Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

NoNoise, I appreciate the compliment but I don't think you should hold back on posting your LiI conversion. Function is always first and if it gets the job done as you intended then it is a success!
    I don't have the chair but I have another project in the works for him and I will get your fully charged voltage measurements the next time I can get my hands on it.
    Attached wires might be easier to work with if they are directly welded to the cell ends but I haven't seen any done this way either.
    It sounds like you have your chair set up very well for your use. This chair was one of the early units (Cannondale AL frame) and the frame was not sized for him (too short). The chair spends a lot of time on the wheelie bars due to this. This was sort of a test to see if he will try to transfer the drive tech onto another chair or order a new chair that is properly fitted.
    Steve

NoNoise, it took a while to get access to the chair again but I was finally able to get battery voltage readings. The chair has had limited use since the end of October 2017. I put the battery on the charger overnight and checked the voltage immediately after it was disconnected and got 27.95V from both pins. 8 hours later 27.82V, 24 hours later 27.62V 36 hours later 27.54V. All measurements were taken with the battery on the bench.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by MarshSt View Post
    NoNoise, it took a while to get access to the chair again but I was finally able to get battery voltage readings. The chair has had limited use since the end of October 2017. I put the battery on the charger overnight and checked the voltage immediately after it was disconnected and got 27.95V from both pins. 8 hours later 27.82V, 24 hours later 27.62V 36 hours later 27.54V. All measurements were taken with the battery on the bench.
    Steve
    Thanks, but it is disappointing to read you are not getting theoretical maximum cell voltages which would add up to 32V. But it is what was expected since the charger says 28.8V. At 32V we could get longer battery life, if the I-glide was designed to handle it.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Here are some pics of the battery upgrade to lithium:
    I used two I-glide battery cases because the off the shelf lithium battery pack I chose did not fit inside one case.
    Crap, they are in reverse order.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I have an iGlide and a Tailwind. Is there someone able to rebuild the batteries for me? I have three iglide batteries and to Tailwind batteries. I would love to get them switched to lithium-ion. If so, I wouldn't need all the batteries. I'm considering selling the I Glide. I'm also interested in getting a set of emotion Wheels. Know anyone selling some?
    Last edited by Wheelz19; 04-07-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Something like this should work well, the specs check out. It has bluetooth built in with a high peak amp output and already has a waterproof case.
    6.3lbs, anyone weigh a stock iglide battery?

http://e-onbatteries.com/index.php/2...t-battery.html

Wheelz19, did you sell your iglide? As I am finding the company has gone belly up, (Clinton River), I may start scavenging for parts, batteries, the whole cpu etc. And did you ever get batteries rebuilt?. I have gone through two of them in the last two years oddly and costing ~900 per from Clinton River.

I am also interested in building a new battery with different chemistry, but I want to go the safe and simple route. Any advice would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by TREA18 View Post
    I am also interested in building a new battery with different chemistry, but I want to go the safe and simple route. Any advice would be great.
    Are you asking about an I-Glide? If so what part of the above thread is not safe or simple? As for advice do not use the I-Glide charger when switching chemistries. If you buy a battery pack as I did just get the charger for the new pack and charge it using the connection on the pack, not the I-Glide connection.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Are you asking about an I-Glide? If so what part of the above thread is not safe or simple? As for advice do not use the I-Glide charger when switching chemistries. If you buy a battery pack as I did just get the charger for the new pack and charge it using the connection on the pack, not the I-Glide connection.
    I actually have a Tailwind but I'm assuming everything is the same. Actually one of my best batteries yet is an iglide that I still use. I think I want to use the Dakota Lithium mentioned earlier and set it up like yours with a new charger as well. Do you think that's a good option?