Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STUPID Things Stupid People SAY to Wheelchair Users VENT HERE!

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Triumph, your story reminds me,...the aide at the hospital was determined to get me from the bed to the wheelchair by having me "stand" on my one leg and that she would then just "turn" me around and sit me down in the wheelchair. Now what could possibly go wrong? (P.S. I'm T9 incomplete and unable to move my leg.)
    Female, T9 incomplete

I knew a guy with a C6 injury who used to respond to these requests to "just hop on up" to the exam table, Xray table, etc. by saying "Oh shoot, I knew I shouldn't have skipped that class on self-levitation during my rehab!!!"

(KLD)

Good to see you out and about! (I'm not sure what this actually means? Are they expecting us to only be home? Perhaps In and Idle?)
    Don't run me over! (I effin' hate this one). I always reply with don't run ME over!
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    Good to see you out and about! (I'm not sure what this actually means? Are they expecting us to only be home? Perhaps In and Idle?)
    Don't run me over! (I effin' hate this one). I always reply with don't run ME over!
    Similar- I was in a bar one night with a bunch of friends having a good time and this older lady came up to me and said "I know you don't know me and I don't know you, but can I tell you something?" I said sure.. "It's just sooo nice to see you out." I bit my tongue and said thanks but I really wanted to say "as opposed to what, being locked in the closet? I also work 40 hours a week, change your perception of handicapped beotch."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post

To quote JenJen from her TED talk, "Thanks! I even managed to put on matching socks, too!"
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

"Well the good thing is that you don't have to be standing all day long"

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky831 View Post
    "Well the good thing is that you don't have to be standing all day long"
    My non-disabled sister once told me....if you encounter a non-disabled person, wherever it is, immediately suggest to them a place to sit down. She informed me that walker folks are ALWAYS looking for a place to sit down. Me, paralyzed at age 7 never knew this "fact" and now I have to laugh about it, and yes, I have practiced this since.

Another response when you're told 'it's nice to see you out': "yes, the gay civil rights movement has helped a lot with that!"

My sister, for many years, would suggest I get my legs cut off and with prosthetics, would be able to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Similar- I was in a bar one night with a bunch of friends having a good time and this older lady came up to me and said "I know you don't know me and I don't know you, but can I tell you something?" I said sure.. "It's just sooo nice to see you out." I bit my tongue and said thanks but I really wanted to say "as opposed to what, being locked in the closet? I also work 40 hours a week, change your perception of handicapped beotch."
    I do that regularly... If people are ignorant, I see no reason to let it slide anymore. I just dont care. You do or say something stupid I'm pointing it out and calling you out for it.

Everyone who knows me, knows where I'm coming from. And will probably substantiate the fact that it's not a good idea to say somthing like that...

I had a guy who thought it was a good idea to unload his emotional vomit on me saying he didnt get accepted to the airforce because of a heart condition he knew he had from birth. I was brutal. I was like "Dude! You knew you had this condition (it was fairly severe) from birth? What the hell made you think you'd be accepted. You've had since birth to come to terms. Why are you unloading this shit on me? Im just trynna have a relaxing night after a long week at work, I'm not a psychologist, this isnt an office and you're not paying me$150 an hour to listen to this and sort your shit out. Bugger off!"

Brutal I know. But I cant give a damn anymore. I've been doing it too long.
    Last edited by Mutley; 07-14-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    I do that regularly... without the name calling (most of the time), but I get the sentiment. If people are ignorant, I see no reason to let it slide anymore. I just dont care. You do or say something stupid I'm pointing it out and calling you out for it.

Everyone who knows me, knows where I'm coming from. And will probably substantiate the fact that it's not a good idea to say somthing like that...

I had a guy who thought it was a good idea to unload his emotional vomit on me saying he didnt get accepted to the airforce because of a heart condition he knew he had from birth. I was brutal. I was like "Dude! You knew you had this condition (it was fairly severe) from birth? What the hell made you think you'd be accepted. You've had since birth to come to terms. Why are you unloading this shit on me? Im just trynna have a relaxing night after a long week at work, I'm not a psychologist, this isnt an office and you're not paying me$150 an hour to listen to this and sort your shit out. Bugger off!"

Brutal I know. But I cant give a damn anymore. I've been doing it too long.
    Damn Mutley, I thought I didn't give a fuck, but you really, really don't.

From now on my main goal in life is to decrease the amount of shits I give until I reach your zen-like state.