Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

I can't find the url for the swap right now, but there was no mention of needing to alter the charger or diodes. Isn't the original 4000?. It seems to me mods jumped to 8500. I wish I knew where I put those docs. Maddog probably has it. At any rate the charging time would just be increased.
    I looked at your Maxxpacks.com site, nice find BTW. I think you do need to do some size - volume calculations before buying though if he wants to look original. The original are two sets of twenty in parallel arranged in tube fashion. Maxxpacks uses a different setup, so the cells might not fit to the best advantage.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshSt View Post
    ... I have found 6v 5000mah NiMH sub-c stick packs at Maxxpacks.com...
    How did you choose the the 5000 mah packs? price? discharge rate? amperage?

I would be tempted for the 10000 mah packs, but I don't know about the discharge rate of 10 amps except that the I-Glides fuse is rated at 10 amps, so it may be enough of a discharge rate. Frankly I don't understand how the same chemistry can have varying discharge rates. I think it's called the C rate.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I had no problems with the original charger. The last battery I rebuilt using 60 cells by adding a third leg in parallel. I had to expend the case but everything worked fine including the charger. You will have longer charge times with a higher capacity battery.

I wish iglide/tailwind would produce a higher capacity battery for purchase for those of us that don't get by with the standard battery.

Thanks for the feedback. I started down the 5000 mah cell route with maxxpacks because I had read good reviews on other forums and they had a 5 cell straight pack listed on their site. I talked with them a couple times about the charging concerns and also cell size. For some reason the 5000 mah sub-c cells make a longer/larger diameter pack (I didn't investigate why in detail) so we settled on 3800 mah sticks so I could use the existing case without modification. The 5000 mah cells would have almost doubled the original capacity of the 2800 mah/cells though which would have been nice. This will still be an improvement in capacity and the chair ECU should still discharge the cells at the same rate just have a longer run time. The charger uses the thermisters embedded in the pack to monitor cell temp during charging so it is able to charge the higher capacity cells with no problem although it will take longer to charge. Sounds like a simple enough swap so far. I ordered the batteries Thursday and I have a notification that they will be delivered on Saturday. These guys have been great to work with and I hope to have the cells swapped in soon. I will provide some pictures and an update after I get the pack together and charged.
    Steve
    Last edited by MarshSt; 09-16-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Today found the paper copy of the 5000 nimh upgrade that came with the used iglide I bought. Mine came with the 5000, maybe I know I've seen this online somewhere also, but cannot find it now. In order to get it back online, I've scanned it and am going to try to repost it here. I don't know who authored it.
    shute, too large, I'll reduce it and hope it is still legible. double shute, www.shrinkpictures.com/ won't shrink it.
    I'll email the file to anyone who wants it.

Success, first I reduced the file in Irfanview and then in shrinkpictures. As I said I do not know who the author is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    As I said I do not know who the author is.
    That was a post of mine from this topic http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ind-wheelchair
    I don't know why the pictures no longer show up.