Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STUPID Things Stupid People SAY to Wheelchair Users VENT HERE!

STUPID Things Stupid People SAY to Wheelchair Users VENT HERE!

Hi, there was a HUGE thread in Apparelyzed - Stupid Things Stupid People Say to Wheelchair Users. It was hilarious, we've all been there at least once. I tried searching for similar thread here no luck. Let's start it up again! It's a great way to vent and I'm also working on a creative project/product that I hope to market and sell to folks (like me) in wheelcahirs and it incorporates these types of comments.....let's get it started!

"Can you have sex?"
    "You're too pretty/young to be in a wheelchair"
    "My (fill in the blank) served in Afghanistan/Iraq too"
    "Watch out! You're gonna get a speeding ticket!"
    "How do you go to the bathroom?"
    "You're so brave! you're such an inspiration!"
    "I have a (fill in the blank) who's in a wheelchair too"
    "I broke my leg and was in a cast/crutches for months...I know exactly how you feel"
    "It's so great to see people like you out and about in the world...doing things for themselves instead of just sitting at home"

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    In my last nursing home, before my getting home to my house, a gentleman on my aisle would say, "Look out! Lady driver!", every single time he saw me in the hallway. (He was in a wheelchair, too. :/ ) I could see that his health was deteriorating, so I 'bit my tongue' not to complain,...and in fact, he died a few months after my arrival. But his idea of humor was, in fact, painful to me on a level besides the obvious misogynistic one, due to the fact that my SCI injury was from being hit by a car. In fact, he was probably just making a play for some attention and thought that he was being charming. When I heard him breathing his last, across the aisle from my room, I was glad that I hadn't tried to straighten him out.

In a completely different scenario, a kind lady knocked on my door (at home) while doing her religious work. After a brief conversation, as she was leaving, she said, "I hope you'll get better soon." I was taken by surprise and said, "Yes, thank you." But then, after I shut the door, all I could do was shake my head and smile. Other than being in my wheelchair, I hadn't said that there was anything wrong with me. (Sarcasm: Oh, yes. Next time you come I should be gracefully walking to the door to greet you,...and I'll have my missing leg back, too.)
    Last edited by Vintage; 06-23-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    Female, T9 incomplete

"Watch out! You're gonna get a speeding ticket!"

I get this one about three times a day, but to be fair I do fly around at speeds someone would have to run to keep up with me.

A related one I've gotten several times is something along the lines of "Don't be driving drunk!" whenever someone sees me drinking a beer.

"it must be nice sitting all the time" no, no it's not you dumb f**k

Do you all get people jumping out of your way in a very exaggerated fashion? My retort is to say "I'm not that fat" and move on swiftly...

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    When the car hit me and paralyzed me, it also took off one leg. People seeing me in a wheelchair with just one leg often assume that the missing leg is the reason I'm in a wheelchair. Hence they say things like, "Oh, but as soon as you get your prosthetic, you'll be up and around!" And, one nice lady said,"At least you've still got your right leg for driving a car." I grimmaced and reluctantly told her, "No, I'm paralyzed. It doesn't move." She said, "Oh".
    Female, T9 incomplete

Been going to the same small town medical center for 40 years and still I'm asked "Can you stand for a minute on the scale so I can check your weight?"

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Been going to the same small town medical center for 40 years and still I'm asked "Can you stand for a minute on the scale so I can check your weight?"
    You should start answering "Sure, just have the doc come in and cure my paralysis real quick and I'll hop right up there"