DHL Express. I purchased a packing box that fit it, and "popcorn" and bubble wrap from a local shipping company that sold this type of stuff, packed it myself, weighed it on my bathroom scale, contacted DHL on-line, and they picked it up at my house and shipped it for me. Not cheap, but was cheaper than I could do it with FedEx or UPS. You might check them out too.

As far as boxes go, you might also check with your local DMEs to see if they will save you boxes that the wheelchairs they have delivered to their shop come in. I got boxes several times like this from the local VA hospital wheelchair shop as well.

(KLD)

Boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A couple of years ago I shipped a shower/commode chair using DHL Express. I purchased a packing box that fit it, and "popcorn" and bubble wrap from a local shipping company that sold this type of stuff, packed it myself, weighed it on my bathroom scale, contacted DHL on-line, and they picked it up at my house and shipped it for me. Not cheap, but was cheaper than I could do it with FedEx or UPS. You might check them out too.

As far as boxes go, you might also check with your local DMEs to see if they will save you boxes that the wheelchairs they have delivered to their shop come in. I got boxes several times like this from the local VA hospital wheelchair shop as well.

(KLD)
    I had a collection of titanium and aluminum 'chairs that were sitting in my basement so I posted them here at CareCure for free but you must pay for shipping costs. All three of them went in matter of minutes. One went to Maryland, Washington and India! I also pick up a new folding shower chair at Goodwill one day I drove past and saw it in the window. The were selling for $15 so I purchased it. It was an Invacare Mariner. Someone here at CareCure needed a shower chair and I message him that I had one like new for $15 plus shipping and he bought it.

Finding a box for 'chair is hard. What I found out is that if it is a folding 'chair go to a bicycle shop for a box. A fixed frame 'chair Sears Hardware or a lawn mower shop and get a lawn mower box. You might have to cut it down a glue it back together but it was satisfying giving the 'chairs away to a person in need of one. But finding a box is tough to find. Contacting a DME is a good idea.

The 'chairs to Maryland and Washington went UPS for under $50 but the one to India went DHL and I added a cushion and some urological supplies too. The guy payed me for shipping via Paypal and he did get it undamaged.

On a funny note, my first TiSport TRA frame cracked on the frame where the backrest bracket was bolted. It called TiSport about and they FedEx a box to my home over night. I had it the next day. The FedEx guy even waited for me to place the frame in the box and tape it up and he took it away.

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 06-27-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: funny note
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."