Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Yep I'm the iglide application, so that battery you posted for $319.00 that one should work for me? If that battery is one I could use. What are the 2 leads? Could one be hooked to the chair plug and the other for charging?

Thanks for the info so far.

Tony, both of the batteries you posted should work. The motorcycle type battery is somewhat physically larger but does have the advantage of having a better case and is probably more waterproof. I like the idea of separate charge and discharge wires but it probable makes no difference.

10ah is more than enough. That is almost double the iglide battery and after many years it will keep that 10ah vs nimh fading after time. Iglide battery is probably closer to 4ah after a year of use. On 7/28/2019 my battery will be 6 years old and has not shown any signs of slowing down. I have gone through 3 chargers but never a battery issue.

One more thing, you will not be able to see your state of charge of the battery. Your Tailwind battery gauge will most likely show full charge until the last little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    Yep I'm the iglide application, so that battery you posted for $319.00 that one should work for me? If that battery is one I could use. What are the 2 leads? Could one be hooked to the chair plug and the other for charging?

Thanks for the info so far.
    The lower one it appears is the charger port. The other should be a black and red pair which would mate to the black and red 1 and 3 terminals on the battery case. My experience with LifeP04 chemistry batteries has all been positive. But they are bigger and heavier than Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) which I prefer. It appears that this LifeP04 319 battery can be quick charged. So if I were to get it, I'd call them and check that out and purchase the appropriate charger.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Most packs that are pre-made come with everything you need minus the charger.

Chargers can be found here. You will need one in the 24v section with an amp rating less than your max charge rating on your battery.
    https://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...terypacks.aspx

This is the charger I have and I like it but it is 6A and may be more than some batteries can handle.
    https://www.batteryspace.com/smartch...amiyaplug.aspx

All the chargers I have had have fans for cooling that fail over time. The one above has lasted several years.

Ok that makes sense about the gauge on the tailwind not being able to read these batteries.

maddog do you think I should charge everyday after using, no matter how hard/far I go? Or what is your charging routine? Also, when you say I need a charger less than the 10a or 15a in your case rating on these batteries. Is that what you mean?

Any thoughts on this battery?
    Last edited by TREA18; 07-01-2019 at 09:20 PM.

I have looked at that battery and it may work but I would try to find something different. I don't know how much amps the iglide can consume at max power, I just know it is fused at 20A. That battery is rated at 20A for 5 seconds. It probably would work but I would hated for you to go up a big long hill and have the battery shut down from being worked too hard.

BLF-2410A Battery Specifications
    Voltage: 24V
    Capacity: 10Ah
    Case Type: PVC Pack
    Charge Connector: DC Barrel Plug
    Discharge Connector: Anderson Powerpole PP45
    Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 10A (Make sure your load consumes less than 10A)
    Maximum Peak Discharge Current: 20A (5 sec.)
    Maximum Continuous Power: 240 Watts (24V x 10A = 240 Watts) (Make sure your load consumes less than 240 Watts)
    DimensionsL x W x H) 8.5 in. x 3.3 in. x 3.2 in. (214 mm x 83 mm x 82 mm)
    Weight: 5.3 lbs. (2.4 kg.)
    Includes built-in PCM (protection circuit module) which provides internal cell balancing and management, protection from overcurrent, undervoltage (overdischarge), overvoltage and short circuiting, and has integrated charging circuitry
    Available 110VAC/220 VAC Charger

Compatible AC-to-DC Charger Specifications
    Input Voltage: 110 VAC
    Output Voltage: 29.2VDC
    Current: 2A <----- Max charge rate
    Connector: DC Plug
    Model Number: BPC-2402DC

As for the charger each battery should list the max charge rate. For that battery max is 2A so 2A and below charger would work.

The battery place is telling me I probably need a high current discharge rate. Is there such thing as to high of a current discharge rate for these chairs and what is ideal?
    Last edited by TREA18; 07-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.

No such thing as too high a discharge rating, but you can go too low. You can't have too many cranking amps on your car battery but you can have too little. Anything over 20A is fine.

Sounds good. That's what they were telling me for size.