Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery leaking! Anyone have this happen before?

Quote Originally Posted by beatscookin View Post
    The leaking battery label says:

VISION (logo)
    VISION GROUP
    WWW.VISION-BATT.COM
    SCP12750 G24 M6 12V 75AH
    VALVE REGULATED
    RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
    CONSTANT VOLTAGE CHARGE
    CYCLE USE: 14.4-14.7V
    STANDBY USE: 13.38-13.8V
    INITIAL CURRENT LESS THAN 22.6A
    NON-SPILLABLE
    MADE IN CHINA

Can any one tell if this is a gel battery or not?

Unfortunately the NuMotion tech is my only option out here. No one else will repair my chair because I didn't originally buy the chair from them and they don't want to jump through the Medicare hoops. I'm going to have to walk him through a diagnosis myself. I'll start by checking the new batteries and battery charger. Then I'll have him check the battery leads to the power module. If that's all fine, what would I look for next?
    Non-spillable suggests a lead acid battery; and it is.
    https://3falo31u07dp2mj28v2enouw-wpe...750-G24-M6.pdf

AFAIK sealed unit batteries do not vent and will not tolerate unregulated charging. If they are made to boil, the gases and the sulphuric acid will find their way out.

If that tech (possible misnomer) is the only one they have I suggest making persuasive efforts with another crowd to accept you as a client. You mention walking this joker through what he should already know well.
    Kinda like having a dog and doing the barking for him.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-17-2017 at 03:40 AM.

Like Slow-Runner's post of PDF shows it's a AGM.
    Doing Google Search on: SCP12750 G24 M6 12V 75AH

Since it's a AMG it's suppose to be non-spillable and alot DME's are using instead of Gel Cell here is link on that size:
    http://www.vision-batteries.com/store/p64/SCP12750-Z_G24_12V,_75Ah,_Z_Terminal.html
    And like I'd posted earlier our Van battery is AGM, suppose hold charge longer, since we don't drive much. But yea, they do leak. Our van's charging system checked out OK so guess was just a flaw in that leaking battery.
    But, if you have a powerchair charger with same pin plug you might check using it on your chair.
    Also, since sounded like very little inspection done by Tech you might ask a neighbor or friend to pull battery tray and check for damage to wires and that all plug connectors are tight.
    BTW: If you don't mind me asking, how old is your Permobil Chairman Entra? I could not locate a Service Manual but found a Owner's Manual in case you don't have yours and find someone to look at it:
    https://permobilus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/OM-Chairman-Entra.pdf
    "Good Luck!"

slow_runner & MikeP2013, Thanks for the battery pdf and Permobil owner's manual!:-)
    My Permobil Chairman Entra is from 2001. Best chair I've ever had - back when they were made in Sweden with high quality in mind!

Are gel batteries and lead acid batteries interchangeable?
    Would the same 24V charger work for each?

slow_runner & MikeP2013, Thanks for the battery pdf and Permobil owner's manual!:-)
    My Permobil Chairman Entra is from 2001. Best chair I've ever had - back when they were made in Sweden with high quality in mind!

Are gel batteries and lead acid batteries interchangeable?
    Would the same 24V charger work for each?
    Hi, We never had a problem with battery charger working on chairs with either AMG or Gel Batteries. We use same Lester, Solenoid Rapid, whatever brand of charger that came with Permobil 350 and ones came with AmySystem and Pride/Quantum Chairs. Just as long as plug/pins match up we have used them on AMG and Gel Batteries.

Years ago I think they did not have same charge port/plug common across all brands. I think now they are pretty much the same on all models.
    Only time could not use any charger use on a PaceSaver, in 1990's, pins/plug was smaller diameter and had use it's charger only. But, when charger quit working DME just cut off charger's plug/pins end and put it on another charger.
    Your chair age, 2001, is pretty long time to be in use. I still have a late 90's Pride Jazzy 1100 that I can't part with it's like an old friend. But it's so old, so much usage and has problems with weak motors to turn without a running go. It just collects dust in garage. Onboard Charger is broken so plug off board charger through the joystick port.

"Good Luck!" on getting your chair working!

AGM and Gel are lead acid batteries. AGM is typically charged at 14.6 volts and gel no more than 14.1 volts. So if you're going to use the charger that came with the chair, you'd probably be better served with the gels.

Other things to check for.

Some things to check:

Check for dirty or loose connectors/connections on the circuit board.

Check for loose wires on any of the connectors. Tug on them to make sure they are tight.

Make sure the battery connectors are clean and tight with no corrosion or oxidation on them.

Make sure the ground connector is tight and clean. A loose ground will give you all sorts of problems.

Check your charger connector and make sure the wires are tight and the connector/contactors are clean.

Buy yourself and inexpensive Volt-Ohm Meter, VOM at Walmart, Radio Shack, Sears Hardware, Ace Hardware or amazon.com and check your voltage at full charge and when you start to have problems. Fifteen dollars should buy you a decent one to check voltage.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

your charger could be putting out to many volts and damaging the batteries.

How do I check my chargers to see if they're putting out too many volts?

How do I check my chargers to see if they're putting out too many volts?
    Use a decent voltmeter across the terminals when the battery is undergoing a charge.
    As Royb also mentioned, the charger could be charging at too great a rate and/or not floating but continuing to charge when the battery reaches its fully charged state; generally in the 14.5 range(?).
    Sealed batteries have no capacity to vent the gases that are generated when allowed to be overcharged (boil). Without wanting to scaring the beejeezus out of you, these gases will find an exit, possibly catastrophic. Think a pot of boiling spuds and you trying to hold the lid on.

I am not an electrician. Best you get the system checked by a capable person and for your future needs, observe what is utilised and how; ask questions.
    My further advice?
    Do not use your current 'technician'. Sorry for the pun
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-21-2017 at 04:52 PM.

In my opinion most everyone agrees on one point your tech is not very good, and you likely have a charging problem. Educate yourself try using this site;http: //batteryuniversity.com as a reference. It may be a bit technical but it is very accurate and factual. Good Luck