Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

nonoise is the discharge current what you were talking about when you said some of those batteries aren't big enough?

Also, maddog the last battery you listed is that the specs on the one I posted or is that one you think will work?

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    nonoise is the discharge current what you were talking about when you said some of those batteries aren't big enough?

Also, maddog the last battery you listed is that the specs on the one I posted or is that one you think will work?

Hi Trea, I am not sure what your question to me is but I am pretty positive the battery Maddog found specs for is the same as you posted. They have the same ref number of BLF-2410A. Yours is shown in the picture, I believe that is how he googled it. That being said, he notes 10Ah may not be enough to satisfy your needs which is all the BLF-2410A battery has.

Last night I removed enough of the wrapper my regular I-Glide battery, the one I use all the time in order to find out what it is made of. I discovered it has 35 Samsung 22P NMC cells. They are arranged in five parallel strings of seven cells each, normally written 7S5P just to confuse things. Keep reading. Knowing that, I now know the Ah of my battery pack, You see when I bought it I only knew it was a 10Amp 24Volt battery pack. But knowing what cells the pack is made of and their configuration I can now calculate the Ah. Each cell is a 2150 mAh. 7 in series is still 2150, but they add up to 29.2V fully charged. 5 of those strings in parallel add up to 5X2150=10,750mAh or 11Ah. Get more than that. Is my recommendation.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    when I bought it I only knew it was a 10Amp 24Volt battery pack.
    Do you get by with a 10A battery output? Does it feel low on power when going up steep hills?

It is the specs for the battery you posted. A capacity of 10ah should be plenty, 10A output may not be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Do you get by with a 10A battery output? Does it feel low on power when going up steep hills?

It is the specs for the battery you posted. A capacity of 10ah should be plenty, 10A output may not be enough.
    When I am traveling on our almost flat north - south street next to our house and then turn the corner to go up the 6% grade around the corner, I see no real difference in push effort. However I do know at another spot on the lawn it is even steeper, such that I must come to a stop and lean forward to avoid tipping back and getting hung up on the anti tips. I weigh 200 lbs and the chair is 50 so it takes some effort to get the chair moving fast enough to get the motors to engage, but then I.m good to go.

It is interesting that our Ah experiences differ. Could it be my brushes need replaced? I wouldn't think so since the chair does perform fine otherwise. One thing I did find is that I do need axle bearings, but then again I think those only come into play during freewheel, (motor off) operation.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I discovered it has 35 Samsung 22P NMC cells. They are arranged in five parallel strings of seven cells each, normally written 7S5P just to confuse things.
    Those individual Samsung cells have an output of 10A. Your battery should be 50A after 5P. I know parallel doubles capacity, does it not also double the capable amps? Does your battery have a pcm limiting the total output to 10A?

I see in an older post you stated you had a Watts Up meter, any chance you could connect it to your iglide battery and see what the highest amps the chair draws. Knowing the exact amps needed would help determine what batteries will work.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Those individual Samsung cells have an output of 10A. Your battery should be 50A after 5P. I know parallel doubles capacity, does it not also double the capable amps? Does your battery have a pcm limiting the total output to 10A?

I see in an older post you stated you had a Watts Up meter, any chance you could connect it to your iglide battery and see what the highest amps the chair draws. Knowing the exact amps needed would help determine what batteries will work.
    I tried and failed to prove or disprove your 50A statement. It is well documented that parallel packs add Ah, but I saw no mention of A one way or the other. I did see several instances of folks who had constructed 90P packs. Think of the current 90P would develop. So I believe the amperage stays the same when batteries are connected in parallel with or without pcm/bms.

Using a Watts Up is a great idea. I've decided to order a second one for testing purposes instead of tearing into the permanently mounted other one. Besides I lost the instructions, it seems to me there was something not so straight forward about the installation. Initially I'll just use one of my little 14 cell battery packs and see what it reads out since that is the easiest to set up.

Paralleling Doubles the current output (and Ah)

Series has no effect on A/current but doubles V/voltage, (and yes, for engineers current is I)
    Last edited by pfcs49; 07-06-2019 at 05:29 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

Series has no effect on A/current but doubles V/voltage, (and yes, for engineers current is I)
    Thanks Phil, Here is an example from https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...configurations. That find eluded my search earlier:
    On March 12, 2011 at 10:07am
    ===paste=======
    Brian
    wrote:

@Kolin
    No, that?s not right at all.
    20 batteries @ 1.2V and 4.5 A
    To get to 12 V you need 10 in series giving 12 V @ 4.5A
    Do this twice and place the two sets of 12 in parallel, you get 12V @ 9A.
    You overall battery capacity Wh, can not exceed the sum of the individual pieces.
    20 batteries @ 1.2 V and 4.5A = 5.4 Wh per cell or 108 Wh total.
    The same above, 12V @ 9A = 108 Wh.

====end=====

This also clears up the mystery why those bargain batteries I bought that were supposed to be 6A ran my I-Glide, but have little staying on time. They are the same type Samsumg 22p cells 2150Ah which are rated at 10 Amp. Why the clerk told me otherwise, I do not know. Anyway there are 14 cells inside. Seven parallel pairs of two cells each connected in series. The parallel pairs of 10 Amp cells would make it a 20 Amp battery, plenty enough to power the I-Glide like Maddog said way upthread.

I should post a pic of this low Ah 20A battery. It looks pretty familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

I got to thinking Phil might know that because he is a car guy. Oh damn! I've been hooking car batteries together (jumping) since I was a teenager. I should have known, it's not just how long the battery pair will last but how good it will crank. Thanks again Phil for waking me up and teaching me something. BTW I hated it in college when they started using I.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-06-2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: better word

I'm back and thanks for all your help. All of you. After reading, we are some what concluding that if I go lifePO4 that it should be 24V, at least 10ah and 20a?