Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fungal infection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

fungal infection

It appears I have a groin fungal infection. It's been treated for two weeks with ketoconazole cream and fluconazole orally which improved but did not cure it. It is just red, no other symptoms. If there were pain, of course, I wouldn't feel it.

I am a bit confused by how to treat it. The place I went to did not discuss how to apply the cream but on here and other places people say you should wash and dry the area. Does that mean I would have to take two showers a day? (I don't think I could clean the area with soap and water unless I showered). I have been using instead Sani-Hands alcohol wipes before the cream application.

Here are my questions:

1. Are there any special risks/concerns with this associated with SCI (loss of sensation) and/or intermittent catheterization?

2. What's the next step after ketoconazole didn't cure it, and do I need to shower first or are alcohol wipes ok?

Soap and water is best. We just do this as part of morning and evening care, in bed. Soapy washcloth, another wet washcloth, then dry well. Then get into a "frog" position and stay that way for up to an hour (ideal). This allows the area to get really dry. Some use a hair dryer, but you have to be really careful to not burn yourself. Then apply your antifungal cream/ointment, rubbing it in well. I prefer miconazole nitrate 2% cream (Lotrimin AF, Micatin, Monistat Derm, Daktarin, etc.) for dry fungal areas, and powder (Lotrimin AF and Zeasorb-AF) for "wet" fungal infections. If using powder, dust it on lightly, then brush away the excess. Don't cake it on.

Avoid wearing clothing (underwear, pajamas, adult incontinence pads, etc.) over the area when in bed; this lets more air get to the area.

I can also recommend the use of Interdry for both treatment and prevent of fungal infections in the groin, skin folds, etc. It is a white knit jersey like fabric that is also silver impregnated. The silver is antifungal, and the fabric is excellent at wicking away moisture. For use in the groin, you can cut a piece about 12"X3" (for most people) and just lay it into the area, making sure that fabric extends outside the area where skin is in contact (this allows the moisture wicking fabric to work). You can secure it with underwear or if needed, a few pieces of tape (don't tape on top of the fungal area). https://www.interdry.com/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I can also recommend the use of Interdry
    (KLD)
    Should I use Interdry at the same time as the miconazole nitrate, or instead of miconazole nitrate?

When I have had this problem I have used a little battery operated fan when I am in the frog position. Safer than a hair dryer. Along with the above mentioned stuff from KLD.
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"
    Mossy Oak ProStaff - Make A Difference, Get Involved.
    http://plegicoutdoorsman.blogspot.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/c/ClintLindemann

A lot of good recommendations above. Just to add another, if you are a side sleeper ... a pillow between the knees to keep the air circulating.

Use them together. You can then use the Interdry long term for prevention.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Use them together. You can then use the Interdry long term for prevention.

(KLD)
    Do you think that using Skin-Prep would protect a spot between toes?
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 24 years post injury

I used fluconazole for four weeks, one tablet a week I believe. I did not see any eradication of the rash until the last week. Maybe you should stay on it for a month?

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I had diaper rash (really bad) twice in nursing homes. I asked for anything they had which contained zinc oxide, insisted that the aides apply it, and the condition cleared up. After getting home, I used some 'free samples' of cheap, plastic-covered diapers for a couple of days, and was met with a raging case of diaper rash. I obtained tubes of a cream preparation containing 40% Zinc Oxide (which happened to be Desitin Maximum Strength, in my case), applied it, and the diaper rash immediately improved. In three days the rash was gone. I also told the supplier how horrible those plastic diapers had been. They immediately sent me some lovely, cloth-like, disposable diapers, and I've had almost no rash problem in recent history. But I keep the zinc oxide cream on my night stand.
    Female, T9 incomplete

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions and information. Believe it or not, after two months I'm still dealing with this. It's improved, but I can't quite seem to get rid of it. It's not a big deal, there's no pain of course, just one of those things.