Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makeshift emergency temporary cushion?

Makeshift emergency temporary cushion?

Howdy folks,

I've managed to get myself in a bit of a bind. I have a J3 cushion, which if you aren't familiar with looks like this

With an air bladder by roho. I destructed the air bladder in a stupidly catastrophic way, but it is what it is now. Basically I am sitting on the grey looking cushion part with a dished out area for the roho air bladder to sit, but the air bladder doesn't hold air any more, so I'm not really sitting on anything but a quarter inch piece of hard foam.

Anybody got suggestions for what I can do while I try to find a proper solution?

I have an idea to stuff some foam where the air bladder should go, but I have no idea where I could even buy appropriate foam (if there is such a thing). I also have an inflatable sit pad from REI like this

but it's awkwardly shaped to fit in the relatively small dished out area of the cushion.

I'm kind of worried that by the time I get a new air bladder (at least 5 business days per the manufacturer, who is dicking me around and asking for a "model number" I don't have before they will even sell me one), I'll have a catastrophic failure of my skin. I don't have a backup cushion... foolish, I know.

Blog Entries
    I'd try to order a whole new cushion Next Day Air from an online retailer with one in stock. Gets you a cushion while you wait for replacement part and solves the 'no backup' issue. One is none. (FWIW, I mapped well on the Jay 3 + Roho insert AND the Stimulite XS Contour, which is an awesome backup cushion because it is Fail proof.)

Or maybe consider a Joanne's Fabric or some type of fabric shop they typically have foam you could cut to size. Anything would be better than nothing IMO.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I'd try to order a whole new cushion Next Day Air from an online retailer with one in stock. Gets you a cushion while you wait for replacement part and solves the 'no backup' issue. One is none. (FWIW, I mapped well on the Jay 3 + Roho insert AND the Stimulite XS Contour, which is an awesome backup cushion because it is Fail proof.)

Or maybe consider a Joanne's Fabric or some type of fabric shop they typically have foam you could cut to size. Anything would be better than nothing IMO.
    I guess my best option at the moment is to get some foam.

My cushion is a special order because it's 13" wide x 18" long. A new cushion that actually fits will take even longer to come, and I looked at those Stimulites, I can't even get close to a size that would fit on my chair and it doesn't look easy to cut down to fit based on the material.

Anybody know what kind of foam would be best? A few years ago I was in a similar situation and bought some foam at a fabric store, but despite getting six inches thick of the densest foam I could find in the store, I was bottoming it out and don't know how safe it would be to do something like that long term.

Also the nature of this cushion is kind of weird. It's almost like I'm sitting on a toilet seat cutout or something at the moment. Not only could my ischiums be bottoming out (hard to tell), but the ring around where the ischium air pad is supposed to be is probably now experiencing a lot more pressure than normal. I don't know if it's worth putting a big pile of cheap foam under my ischiums and increasing the chance of getting a pressure sore there, or just running relatively raw like I am now and risking a pressure sore on the ring around them.

It seems like the risk of an ischial pressure sore would be harder to heal once I get back to a real cushion.

Blog Entries
    Risking pressure sore either way is not acceptable IMO. Check your PMs.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Maybe go to a local medical supply store and ask to borrow one in the mean time. Even if it's not the right size, it would be better than something make-shift.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Get a yoga mat from walmart. Some spray adhesive. Cut to shape, with as many layers as you need to not bottom out. I have a Jay Protector that the bladder died years ago. It has the same dish and that's what I did. Check it every hour for the first day.
    Have you tried to fix the Roho part?

Thanks, everyone, I think I have a solution thanks to one of the long standing pillars of our community here who I won't name cuz I don't want to put his business in the street.

@baldfatdad - I have repaired my roho with tire inner tube repair kit about six times. My problem was I got too cocky and thought I could live without an immediate backup (plus i'm getting a new chair in a couple months and planning to buy two cushions to fit that one). Two of my repairs had failed, which was the problem. I got one of them, but the other ripped terribly when I tried to remove the old patch to clean it up. I'm staying off my butt as much as possible, doing lots of pressure relief when I have too butsoon I will have a fix.

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/upholstery-foam.html maybe you can try an upholstery supply. Many of them have many choices and will cut to order.

funklab,

Regarding yesterday's post:
    "My cushion is a special order because it's 13" wide x 18" long ... and I looked at those Stimulites, I can't even get close to a size ... " - your 13x18 size Stimulite Contoured is available as suggested by Oddity.