Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tilite 5" softroll caster bearing - R6-2RS - and not 608's - aaargh

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

tilite 5" softroll caster bearing - R6-2RS - and not 608's - aaargh

First lesson never assume.
    changing my bearing for the first time on these casters, cleaning wasn't quite cutting it anymore.
    Just assumed the bearings were
    608's
    Bang out the old bearing, drop then new 608's I'd just purchased in and they just drop in, and then the axle spacer doesn't fit!
    They're close, but obviously not right! what the hell!
    A little research and the Tilite softrolls use an R6 ! of course using standard(imperial) measurement and not metric aaarrrrghhh. obviously looking forward to their international markets !!

The 608 series, is characterized by an 8mm inner diameter (the bore of the ball bearings), a 22mm outer diameter, and a width of 7mm.
    The R6 series, is characterized by an 3/8" (9.525mm) inner diameter (the bore of the ball bearings), a 7/8" (22.225mm) outer diameter, and a width of 9/32" (7.14375").

Obviously pissed off after taking them all apart, only to have to put them back together again and now I have an extra set of 608's! grrr

maybe save someone else some agro.

Thanks for your experience NW-Will.
    I doubt whether TiLite are catering to the rest of the world as most of the globe is metrifiied except for the US and Canada(?)
    They are more likely catering to their home market. US gallons not litres (and your gallons are the smaller variety too); cheaper though. US thread size/pitch UNC UNF SAE etc
    That the TiLite 5" soft rolls run imperial bearings may not come as such a surprise as fastenings, frame tube etc on their chairs are all imperial, as I recall.
    My 4" soft rolls are sourced from Melrose{?} and take 608 bearings. I have no idea where they source from.
    Your thread has got me curious; I have a new set of 5" soft rolls in the shed that I will check for bearing size comparison later this morning.
    I will report back.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-24-2017 at 06:57 PM.

I checked both 5" casters, including those on the Aero T and they are 608 2RS /C3 grade bearings.
    The cracked 4" Frog Legs casters from my TiLite 2GX were 608 also. Yes, the casters were cracked
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-24-2017 at 09:50 PM.

someone posted a wed site on line that you could buy from its a huge rip off on all this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    someone posted a wed site on line that you could buy from its a huge rip off on all this stuff
    A huge rip-off, in what way? Counterfeit? Expensive? etc
    Maybe expensive doesn't qualify as every damn thing associated with the cripple industry is overpriced from multiple ticket clipping (IMO)

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    yeah wishful thinking I know.. but I was thinking they'd take a lead from the skateboard industry which seems to have standardized around 608's and thereby making 608's easily and readily accessible plus a decent price for higher quality bearings etc.
    Without going crazy and shooting for ceramic bearing which seem to run about $25 each, there doesn't seem to be much range out their for the R6 bearings.

DME hub seems to have a cheap replacement $3.50 each!

https://www.dmehub.net/TiLite-Caster...l-hd100516.htm

Just a correction. Canada has been metric since the 70's when the US was going to change too.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    yeah wishful thinking I know.. but I was thinking they'd take a lead from the skateboard industry which seems to have standardized around 608's and thereby making 608's easily and readily accessible plus a decent price for higher quality bearings etc.
    Without going crazy and shooting for ceramic bearing which seem to run about $25 each, there doesn't seem to be much range out their for the R6 bearings.
    NZ$4.50/ for cheap ones down this way
    http://www.nzminiaturebearings.com/c...6-2rs-bearings

If you want to spend more then NZ$11.54 will get you one bearing
    http://www.bearingandengineering.co....L+BEARING.html

My caster bearings set me back NZ$27 for a set of 10 'Independant' brand bearings.
    Maybe enquire with Melrose USA or another supplier about metric casters that run 608 bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    . . . Maybe enquire with Melrose USA or another supplier about metric casters that run 608 bearings?

FrogLegs run on 608's. I use Bones Super Red bearings in mine.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You can get a pack of 10 for 18 bucks on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BBGTM4

I don't see what the fuss is about, they are a standard bearing size.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post

https://www.dmehub.net/TiLite-Caster...l-hd100516.htm