Thread: question about installing wheelie bars

question about installing wheelie bars

How do you set these up? The one manual I own simply says properly installed, but they don't say how. I want actual first hand experience (good or bad) anyway.

Right or wrong, here is what goes through my mind when I hold them up to the chair.
    If the little wheels are:
    Set too low, one could get high centered
    Set too high, there is a greater chance of loosing tip over prevention.

Set too close to the 24 inch wheel, likely not to work because momentum might just cause one to roll right over it.
    Set too far from wheel it will always be getting in the way.

Where is the happy medium you've found? I doubt it would be the same for everyone.

BTW, I have in the past purchased a wheelchair with a broken wheelie bar, so I am a bit nervous now that I know I need them.
    Last edited by nonoise; 06-25-2017 at 06:39 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I'd say that you've thought of most of the aspects that need to be taken into account, but I'd also add:
    - if you still want to wheelie up kerbs, your little wheels will need to be high enough to allow a kerb height wheelie.
    - depending on the type/make of wheelie bars (or anti-tips) you may be limited in the adjustments you can make. I ended up cutting the little wheels off my son's anti-tips and fitting the remaining tubulars with plastic end caps, as it resulted in a better configuration, as well as getting rid of some rattling wheels.... (My son no longer uses anti-tips, and my feet/shins are much happier as a result, as they do get in the way unfortunately).

I'd also think that it would be worth changing your chair's c.o.g. if you're having to fit wheelie bars, but I'm sure you've already considered/done that (assuming you can with your chair?).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I'd say that you've thought of most of the aspects that need to be taken into account, but I'd also add:
    - if you still want to wheelie up kerbs, your little wheels will need to be high enough to allow a kerb height wheelie.
    - depending on the type/make of wheelie bars (or anti-tips) you may be limited in the adjustments you can make. I ended up cutting the little wheels off my son's anti-tips and fitting the remaining tubulars with plastic end caps, as it resulted in a better configuration, as well as getting rid of some rattling wheels.... (My son no longer uses anti-tips, and my feet/shins are much happier as a result, as they do get in the way unfortunately).

I'd also think that it would be worth changing your chair's c.o.g. if you're having to fit wheelie bars, but I'm sure you've already considered/done that (assuming you can with your chair?).
    Strong points, this is about anti tips for the two chairs that have power assists. At first I did not think the I-Glide would wheelie up, but to my surprise, it did. I might have some room to adjust it's cog. But as for jumping up curbs I don't/can't do that for anything over 2-3 inches. If I can't power over it, I find another way. The three wheeler is way too light in the front end and if I change it, I won't have space to add anti tips which will still be needed do to the acceleration of the electric drive unit.

The I-glide has good anti tips, nice strong looking design and easily adjusted to whatever the numbers might be. The other one doesn't. I'm hacking and whacking several sets together to make something work. That is why I stopped and asked myself, "what is the best correct here?" I did find another wheelchair manual. The wording is no better. It says how to adjust (push the ball bearing buttons), rather than how far to adjust.

So I still want to know what people like. How far from the floor and how far behind the 24 inch wheels?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Nobody has any location preferences for these important safety devices? The tubing is so thin on some it seems it could just bend if set up wrong.

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985

How do you adjust wheelie bars?

Can you attach a pic of your wheelie bars? Maybe folks will be able to offer more help then.

I have a similar question (and bump). The wheelie bars on my Storm Torque often get caught on the floor (door bottom) when I'm swinging out of my van on a Superarm lift. Is it possible to shorten them? If so, how much is safe? The left wheelie bar catches first. If I remove it, will one wheelie bar keep me from tipping over? I think my only concern is when going up a steep ramp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle