Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ds lock?

ds lock?

my lock keeps loosening and engaging i tighten the bolt on the lever but it doesnt stay for long

its like it starts loosening up and engages the brakes anyone else have this happen
    on my old locks it never happened but these are getting old i guess
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Have you tried liquid thread locker?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Blog Entries
    I had issues like that after many years of use. The nut that holds the lever has some form of rubber grommet inside of it that wears out or hardens over time. I found a replacement at Home Depot and that solved the issue.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I had issues like that after many years of use. The nut that holds the lever has some form of rubber grommet inside of it that wears out or hardens over time. I found a replacement at Home Depot and that solved the issue.
    That sounds like a lock nut. Notice the nylon insert in this random example for illustration only https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-C...k-Nuts/4756347
    Forget the lock tite. I've had instruction sheets for other products that say never reuse lock nuts.
    Last edited by nonoise; 02-23-2020 at 07:09 PM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    my lock keeps loosening and engaging i tighten the bolt on the lever but it doesnt stay for long

its like it starts loosening up and engages the brakes anyone else have this happen
    on my old locks it never happened but these are getting old i guess
    Mine are about 2 months old and just started doing this, notably on cold nights. Really nerve-wracking and disappointing. I tightened up the bolt, but don't feel like I can trust them.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    That sounds like a lock nut. Notice the nylon insert in this random example for illustration only https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-8-C...k-Nuts/4756347
    Forget the lock tite. I've had instruction sheets for other products that say never reuse lock nuts.
    Yep, that's precisely what it is!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    Mine are about 2 months old and just started doing this, notably on cold nights. Really nerve-wracking and disappointing. I tightened up the bolt, but don't feel like I can trust them.
    Sounds quite a lot like the polymer insert on the lock nut is losing friction. That part itself might be old or defective, even though the locks themselves are fairly new. I'd replace that lock nut and see if it's any better. Especially if you've messed with it a bunch. They wear out quite quickly if they aren't just set and forgotten.

Maybe you do need both lock nuts and thread lock. And since you are getting a new nut, replace the bolt at the same time. Be sure it is not too long so as not to wear out the nylon while tightening.

My Magic Wheels came with both lock nuts and thread lock But those particular MW nuts have a ridiculously low tightening specification of only 10 inch pounds.

bushing needs replaced
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    bushing needs replaced
    whats the bushing ive replaced a plastic type washer
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]