Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Quote Originally Posted by cadamson View Post
    ... Anyway, trying to charge it now = solid red on the converter box...
    Back to the beginning, this is what the I-Glide manual says about a solid red indicator:
    =================Paste=================
    ...The charger may be stored between -15 and 5O'C
    (5 and 122"F), but can only be used between 0 and
    40"C (32 and 'l 04"F). lf the battery/charger is
    under/over temperature, the red LED will be lit on the
    charger. Charging will recommence when suitable
    temperature is reached....
    ==================end paste=============

I just noticed this says battery or charger.
    Last edited by nonoise; 12-31-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

What I Should have said was I had a solid red light and a solid green light, but when I wiggled it, I also could get a blinking red light. My pins on this charger must be a little bit loose as it turns out, so when I had solid red and green it simply wasn't connected. On my other charger (never really used), it just blinks red.

Since my husband is the one that runs out into the garage with the battery and then comes back in, I will have him read what you guys wrote the second time And Try and see if you can get it to spark

This will probably sound na?ve but if he is doing this in our 30? garage and then walking into the house to where the charger is, is that taking too long, Or does that one minute charge of the circuit board last for a little bit?

This will probably sound na?ve but if he is doing this in our 30? garage and then walking into the house to where the charger is, is that taking too long, Or does that one minute charge of the circuit board last for a little bit?
    Don't know, NIMH as opposed to Lithium have a nasty trait of quickly self discharging and if left too long will self destruct. Whether or not a minute of 12V shock voltage will last on a discharged battery, I guess depends on the battery. Can you guys bring the 12V charger inside the house?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Hey maddog, couple questions. I heard that when Clinton River stopped selling batteries for I-Glides when they switched over to Lithium. The reason they gave is that they wouldn't work, fit, connection, I don't remember the exact story. Do you know about this? And didn't you switch over yours to Lithium?
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-02-2020 at 05:54 PM. Reason: clarity

I don't think CR ever switched over to lithium. A lot of rumors that they updated their battery design and would no longer fit the older iglide but I am not sure of that either.
    I think one of the reasons companies stay away from lithium is air travel. There are restrictions on how large a lithium battery you can take on a flight. The battery has to be removed from the chair and carried on. My 15ah (360Wh) battery is hard mounted to my chair and is also too large, therefore I can't fly with my chair.
    https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/...nfo/?hazmat=37

[QUOTE=maddog;1890791]I don't think CR ever switched over to lithium. A lot of rumors that they updated their battery design and would no longer fit the older iglide but I am not sure of that either.../QUOTE]

One of those rumors may have started because a member here was refused a new battery for their I-Glide, CR saying it no longer fit. They may have lied to preserve stock.

[QUOTE=nonoise;1890815]
    Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I don't think CR ever switched over to lithium. A lot of rumors that they updated their battery design and would no longer fit the older iglide but I am not sure of that either.../QUOTE]

One of those rumors may have started because a member here was refused a new battery for their I-Glide, CR saying it no longer fit. They may have lied to preserve stock.
    When I got the CR tailwind chair in 2016, I used my old iglide batteries interchangeably in the new chair, CR also asked me to test their new battery before the chair even got on the market (in my old iglide). I do not quite understand why they still would not sell the battery alone except maybe to force people to buy the new chair. They charged $950 per battery when the old iglide battery was only $350.

Dang I wish they had not gotten sued for 8 million, Ruined my world.

Going to try to get that battery of mine going again today, wish me luck

Going to try to get that battery of mine going again today, wish me luck[/QUOTE]

My Husband has tried using this charger... https://www.batterychargers.com/site...9001462-R0.pdf

This is 12V/6V

If the battery is going to work, this should work, correct?

SC-1000A-CA
    Input Voltage........................................... .............................................120V AC @ 60Hz, 2.5A
    Output Voltage........................................... ..................6V or 12V, with Auto Voltage Detection
    Output Current Rating............................................ ........2A DC @ 6V DC; 10A DC @ 12V DC

Going to try to get that battery of mine going again today, wish me luck
    My Husband has tried using this charger... https://www.batterychargers.com/site...9001462-R0.pdf

This is 12V/6V

If the battery is going to work, this should work, correct?

SC-1000A-CA
    Input Voltage........................................... .............................................120V AC @ 60Hz, 2.5A
    Output Voltage........................................... ..................6V or 12V, with Auto Voltage Detection
    Output Current Rating............................................ ........2A DC @ 6V DC; 10A DC @ 12V DC[/QUOTE]

With all the safety stuff on this battery charger we can't even get a current to show up with just touching my nails together?

We found an older charger in the garage that did not have the safety stuff on it and guess what????

GREEN! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cadamson; 01-04-2020 at 07:02 PM.

We found an older charger in the garage that did not have the safety stuff on it and guess what????

GREEN! THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!!!
    That fancy first charger was doing the same thing the I-Glide charger was doing. It needed a target voltage.

Now that you are getting charged, you can check your true battery voltage with a meter on pins 1 and 3. I know you have the lights, mine needed to be removed when I upgraded to Lithium. At any rate, try to keep this battery charged up as the low end of charge is bad news on these NIMH types.