Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

OK I am confused (short trip) Quote; " I don't run both batteries, only the lipo.

Which are we talking about? Lipo or LiFePO4 they are different chemistries entirely. Pictures help. All the reports about BMS I have read are pretty negative. What size or model chair do you use ? Also i you would the advertised speed and size of battery originally intended by the manufacturer.

Lipo--- batteries are pretty hairy things, there have been some big disasters using them. But some folks have done some pretty amazing things with them. I am just hot too sure I want to want one under my seat while cruising along.

LiFePO4 are a whole different issue. Just an opinion and asking questions not judging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    OK I am confused (short trip) Quote; " I don't run both batteries, only the lipo.

Which are we talking about? Lipo or LiFePO4 they are different chemistries entirely. Pictures help. All the reports about BMS I have read are pretty negative. What size or model chair do you use ? Also i you would the advertised speed and size of battery originally intended by the manufacturer.

Lipo--- batteries are pretty hairy things, there have been some big disasters using them. But some folks have done some pretty amazing things with them. I am just hot too sure I want to want one under my seat while cruising along.

LiFePO4 are a whole different issue. Just an opinion and asking questions not judging.
    I only run the lifepo4, not in parallel with the original nimh battery. I don't have a lipo just wrote that wrong.

The original battery was a 24v 5.6ah nimh.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I also happen to use a GPV 16" sling in the house. I measured both chairs at the widest part of the wheel to the chair frame. I-Glide is about 1/2 inch wider each side. My I-Glide has an eighteen inch wide seat, so that's one reason I don't use it in the house, but not the main reason. I set up for outdoor use with 2 X 8 pneumatic casters, so combined with it's wheelbase those are a little large for indoors. And it is quick. The newer model, Tailwind has sensitivity settings that might tame it down. I don't know. It also appears the Tailwind has a shorter wheelbase, but no option for large casters.
    Hmm. I found the IGlide brochure, tried their website www.iglidenow.com but it said it can't be reached. Are they still in business? I haven't been able to fine any information on price.
    Anyway, it sounds like you don't feel it would be a good in home chair. That's to bad. At this time, when I go somewhere, I have to transfer into my power chair, I'm 63 and my shoulders are shot. It would be nice to have one chair I could use for both around the house and daily trips around town.

Thanks, Wes

Iglide is now Tailwind and sold by Clinton River Medical. It is fine for in the house it just takes some getting use to, inside and outside it is all I use.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Iglide is now Tailwind and sold by Clinton River Medical. It is fine for in the house it just takes some getting use to, inside and outside it is all I use.
    thanks for the info

btw - do you turn off the power when inside the house?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    thanks for the info

btw - do you turn off the power when inside the house?
    I turn it on anytime I move.

I don't run both batteries, only the lipo. You don't need the circuit board or the thermistor, the only thing you need from the battery box is the red and black wires. Connect those to your new battery and you are ready to go. If I remember correctly there are two red wires on the battery box just combine them and connect them to your positive on your new battery. I took a hacksaw and cut the connector out of the battery box so I could interface with the chair and hard mounted the new battery to my chair. The red and black wires are all you need, I think the thermistor is only used with the iglide charger not the chair.
    Congratulations, you broke the code. There are I-Glides sitting all over the place that can't be used because Clinton stopped selling old style batteries and changed the plug interface so new ones can't be used either. I was too chicken to try what you did because of the "data, clock, and thermister" connections. If I had a backup controller, which I was looking for, I would have tried it. I thought the clock connection had to do with the push timeout, but I guess not, that is good. And I am surprised about the thermister too because whenever I disconnected the other thermister, the "gas gauge" went to one flashing red light and I'd have to start the recharge cycle over. But reconditioning old dead batteries was never my intent. I wanted to upgrade to new lithium. I happened to find at an e-bike manufacturer some they could not use, so on a whim and chance I bought the whole box cheap.

In one of these battery boxes one red wire goes to the battery first and the other goes to the circuit board, so probably only one is needed, it's a matter of knowing which one.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I bought the 15ah diy kit, it comes with a BMS so everything is charged correctly. I have used it for 3 years now and it works great. 15ah turned out to be overkill but it allowed me to put a 12v outlet on my chair to charge my phone and run a heated jacket in the winter. The only downside is I no longer have a battery gauge but with 15ah I don't ever run out so that is not an issue.
    Never running out of power is sweet. I have a couple of other 24V batteries I could use that are much better than these NMCs if I have to.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

There you go. I'm just clumsy. Actually even though I now cannot voluntarily move my legs anymore I still prefer to keep the range of motion available, so I don't want them on a fixed footrest inside the house. Yeah it can make going across the room difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Congratulations, you broke the code. There are I-Glides sitting all over the place that can't be used because Clinton stopped selling old style batteries and changed the plug interface so new ones can't be used either. I was too chicken to try what you did because of the "data, clock, and thermister" connections. If I had a backup controller, which I was looking for, I would have tried it. I thought the clock connection had to do with the push timeout, but I guess not, that is good. And I am surprised about the thermister too because whenever I disconnected the other thermister, the "gas gauge" went to one flashing red light and I'd have to start the recharge cycle over. But reconditioning old dead batteries was never my intent. I wanted to upgrade to new lithium. I happened to find at an e-bike manufacturer some they could not use, so on a whim and chance I bought the whole box cheap.

In one of these battery boxes one red wire goes to the battery first and the other goes to the circuit board, so probably only one is needed, it's a matter of knowing which one.
    It has been a long time since I looked at this but I think most of the wire connectors on the chair are blank, the positive and negative and I think that is all. The charger connector uses most if not all. The plug pins are labeled on the battery so it is easy to see what the chair needs and what the charger needs.