Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

That makes sense on the fancy charger. Can you tell I struggled in semester 2 of physics? Part of my Ph.D. dissertation, however, was characterizing neurons electrophysiologically (voltage-gated channels) as well as immunohistochemically for ion channels (potassium, K+ variants), I visualize biology better than hmmm, electrochemistry, much less engineering my own battery.

So how long do the Li battery charges last? And Nonoise and Maddog, do you both still have old tailwind/iglides? When you converted your batteries, was there a concern about voltage and cpu damage?

Quote Originally Posted by cadamson View Post
    So how long do the Li battery charges last? And Nonoise and Maddog, do you both still have old tailwind/iglides? When you converted your batteries, was there a concern about voltage and cpu damage?
    I have a I-Glide spare here that I made up from some new surplus cheap NCM lithium cells. It is not a great battery, only use it for backup, but it has been idle for at least two months and has only lost 0.1 volt.

I use my I-Glide everytime when I go outside and first thing for a short time in the morning and evening downstairs before transferring to my stairlift. I'm pretty sure maddog has both working versions of I-Glide and tailwind.

I was very concerned about damaging the cpu when upgrading, but my used I-Glide came with a failed battery and I did not want to go with more MIMH as they are so similar to NiCad which I hate. So I happened on this box of 24V NCM lithium batteries at a local shop for cheap. Using one of those I made a direct battery replacement into the I-Glide battery box. It did not work. I think it was at this point when maddog told me to take the printed circuit board out of the I-Glide battery box. How he figured that one out is pure genius. But there is logic to it because the original battery had a maximum charge of 28.8 V while the lithiums charge up to 29.2. So there is probably a high voltage cutoff on the printed circuit board that we removed.

You are not supposed to switch charger chemistries due to the way they taper off charging rates. I am not so sure that one would get in trouble with a NIMH charger on a lithium battery. You just might need a high AH battery to get enough charge before the taper. Sorry got into something that's been on my mind awhile.
    Last edited by nonoise; 01-05-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarity if that was posible
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

... Part of my Ph.D. dissertation, however, was characterizing neurons electrophysiologically (voltage-gated channels) as well as immunohistochemically for ion channels (potassium, K+ variants), I visualize biology better than hmmm, electrochemistry, much less engineering my own battery. ...
    Interesting because my paralysis is caused by what they call a defect on the Calcium channel on chromosome 1. What happens is K+ gets stuck in my muscle cells which depolarizes inactivates them. It is sort of like a discharged battery since adding K+ to the blood serum will correct the electrics.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

What does this do to your heart?

What does this do to your heart?
    Great question. For almost all of us the only genetics affect is on the skeletal muscles, not smooth muscles. However the heart needs the correct level of K+ in the blood serum. So when my K+ drops too low it shows as a depressed ekg t-wave.

Wow, that is a challenge. Sensory intact and lose motor?, is there a gradation of symptoms or whole body at the same time? Was this discovered at birth then? What is the disorder called, I cannot quick like find it on chromosome 1. This is just curiosity

Wow, that is a challenge. Sensory intact and lose motor?, is there a gradation of symptoms or whole body at the same time? Was this discovered at birth then? What is the disorder called, I cannot quick like find it on chromosome 1. This is just curiosity
    Yup sensory intact and lose motor. At NIH they would tickle my feet to see if I would wiggle. I hated it, it seemed cruel. Periodic symptoms vary, usually extremities, can be legs, arms, even only fingers. But for me was usually legs, sometimes one worse than the other. Now both legs are permanently gone and myopathy is moving in everywhere else. In my case the disease was not known until 16 when I was totally flacid in ER. Luckily I had a good doctor who figured it out. Most don't as there are so few of us with this rare disease and even at that we are mixed up with something like 20 variants and counting. It's called Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis. Much of what has been written is full of errors. The ones I trust are hkpp.org and periodicparalysis.org.

Cadamson, did your battery hold charge after your charged it.

A local friend is updating his iglide battery and I am helping him get the parts. If everything goes as planned it should be a much easier conversion. I have to wait several weeks for parts to come from China but we should have it together by the end of March. If it works well I may sell partially assembled DIY kits to switch over to lithium.