Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Hi Trea, First thing is that the 6.6A Dakota linked above is not the one I bought for the I-Glide. The url has changed since I linked it. My battery as I noted was to the left in the photo at 10amps and physically larger.
    That said I have some questions in my own mind about your project. It sounds like you plan to use and maybe have been using an I-Glide battery in the Tailwind. If that works fine. But what I don't know is if a hacked I-Glide battery would also work.

I suppose you could test with an old working nimh battery first by charging it and quickly cutting all but the two power wires. Anyway since you know how to do this, I am not happy enough with the 10A Dakota battery pack. Looking at the ZX1 thread we learned Spinergy specified 15Ah for their lithium battery pack. Ah and A are not the same thing. If I explain this correctly A just explains how big a nozzle you have to deliver the juice, while Ah describes how big the gas tank is. There is another descriptor for the size of the gas line which I think is C rate. I may have those all wrong, but based on the ZX1 we need at least 15 Ah and that is determined by the individual cell makeup of the battery pack. The only way I know to build a good battery is do it yourself from known quality high mah milliamphour cells in series and parallel.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks for the info nonoise. Do you think @maddog Eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries would be a good route to go given the 2 wires will do what I need? I know absolutely nothing about those batteries, so any input on how to do them would be great? He mentioned them in the 3rd or 4th post in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    Thanks for the info nonoise. Do you think @maddog Eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries would be a good route to go given the 2 wires will do what I need? I know absolutely nothing about those batteries, so any input on how to do them would be great? He mentioned them in the 3rd or 4th post in this thread.

I only know that when Maddog got the cells they preformed excellently for him. Time changes things. edit: they may not be selling the same quality cells today.
    Maddog had a photo of his Headway setup, it looked like more than eight cells if I remember correctly. Eight would only be one series string, two series in parallel would be better. From the Headway site, eight 15Ah cells run $184, but you have to add to that the connectors, holders and BMS. Note that they also sell completed 24V battery packs for reasonable prices, one of which is 8s2p (8series2parallel). Physical size gets to be an issue.
    Last edited by nonoise; 06-27-2019 at 03:19 AM. Reason: clarity
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Is maddog on here yet? I wonder if I could see the pictures and get some info from him? Also if you were in my situation (use the chair every day and don't have one battery that will last including 2 subc's I built this Spring) what would you be replacing with?

Is maddog on here yet? I was wondering if I could see those pictures or get some information from him as well? If you were in my situation (ie. Use the chair all the time, and don't have a battery to make it through the day including 2 subc's I built this spring) what would you build? :-) . There has to be something better than what I have now. Thanks

Here is a bad news story. Look back to my 10 amp battery pack in post 64 of this thread. I also have several supposedly 6.6 amp packs from the same source which are made up of 14 individual NCM lithium cells arranged in series and parallel. One of these packs was too weak to power my chair for any worthwhile time so I connected two of them together in parallel separated with a switch for when they are not in use. And I charge them individually. This works just fine when I've forgotten to keep the bigger battery up and need a backup battery. So each of those little cells is marked with the manufacturers name, what the cell is (size) and a date code. Yesterday I bumped into a site which unscrambles the date code. It turns out the cells in my 6.6 amp packs appear to be fake Samsung cells. https://batterybro.com/pages/18650-d...de-lookup-tool. This news eliminates for me any consideration in the future for Dakota batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    Is maddog on here yet? I wonder if I could see the pictures and get some info from him? Also if you were in my situation (use the chair every day and don't have one battery that will last including 2 subc's I built this Spring) what would you be replacing with?
    Your new subc's should work. If you soldered the cells you might have damaged a few with too much heat. What I remember of Maddogs setup was that the cells looked to be mounted on the flat crossmember just below where the battery usually hangs. That is why my mental picture of it sees more than eight cells, but I can easily be wrong.

I'm curious, how far do you suspect you like to push in a day? My 10A Dakota doesn't burn out in a day, but I do not trust it to do something like going to the fairgrounds.

I'm not sure how far I push in a day, but I would like something that will get me around a fairgrounds or my kids ball tournaments consistently.

Lithium battery specs needed to run iglide wheelchair
    Lifepo4 for safety (new types that are also safe may be available I have not kept up with latest technology)
    24v may also be listed as 25.6v
    Produce at least 20A constant current
    Have amp hours of 6ah or above to about 15ah. Bigger the ah the farther you can go on a charge, weight and size also go up. 6ah equals stock Tailwind battery.

This is a company I have bought from in the past
    https://www.batteryspace.com/256vlif...terypacks.aspx
    Look for batteries with the right specs, a lot don't meet the 20A needs, also look for a pack with the best physical size to fit with your chair or old iglide battery case.

I looked for Headway batteries but can't find a US source.
    This would work but you would have to buy from China
    http://evcomponents.com/lifepo4-batt...tery-pack.html

Is this what you mean? I know it's only 10ah but I thought that might be ok?

Powerizer LiFePO4 Battery: 24V 10Ah (240Wh, 20A rate) - Replace SLA 24V 10Ah with 4 times cycle life, lighter weight - UN 38.3 Passed

See Reviews
    Your Price: $240.00

In Stock

Product ID # 7031
    Part Number:
    LF-LA24V10

Quantity:
    Add to a new shopping list
    Email this page to a friend

Quantity Discounts

QuantityAmount
    5 to 20$232.80
    21 to 50$228.00
    51 to 100$223.20
    101 or more$216.00

Features
    Feature
    • 25.6V 10Ah LiFePO4 rechargeable battery

VoltageNominal: 24V; Charge Cut off: 29.2?0.05V; Discharge Cut off: 19.2V
    Capacity10Ah?5%
    Cycle Life>1000 cycles (80% of initial capacity @ 0.2C rate, IEC Standard)
    Operation Temperature Range
    • Charge: 32F (0?C) ~ 113F (45?C)
    • Discharge: 14 F (-10?C) ~ 140F (60?C)

Storage Temperature Range
    • Less than 1 month: 14F (-10?C) ~ 104F (40?C)
    • Less than 3 months: 32F (0?C) ~ 86F (30?C)
    • Less than 1 Yesr: 59F (15?C) ~ 77F (25?C)

Protection
    • One PCB installed with the battery pack and protects the battery from
      • Over charge and over discharge
      • Over current protection
      • Short circuit protection

TerminalB1 Terminal - (See gallery picture 1 / 2)
    Charge rate
    • Standard: 0.2C (2A)
    • Maximum: 0.5C (5A)

Discharge Rate
    • Standard: 0.5C (5.0A)
    • Maximum Continuous: 2C (20A)

Impedance
    • ≤40mΩ (50%SOC at 25?C)

Dimensions(LxWxH)181 mm(7.1") x76mm(3.0") x 166mm(6.5")
    Weight5.0 lbs 11.4Oz (2.59 kg) --- 60% lighter than 24V 10Ah Lead Acid battery
    Warning:
    • Do not use in series or in parallel
    • Must use LiFePO4 charging circuit. Do not use Lead Acid charger to charge this battery.

Last edited by TREA18; 06-28-2019 at 12:36 PM.