Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recurring UTI's

Recurring UTI's

So I've been injured for over 10 years now and feel like I am aware of what my body is doing. I intermittent cath and have experienced UTIs previously, maybe one or two a year, and try to let my body fight them off or get on anabiotic's if necessary. In the past six months I have had multiple UTIs. I was put on a 30 day prescription, and the UTI returned as soon as my prescription ended. My urologist suspected a prostate infection and sent me to an infectious disease doctor. The ID doc wanted me to have a prostate massage in order to confirm it was a prostate infection. Being unable to void, the prostate massage did not work. Unsure of my infection being in the prostate, the ID doc sent me back to my urologist. My urologist put me on a different antibiotic for another 30 days. After the prescription ended I once again am having UTI like symptoms; cloudy urine, odor, bladder spasms, leakage.

I am looking for some advice on what to do. Mildly frustrated to say the least. I'm careful when I cath, drink plenty of water throughout the day, take cranberry supplements, and so on. Other than going to a bigger city, with better medical care, I'm unsure of what to do. One thing that is slightly peculiar with this infection, I typically wake up 2 to 3 hours after I have laid down to find I have leaked. Not sure if this is linked to anything.

I appreciate the responses, thanks.

Have you had a recent PSA level tested? This will also be elevated in cases of prostatitis. Generally, we treated prostatitis (based on the urine culture) for 6-8 weeks, not just 4 weeks.

Have you had a cystoscopy or bladder ultrasound to assure you do not have any urethral or bladder diverticuli or other structural abnormalities that could harbor bacteria?

Have you had recent urodynamics to be sure that your bladder pressures are not excessively high?

Have you had recent studies done for urinary stones (bladder, kidney, and ureter ultrasound or CT)? This can also cause recurrent infections with the same bacteria. Although not common, a renal (kidney) abscess should also be ruled out (usually by CT).

(KLD)

Are you and your doctors sure you were on the most effective antibiotic for the type of bacteria that caused the infection? Did your doctors order a urine analysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) to determine the bacteria causing the infection and the most effective antibiotic. After you finished the course of antibiotics, did you have another UA and C&S to make sure that the infection was eradicated?

SCI Nurse, thank you for the response. I have had a cystoscopy and CT. I also have a urodynamics test scheduled, but it won't happen for about three weeks. Wouldn't it be odd for my urodynamics to have changed after 10 years? The infectious disease doctor drew a blood sample, but I'm not sure if they tested my PSA level.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you had a recent PSA level tested? This will also be elevated in cases of prostatitis. Generally, we treated prostatitis (based on the urine culture) for 6-8 weeks, not just 4 weeks.

Have you had a cystoscopy or bladder ultrasound to assure you do not have any urethral or bladder diverticuli or other structural abnormalities that could harbor bacteria?

Have you had recent urodynamics to be sure that your bladder pressures are not excessively high?

Have you had recent studies done for urinary stones (bladder, kidney, and ureter ultrasound or CT)? This can also cause recurrent infections with the same bacteria. Although not common, a renal (kidney) abscess should also be ruled out (usually by CT).

(KLD)

My urologist did perform a urinalysis and culture. I did have another culture done, and it still showed an infection.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Are you and your doctors sure you were on the most effective antibiotic for the type of bacteria that caused the infection? Did your doctors order a urine analysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) to determine the bacteria causing the infection and the most effective antibiotic. After you finished the course of antibiotics, did you have another UA and C&S to make sure that the infection was eradicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D._1985 View Post
    SCI Nurse, thank you for the response. I have had a cystoscopy and CT. I also have a urodynamics test scheduled, but it won't happen for about three weeks. Wouldn't it be odd for my urodynamics to have changed after 10 years? The infectious disease doctor drew a blood sample, but I'm not sure if they tested my PSA level.
    No, your bladder can change with time, which is why urodynamics should be done every 2-3 years at least (for those without indwelling catheters). If you have chronic colonization, it should be treated before having urodynamics.

Doubt the infectious disease physician would do a PSA. Ask your urologist to order this. Did your CT get done of the entire urinary tract?

(KLD)

I'm not sure if the CT was of my entire urinary tract, but I will find out!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    No, your bladder can change with time, which is why urodynamics should be done every 2-3 years at least (for those without indwelling catheters). If you have chronic colonization, it should be treated before having urodynamics.

Doubt the infectious disease physician would do a PSA. Ask your urologist to order this. Did your CT get done of the entire urinary tract?

(KLD)

Get the surgery I did. Never a urinary tract and never a leak. Haven't had a urinary tract since ive had the surgery.
    They took part of my small intestine and sewed it to my bladder.. When i drink with buddy the have to pee 3 times to my 1 time. It's all good all around. There's always a "infection" in my pee because there's mucus in there do to your small intestine that produces mucus at all times.

How often do you cath? I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I switched to hydrophilic catheters and increased my cath frequency to 4-5 times every 24 hours. You might cath more frequently for a few days and make sure your residual isn't on the rise. Also, do you take oxybutynin or similar? I had to adjust the dosage upward slightly to stop leakage. Surgery would be my absolute last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sit-N-Fly View Post
    How often do you cath? I was in the same boat as you a few years back. I switched to hydrophilic catheters and increased my cath frequency to 4-5 times every 24 hours. You might cath more frequently for a few days and make sure your residual isn't on the rise. Also, do you take oxybutynin or similar? I had to adjust the dosage upward slightly to stop leakage. Surgery would be my absolute last resort.
    Surgery would be your first resort if ya knew how good it works.....i think they should do it to "us" before we even leave rehab. I can drink 3 bottles of water at gym and not worry about pissing my pants, can you ? Do you wear underwear or depends ? Do you have to wake up in middle of night just to piss, i don't ...... Actually go do a sleep study thing for sci people and the folks there say I'm the ONLY one they've seen that doesn't wake to piss. Can you feel when ya have to piss ? I can, couldn't before surgery. It'll actually wake me up.
    Might wanna rethink