Thread: Strategies for reducing pressure on foot

Strategies for reducing pressure on foot

Recently, I developed an ulcer on the bottom side of my foot. I am asking for ideas on how to reduce the pressure on the bottom side of my foot when sitting up in my Power wheelchair. The chair has tilt/recline and elevating leg rests. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have also suffered from pressure problems on both my heels, where the skin went black. It freaked me out as it seemed to happen without me even noticing that I had a problem. I was lucky that I had good nursing care, and with gently debriding and keeping any pressure off my feet as much as possible, I finally fixed the problem. For some strange reason my right heel is always more prone to pressure problems than my left heel.

The best thing I have found to prevent this happening again is by wearing a Roho Heel Pad. It is made from the same material as a Roho cushion, and since wearing this I have had no pressure problems.

Hope this helps you.

For management of an existing pressure ulcer on the sole of the foot, you need to completely off-load that area. Must you have the footplate against your foot at all? Padding the footplate is a second best approach. Pressure ulcers on the sole of the foot rarely develop unless someone is also diabetic or has PVD (peripheral vascular disease) or if they are not wearing shoes when up in their wheelchair. Regardless, once you develop one, you should wear a good pressure reducing foam boot (something like the Prevalon boot is good) instead of a shoe on that foot.

For prevention, and if total off-loading is not possible, I would agree that the Roho footpedal pads are probably the best bet.

(KLD)

Janne and SCI-Nurse thank you for your suggestions. SCI-Nurse I can flip up my footrests and let the foot hang freely, but do, I need to be concerned about reducing blood flow to that leg? Thanks!

That should not be a problem. Do you have a good quality padded calf support on that leg rest?

(KLD)

oldschool, I forgot to mention that I always moisturise my feet after having a shower, where I rub the cream under my feet and on top. My nurse recommended this to keep the skin supple, and so far it's working well.

Quote Originally Posted by janne View Post
    oldschool, I forgot to mention that I always moisturise my feet after having a shower, where I rub the cream under my feet and on top. My nurse recommended this to keep the skin supple, and so far it's working well.
    Does nothing to prevent pressure injuries though.

(KLD)