Thread: Working out legs??

Working out legs??

hi so I'm a t3-t5 para I'm wondering is their any way to workout your legs and gain some kind of muscle back? My thighs and well my whole leg have lost everything and are so skinny I want to know if it's possible to build them up at all since I can't move or feel them? Any advice will help. Oh also do you guys have any daily workouts in bed you would recommend?

Don't you have any spasticity?? This helps maintain muscle bulk somewhat for many. FES is also a good way to do this. Passive movement of your legs will not help regain or maintain muscle bulk.

(KLD)

FES cycling is a great way to get your leg muscles active and rebuild some muscle mass.

The FES bike is crazy. It works electrodes up to your muscles and put your feet on petals and make your legs paddle for you. It's weird to be sitting there not doing anything at all of this on your out of breath. It's been a good 10 years since I've been on one but the experience was neat
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    The FES bike is crazy. It works electrodes up to your muscles and put your feet on petals and make your legs paddle for you. It's weird to be sitting there not doing anything at all of this on your out of breath. It's been a good 10 years since I've been on one but the experience was neat

Out of breathe ?? Never had that experience with mine. A standing frame my help keep what you have now. Other then that I think fes is it. I'm very fortunate to have BAD spasms so my legs haven't atrophied since my injury. Have 2 friends that have though and have same injury

Yeah, from my muscles working from the electrodes on them making me paddle. It was weird
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

FES Cycling at home is a must if you can. Im a SCI T8 and got the RT300 from Restorative Therapies 11 years ago and people think I'm newly injured all the time.

How did you guys go about getting a fes bike ?? Did insurance pay? Would I talk to same people that I got my chair through . Or is it all out of pocket

Rarely covered by insurance, other than perhaps Workers' Comp. Many people purchase out of their own pockets, and their are FES bikes on the used market. Some have had a kickstarter type fund raising campaign for the money. If you do this, just be careful that the funds are managed in such a way that it does not make you ineligible for any needs-based benefits you may be getting (such as SSI or Medicaid).

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.