Thread: Who do I call at an airport to complain about a curb?

Who do I call at an airport to complain about a curb?

There's a tiny two terminal airport that just opened near where I live. It's pretty convenient to fly out of except for a nonADA compliant curb leading to the only parking at the airport.

i normally don't complain about this kind of stuff, but it's a pretty big oversight for such a vital location like an airport.

im looking for results, not lawsuits or anything like that.

i just had no idea who to call. The airline or the airport and even when I get to them what department do I talk to? I feel like customer service would gladly say they were on it and then do nothing.

Most likely there is an airport manager or administrator's office. You should start there. Is this a privately owned field, or is it a public (like a municipal or county) property? You can also, in the USA, complain to the city or county ADA compliance officer, which all cities are required to have. This person can look into how this construction got permitted without making appropriate accommodations, and usually has the authority to get it fixed. The airport itself is covered under the ADA through the DOJ, while the planes are not, but are covered under the so-called "Access to the Skies" regulations (DOT). If you don't get any action as above, you can file a complaint through the ADA/Access Board's website. This can be a prolonged process, but you can explain to the airport manager that you would rather he resolve it than have to go through all of this, which would require his response to the DOJ and/or DOT investigators.

(KLD)

And just so somoeone can correct me if I'm wrong, they've got this standard type of suburban curb that's not a right angle or anything, but it sure is an abrupt increase in elevation that I have to wheelie over.

Just like the curbs in the above picture... I swear this was the first picture I could find with the right kind of curb... the appropriateness of the rest of the imagery was just too funny to resist.

Those kind of curbs aren't ADA compliant, right? I mean it hits way more than an 8% grade or whatever it is, and it would have been mad easy to just make it level where the pedestrian crossing is.

I get around pretty good as a T8 para, but it was sketchy for me navigating that with a suitcase on my lap, I almost took a spill.

Here is some information about requirements for curb ramps (the official name for curb cuts):

https://www.ada.gov/pcatoolkit/chap6toolkit.htm

https://www.access-board.gov/guideli...rb-ramps#ar405

This is the type of curb shown above.

I know those types of curbs ("mountable" or "rolled" curbs), and no, if that is all that is provided at crosswalks or corners, they do not meet the requirements under the ADA.

This modification also does not actually meet ADA requirements, but could be used as a temporary fix until they cut out the curb and lay a new qualifying curb cut: https://www.autosportcatalog.com/pro...urb-ramps.html

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-14-2017 at 01:04 AM.

Trailer parks have these to around were I live.

seems like more and more ADA don't mean much anymore
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 06-14-2017 at 04:27 AM.
    Art

Just like the curbs in the above picture... I swear this was the first picture I could find with the right kind of curb... the appropriateness of the rest of the imagery was just too funny to resist.[/QUOTE]

HAHA! Great picture, considering your post.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

You can also ask for the FBO (fixed base operator) who is basically the airport manager. The FAA, they supply federal money to the airports. Also check with the local zoning department and my favorite the fire department, (egress from a fire). If you can get inside check the bathrooms and ticket counters.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    Trailer parks have these to around were I live.

seems like more and more ADA don't mean much anymore
    I'm tending to agree with you.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident