Thread: Setting up a networked computer that doesn't go onto the internet

Setting up a networked computer that doesn't go onto the internet

I have an older PC that I want to install Windows XP on, have it connected to the homes network but have it blocked from the internet to prevent hacking and malware. Is this possible and if so, how do you do it? (basic instructions)

Thanks...

On your router you'll need to block it with an outbound firewall rule after first reserving a LAN IP address for it (also done on the router). It might be possible to block it with a firewall on there computer but that could we worked around.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

How can I configure intranet access without allowing Internet access?

http://windowsitpro.com/networking/c...nternet-access

If you don't want to block Internet access at the firewall, you can create an IP Security Policy and use Group Policy to push it to the appropriate workstations. (Note that IP Security Policies aren't the same as IPsec. Windows implements IPsec through IP Security Policies, but IPsec is only part of IP Security Policies.)

Thanks, but it doesn't matter much now, as my mother is currently using the computer because hers quit working properly...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I have an older PC that I want to install Windows XP on, have it connected to the homes network but have it blocked from the internet to prevent hacking and malware. Is this possible and if so, how do you do it? (basic instructions)

Thanks...
    Just curious...you have to connect hardware to you network to be connected to the internet so just dont connect it. But with an older computer and windows xp? Is that even doing thing because thats such an old operating system.

If they are playing games and viewing content or movies etc..

Why not just upgrade to a simple Chrome book for a little more the $100 and just add free protection to your network?