Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery leaking! Anyone have this happen before?

Battery leaking! Anyone have this happen before?

My Permobil Chairman Entra occasionally stops briefly while it's rolling, then keeps going (the power doesn't shut off completely). It doesn't stop long enough to see any error codes on the joystick. When it continues rolling there are also no error codes.

I figured the batteries were dying and ordered a new set, even though they were barely a year old. When the tech from NuMotion came to change them we found that one battery was leaking from the negative terminal post! This is odd as they are group 24 sealed gel batteries! NuMotion now uses a brand of batteries called "VISION," instead of the reliable MK brand I'm used to.

After both batteries were replaced the tech said everything looked good and nothing was corroded. The chair worked fine for 10 days, but has begun to short out again. It will work fine for several hours, then start having problems, and then be fine again for hours.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Is my chair fried or is it fixable?

Batteries failing????

How extensive was the chair circuitry checked by the tech?
    First things first, did he check for problems with the charging unit?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 06-15-2017 at 07:01 AM.

It certainly could be the new set of batteries are defective. If you know how to use a volt meter check the voltage when it starts acting up. That can be done from the charging port. If it's the typical XLR Neutrix connector, stick a probe in the top and bottom pin sockets (top is typically + and the one on the side inhibit). You should have more than 24 volts.

Thanks slowrunner & Rustyjames. Those are great ideas! I can't physically test the new batteries myself, so I'll ask the tech to do it when he comes next week. NuMotion has had major trouble with the cheap Chinese batteries they're putting in chairs these days, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the new ones are defective as well.

We didn't think about checking the battery charger since we immediately saw the old batteries were leaking. How do you check the battery charger anyway?

The tech was not very helpful. He wanted to put in new batteries without cleaning the spilled battery acid out first. I wasn't gonna go for that and made him wipe it all out of the bottom pan where they sit before he put them back in. He also wired the batteries in backwards, turned the chair on, and when it didn't power up he immediately saw his mistake, turned the chair off and switched the wires. I almost had a heart attack! Thankfully the chair turned on and, like I said, ran for 10 days with no problem. He said the wire connection ends to the batteries didn't look corroded, but that's the extent of his circuitry check. I noticed white powder on the metal buckle of the battery strap (used to pull the batteries in and out on these old Permobils) so I know there was corrosion there. I don't even remember if he cleaned that off or not.

What I really don't understand is how a sealed gel battery can leak up at the top of the battery terminal!

Quote Originally Posted by beatscookin View Post
    Thanks slowrunner & Rustyjames. Those are great ideas! I can't physically test the new batteries myself, so I'll ask the tech to do it when he comes next week. NuMotion has had major trouble with the cheap Chinese batteries they're putting in chairs these days, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if the new ones are defective as well.

We didn't think about checking the battery charger since we immediately saw the old batteries were leaking. How do you check the battery charger anyway?

The tech was not very helpful. He wanted to put in new batteries without cleaning the spilled battery acid out first. I wasn't gonna go for that and made him wipe it all out of the bottom pan where they sit before he put them back in. He also wired the batteries in backwards, turned the chair on, and when it didn't power up he immediately saw his mistake, turned the chair off and switched the wires. I almost had a heart attack! Thankfully the chair turned on and, like I said, ran for 10 days with no problem. He said the wire connection ends to the batteries didn't look corroded, but that's the extent of his circuitry check. I noticed white powder on the metal buckle of the battery strap (used to pull the batteries in and out on these old Permobils) so I know there was corrosion there. I don't even remember if he cleaned that off or not.
    What I really don't understand is how a sealed gel battery can leak up at the top of the battery terminal!
    The old adage; attend to the simple things first.
    If the tech is not prepared to do even the most basic maintenance and physical checks first, I would say that your tech is wearing the incorrect label.
    Remember that these guys are supposed to serve you but invariable someone else is whipping them along with 'performance' demands. These days, bean counters rule.
    Can you get your hands on the factory schematic? You may have more luck with a suitably qualified electrician.
    I have no experience with gel batteries but with conventional wet cell, when they bubble it usually indicates unregulated over-charging. Wiser minds will know more.

Sorry to say that the individual who's doing the work doesn't seem like he's qualified; this seems to be a reoccurring theme it the industry.

I think I'd ask for another Tech to check system on your chair.
    Never had a battery leak in a powerchair but last winter the AGM battery in our Sprinter Van/diesel would not crank. Called Roadside Service to our home and Tech checked battery and found it was weak but also was leaking acid around one of terminals. He pulled it out and washed down with rags soaked in water into tray and dried it. He was worried about Glow Plug Relay under the battery tray that acid might damaged it.
    Which it must of done, a short time later relay warning light started staying lit. Get fault code even if only one of the five relay in module goes, it throws warning. But, we still had a few working cause still cranked in about freezing temps. Still when got colder we plug in heater, never used it before.

I think your tech is a first grade dropout. It sounds like you have a liquid filled battery NOT a Gel Cell. Find someone who knows the difference.

The spilled on area needs to be cleaned up with this:
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-05023...&wl13=&veh=sem
    The residue acid that is there now that you cannot see will continue to corrode and eat away at the chair.
    And yes gel batteries leak. My stair battery did, seems crazy. It left a black fifty cent mark in my hardwood step. I thought I had cleaned it up in time, but no. Battery acid is bad.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The leaking battery label says:

VISION (logo)
    VISION GROUP
    WWW.VISION-BATT.COM
    SCP12750 G24 M6 12V 75AH
    VALVE REGULATED
    RECHARGEABLE BATTERY
    CONSTANT VOLTAGE CHARGE
    CYCLE USE: 14.4-14.7V
    STANDBY USE: 13.38-13.8V
    INITIAL CURRENT LESS THAN 22.6A
    NON-SPILLABLE
    MADE IN CHINA

Can any one tell if this is a gel battery or not?

Unfortunately the NuMotion tech is my only option out here. No one else will repair my chair because I didn't originally buy the chair from them and they don't want to jump through the Medicare hoops. I'm going to have to walk him through a diagnosis myself. I'll start by checking the new batteries and battery charger. Then I'll have him check the battery leads to the power module. If that's all fine, what would I look for next?