Thread: Will power chair run off only one battery

Will power chair run off only one battery

I have a quantum Q600 power chair and one of the batteries is bad. Does anyone know if you can make it work with only one battery? I don't use it that often and when I do, I don't use it very long so if it will run with only one I don't want to put the money into another battery right now

No, won't run, and probably won't power up. Also batteries should be replaced in pairs, and balanced before installing.

Ok thank you. What do u mean by balancing?

When you get the new batteries connect them together in parallel (+ to + and - to -) overnight. This will put them at the same voltage so when you charge them they will both charge equally. If you're not sure about doing this have someone with the knowledge related to this topic do it.

Just throwing in...
    Even though each battery is a 12 volt battery each you basically running on a 24 volt system. As Mr. Rustyjames posted they hook up in Parallel in the battery tray. I never tried running a chair on one battery but have had powers with distance, seat function and etc. when even with new batteries when one battery was bad, bad cell, weak, etc. out of the pair. That's why they recommend when replace one you replace both so be same strenght. If you don't have both batteries in there just check for sticker usually located on the chair frame in view of batteries or your Chair's Manual for how to hook them together. Be sure all connections in tray are connected and each post of batteries are on tight. If not corrsion an't your chair or batteries' friend. i
    I'm not sure but think 600 uses 2- Group 22-NF 55AH batteries.
    Soapbox time: Get best batteries as you can. We bought pair at very low price at local stand alone battery store. Didn't realize til went to return/exchange batteries that they had 6 month warranty, guess what batteries lasted just past that time.
    Even when you don't use chair be sure keep batteries charged, they will last longer. New style battery chargers will float when batteries reach full charge.
    "Good Luck!"

Thank you for your guys help and information. I understand all of that now, I was just hoping I might be able to make work with one battery since I don't use that much and for very long intervals.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP2013 View Post
    as rustyjames posted they hook up in Parallel in the battery tray"
    In the the wheelchair they actually are connected in series, rendering around 26 volts, if they are good quality, and fully charged. I mentioned balancing them in parallel before installing in the chair to balance them.

I agree, it's a false economy to buy the cheaper batteries, you only get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    In the the wheelchair they actually are connected in series, rendering around 26 volts, if they are good quality, and fully charged. I mentioned balancing them in parallel before installing in the chair to balance them.

I agree, it's a false economy to buy the cheaper batteries, you only get what you pay for.
    "Thank you!" for correcting that.
    I know our backup chairs since insurance don't cover cost due to how expensive the DME's charge, we have get them elsewhere. Even Battery Disturbstion Warehouses have gotten so high around here in last 10 years or so, it's crazy! Years ago they was the cheapest and would change them out for us. But, then price went sky high for batteries, even U-1's.
    We have a nice neighbor who changes them out for us once we get new set. He just follows the diagram on sticker on frame. Since chair now is puzzle getting batteries slide out and back in he's afarid his memory might not be right. My Edge took him acouple tries to get wires back in so get batteries all the way inside so door would go back on. Course he is doing best he can and not a DME Tech, but he's sure been kind to us on upkeep on chairs and around house like yard work.
    I know they are high but SpinLife does ship to your house. We've used them before and UPS guy put them in garage til Neighbor could put on chairs.