Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

I am trying to determine what a full charge of a top quality I-Glide battery is. It is a 24 volt battery, but the charger output is marked 28.8 volts, and the Nimh cells full charge could add up to as high as 32 volts unless restricted.
    So has anyone checked the voltage of their battery on any of these chairs? I want to switch chemistries but am reluctant until I have more data. I won't use the Panasonic charger as it is set up for Nimh. Thanks for reading.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

See if you can get some advice on a robot fighting sight. Those guys hop that stuff up. Are they NiMH batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    See if you can get some advice on a robot fighting sight. Those guys hop that stuff up. Are they NiMH batteries?
    Yes they are NiMH cells. There are two parallel sets of 20. My question is more specific to the wheelchair than the actual battery pack capacity which I think would be about 32.0 volts. I've lucked out and rounded up several old, dead packs that I have shocked back into accepting a charge from the I-Glide charger. These old batteries get close to what the chargers rated output is at 28.8 volts. So what makes me wonder is if the I-Glide folks purposefully set a high voltage charge cutoff. Maybe more voltage would cause damage to the chairs controller, I don't know, and don't want to risk it. That's why I want to know what a fresher I-glide battery delivers.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I run eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries in my iglide with no problems. 25.6v pack that charges at 29.2v while still connected to the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    I run eight 3.2v Lifepo4 headway batteries in my iglide with no problems. 25.6v pack that charges at 29.2v while still connected to the chair.
    I thought you were the one who had successfully converted to lithium. I'm having a bit of an issue with the printed circuit board in the battery case since it wants to be part of the overall system. My question to you is are you running both batteries, yours and theirs in parallel? If not what did you do with the loose end of the thermister wire on the plug interface end of the battery box?

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    If you charge this battery how do you assure the balance of the charge in these cells? Which of these Headway series of batteries do you use? Most of the batteries are not just plug and go charging systems. While they have very great promise for mobility users, there are a lot of things that must be done to convert your modern day power wheelchair to an efficient and effective LiFePO4 system. The anticipated and useful life span of this kind of system is about 10 years probably longer than most users might live, (certainly myself). In daily use These LiFePO4 cells properly set up should allow a user far more distance traveled per charge for an equal AH equivalent lead/acid battery. They are the future, maybe even the present.

nonoise,

I've been considering some type of power assist for a manual chair like E-Motion or Twion wheels but they add 2-4" to the width of the chair. But my house just barely handles my Quickie GPV with a 16" sling. The IGlide looks like the power assist components are under the seat and wouldn't add to the width of the chair. Is this correct? Do you use it as an every day chair around the house? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the chair.

I know this is off topic but it's the first time I've seen this chaiir.

Thanks, Wes
    Last edited by wes4dbt; 06-14-2017 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    nonoise,

I've been considering some type of power assist for a manual chair like E-Motion or Twion wheels but they add 2-4" to the width of the chair. But my house just barely handles my Quickie GPV with a 16" sling. The IGlide looks like the power assist components are under the seat and wouldn't add to the width of the chair. Is this correct? Do you use it as an every day chair around the house? If so, I'd like to hear your thoughts about the chair.

I know this is off topic but it's the first time I've seen this chaiir.

Thanks, Wes
    I also happen to use a GPV 16" sling in the house. I measured both chairs at the widest part of the wheel to the chair frame. I-Glide is about 1/2 inch wider each side. My I-Glide has an eighteen inch wide seat, so that's one reason I don't use it in the house, but not the main reason. I set up for outdoor use with 2 X 8 pneumatic casters, so combined with it's wheelbase those are a little large for indoors. And it is quick. The newer model, Tailwind has sensitivity settings that might tame it down. I don't know. It also appears the Tailwind has a shorter wheelbase, but no option for large casters.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I thought you were the one who had successfully converted to lithium. I'm having a bit of an issue with the printed circuit board in the battery case since it wants to be part of the overall system. My question to you is are you running both batteries, yours and theirs in parallel? If not what did you do with the loose end of the thermister wire on the plug interface end of the battery box?
    I don't run both batteries, only the lipo. You don't need the circuit board or the thermistor, the only thing you need from the battery box is the red and black wires. Connect those to your new battery and you are ready to go. If I remember correctly there are two red wires on the battery box just combine them and connect them to your positive on your new battery. I took a hacksaw and cut the connector out of the battery box so I could interface with the chair and hard mounted the new battery to my chair. The red and black wires are all you need, I think the thermistor is only used with the iglide charger not the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    If you charge this battery how do you assure the balance of the charge in these cells? Which of these Headway series of batteries do you use? Most of the batteries are not just plug and go charging systems. While they have very great promise for mobility users, there are a lot of things that must be done to convert your modern day power wheelchair to an efficient and effective LiFePO4 system. The anticipated and useful life span of this kind of system is about 10 years probably longer than most users might live, (certainly myself). In daily use These LiFePO4 cells properly set up should allow a user far more distance traveled per charge for an equal AH equivalent lead/acid battery. They are the future, maybe even the present.
    I bought the 15ah diy kit, it comes with a BMS so everything is charged correctly. I have used it for 3 years now and it works great. 15ah turned out to be overkill but it allowed me to put a 12v outlet on my chair to charge my phone and run a heated jacket in the winter. The only downside is I no longer have a battery gauge but with 15ah I don't ever run out so that is not an issue.