Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cranberry Pills

Cranberry Pills

What strength cranberry pills do you take daily for UTI health?

Solaray D'mannose with cranactin 120 pills on amazon for $26.00
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

A while ago, one of the SCI nurses made a comment that cranberry supplements really don't work unless urine is retained in the urine for at least 4 hours. So, if you cath more often than that, use a condom catheter, or use an indwelling catheter you won't experience the benefit of the supplement.

Solaray CranActin 400mg (per capsule).

Edited to add: I don't take it on a daily basis - only when I recognize early UTI-type symptoms, and then for 3-4 days, maximum.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 06-23-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: addition
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

There is no evidence for any benefit for cranberry juice or capsules in UTI prevention in people with SCI.

Cranberry probably won't hurt you (unless you have a tendency to develop calcium oxalate stones, when cranberry should actually be avoided), but because this is considered an herbal remedy in the USA, there is also no standardization of concentration/dosage (since not regulated by the FDA) it is impossible to make any specific recommendation about dosage.

Just keep in mind that some people experience problems with loose stools or diarrhea when taking cranberry capsules, esp. in higher doses, so it is recommended to start with the lowest dose possible and gradually increase it to what is recommended on the packaging of the specific product you are taking to be sure that it doesn't cause you this problem.

I am not familiar with any evidence that it works better (or at all) for those who don't have indwelling catheters though. This may be the case for urinary antiseptics such as Mandelamine or Hiprex, but not for cranberry.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Not me.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not me.

(KLD)
    Just pointing out the reference I mentioned in an earlier post. Took me some time to find it.

Many apologies if you thought I implied it was you.

Take 3 cranberry pills a day. strength is 4200+ mg/l. I have not had a UTI in 2+ years.

One major change that I did was eliminate Vitamin C from my regimen. Also reduced sugar, as these 2 seem to have caused the majority of my previous UTI's.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Take 3 cranberry pills a day. strength is 4200+ mg/l. I have not had a UTI in 2+ years.

One major change that I did was eliminate Vitamin C from my regimen. Also reduced sugar, as these 2 seem to have caused the majority of my previous UTI's.
    How do you manage your bladder?

Since you eliminated Vit C and reduced sugar in your diet, it may be hard to attribute any of these changes and your intake of cranberry supplements to any thing. Your experience is anecdotal, like so many of our individual experiences. This is why it is so difficult to make any generalizations about what works, why it works, for whom and how.