Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problems w/bowel routine....SCI nurse help :)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Not sure what the equivalent of Lexicarbon is in the United States. An internet search wasn't helpful. Anyone?
    I suspect it is actually a Lecicarbon A Suppository:

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/28292

We don't have an equivilent product in the USA, but it is fairly close to the Ceo-Two suppository chemically:

https://www.drugs.com/otc/125687/ceo-two.html

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, impaction means stool that is "stuck" in the colon and does not move with normal peristalsis. It is the extreme end of constipation, and the stool is usually very hard little balls. It can be removed usually by the use of a combination of osmotic laxatives and stimulants, although it may take pretty large amounts. Rarely does an impaction make it to the rectum, so it rarely can be manually removed.

We are not sure why long term heavy use of enemas and strong stimulants or laxatives can sometimes cause obstructive megacolon in persons with SCI, but there is an association with such use. It may be that these strong laxatives/stimulants increase peristalsis so much that the muscle eventually "burns out" causing little or no peristalsis to be possible (which is the definition of megacolon) similar to the decompensation of the bladder with long term high-pressure voiding, or left sided heart failure (all of these are weak, floppy smooth muscle).

(KLD)
    Thanks, KLD! if I'm producing around the same output I always have, would that indicate that my peristalsis is as it has always been?

btw, I also take pericolasce and metamucil also, and my gastro dr. told me about a year ago that an x ray showed backed up stool  he had me do a suprep colonoscopy but my bloating didn?t decrease much.
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 07-14-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    "courage is fear that has said its prayers"

Quote Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
    Thanks, KLD! if I'm producing around the same output I always have, would that indicate that my peristalsis is as it has always been?

btw, I also take pericolasce and metamucil also, and my gastro dr. told me about a year ago that an x ray showed backed up stool  he had me do a suprep colonoscopy but my bloating didn?t decrease much.
    No, you would most likely produce the same amount of stool; that is mostly dependent upon what you eat, not your peristalsis. Your transit time would likely be significantly increased though. Normal transit time (eat to defecation) is 8-24 hours in ABs, and more like 48-72 hours in those with SCI/D. Your physician can do a formal transit time study, but you can also do a "poor man's" transit study. Eat some fresh or frozen corn, record the time, and then watch for she you see the corn come out in your stool.

I would encourage you to discuss the possibility of having an obstructive megacolon with your GI physician. They should already be familiar with this. Sometimes you can buy some time by taking stronger and more stimulants and laxatives, but eventually that will not really work very well. Many people who develop this find a colostomy is the best way to manage it.

(KLD)