Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: I-Glide battery charge, or Next, even Tailwind

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Impressive what everyone has been doing to keep their iGlides and Tailwinds going.
    The chair is one of the most reliable things I have ever bought. There is so much junk out there that does not last but these things just keep going. I went through insurance to get a Tailwind in 2014. My old iglide was completely worn out and I desperately needed something new but it took one year for the Tailwind to get approved. During that waiting time I found a unused used iglide and bought it to keep me going until the Tailwind came. I decided to wear out the iglide before going to my new Tailwind, that was 5 years ago. My old iglide is still going strong and the Tailwind is still sitting in the closet.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Success, thank you maddog. I don't know why it works, I don't care. This is the third device I've removed the printed circuit board from and had a great outcome. The first was a second smartdrive I picked up cheap, the second was a bathchair that the batteries had corroded the board and now this. I used the same battery box that came with the chair since those were the worst batteries. This time without the battery box printed circuit board the chair performs like they advertise. A soft push translates as a tiny roll, but a good push and the chair moves out. It definitely works better.
    Did you originally hook your lithium battery to the wires that originally went to the nimh cells, running the lithium power through the circuit board? Did this not work? I am thinking that running power this way would help the new tailwind keep the power adjuster working. This is something I never tried but it seems the battery did not work at all for you, is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by maddog View Post
    Did you originally hook your lithium battery to the wires that originally went to the nimh cells, running the lithium power through the circuit board? Did this not work? I am thinking that running power this way would help the new tailwind keep the power adjuster working. This is something I never tried but it seems the battery did not work at all for you, is this correct?
    Yes ran it through the circuit board, no go, it would not accept my battery. All I did was try to swap batteries using plus on the lithium to plus in the box where I had cut the wire from the nimh and the same routine with the neg. There is no reason that I know it failed to show on the "gas" gauge or posts 1 and 3. FWIW, both pos and neg from the bat go to the circuit board.

Edit: NEWS FLASH
    After a couple of years plus posting time this I think I know why no go. The charging voltage of the nimh charger is 28.8. That means the nimh batteries will not reach more than 28.8 volts. It just may be that the battery box printed circuit board has a high voltage detection circuit set to cutoff power above 28.8 volts, commonly called HCV high cutoff voltage. However, my fully charged NCM battery should have 29.2 volts, 0.4 volts more than the nimh's.
    Last edited by nonoise; 07-26-2019 at 01:01 AM.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Ok thanks. I guess removing everything from the inside of the battery is the only option.

Ok thanks. I guess removing everything from the inside of the battery is the only option.
    Not for your new charger. Look at it's specs: Output Voltage 28.4VDC. I was going to mention it earlier, but did not see it as being a constructive post. 29.2 is the voltage I expected to see as that is what the SD LifeP04 cell charger is. The reason might be is that the thinkers are saying it is best to not charge to full capacity in order to prolong battery life. They also say if you do charge fully up do it right before use. And I also see elsewhere let the battery sit a half hour before use. I mean who you gunna believe. I haven't had any trouble with what I've been doing, fully charging and letting them sit. Oh yeah that is another, store at 60%.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

The chair is one of the most reliable things I have ever bought. My old iglide is still going strong and the Tailwind is still sitting in the closet.
    Want to sell that Tailwind Mad Dog?? Only half joking...I'd consider it if the size was right...

My daughter has had her Tailwind for four years now. When I got it for her, they said when she grew, there would be a bigger frame available, and we could just switch over all the electronics. I bought new batteries from CRM just before they went out of business, so she's still in good shape as far as that goes...BUT....she's almost too big for the chair now, and I have no clue what to do. She LOVES that chair. I'd love to get another one, slightly bigger, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen. Looking at other power-assist chairs now, but I just don't know if she'll be happy with anything else. She's 14...won't be a happy adjustment...ugh.

I am going to keep my Tailwind, probably switch over to it this winter. There is a broken one for sale on ebay that has a good frame, might be too big. I think he is asking too much for what he has but he may sell just the frame for less.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tailwinds-P...IAAOSwf71dSvBe

If she really likes the tailwind motors you could swap them over to a regular manual chair. Have a machine shop weld mounting brackets on the frame and swap the motors over. It would not be straight forward swap but should not be too hard and would allow her to keep using the tailwind motors.

If she really likes the tailwind motors you could swap them over to a regular manual chair. Have a machine shop weld mounting brackets on the frame and swap the motors over. It would not be straight forward swap but should not be too hard and would allow her to keep using the tailwind motors.
    Ok, thanks...I'll look into both!

Maddog and Fast Joey, John Box (john@u2mobility.com) is going to switch my motors off my chair working with Colours when I get a backup I can live with (perhaps never???), Be careful doing this stuff, they are tailored to the chair and if dimensions are not right, I think you'll run the risk of destroying the motor (gearing pressure)