Thread: Need help tightening Monarch Mark 1A Right Angle Hand Control

Need help tightening Monarch Mark 1A Right Angle Hand Control

Hi,

I have the right angle hand control. Push in for brake, pull down for gas. But there is too much give/leeway when pushing down for gas. When pushing down, it takes at least 3 inches before there is any acceleration. Does anyone know how to tighten this so when i start pushing down on hand control, it will give it gas almost right away or with little leeway? Thanks!

The steel rod that comes up from the gas pedal slides into the pice comming down from the cam unit. The bottem pice slides into the top pice, but is not attached solid. This is so one can still drive using the gas pedal with your foot. The two pieces slide into each other, so that the gas peddle can be depressed with a foot, with the bottem pice sliding out of the top tube pice
    I'm pretty sure the bottem pice has a nut threaded on it, that you move up and down to adjust when the top tube starts pressing on it.
    Just follow the rod up from the gas peddle to the nut.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    The steel rod that comes up from the gas pedal slides into the pice comming down from the cam unit. The bottem pice slides into the top pice, but is not attached solid. This is so one can still drive using the gas pedal with your foot. The two pieces slide into each other, so that the gas peddle can be depressed with a foot, with the bottem pice sliding out of the top tube pice
    I'm pretty sure the bottem pice has a nut threaded on it, that you move up and down to adjust when the top tube starts pressing on it.
    Just follow the rod up from the gas peddle to the nut.

Hi, thank you for responding!

I have attached a photo with a red circle. Is this the nut thread you're talking about? I have to have my brother mess around with it because I can't do it myself, so I just want to make sure this is the nut you're referring to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes that's it. Looks like the tube is all the way down to the nut in the picture. When your brother is done messing with it, make sure that when you depress the gas peddle down, that the two pieces are still inside one another. Like if an AB person was driving.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Typically, when the controls are installed (properly) they usually don't require any adjustments. It looks like the bracket with the two Allen grub screws, that attaches to your accelerator pedal, might have moved from its original position causing the excessive free play.

make sure they do not bind when you push the pedal down with your foot or hand. the rod that is connected to the pedal needs to slide smooth back into the upper tub. have someone push just the pedal down all the way to the floor and then release to be sure.

I think I'm good now. In the picture in post #3, the pic was taken after my brother twisted the nut upwards, so at that point the hand control hit the gas after just the slightest downwards pull. But now we moved the nut to the middle and everything works fine. The tube slides into the other when foot pedal is pushed down too. I didn't touch those grub screws on foot pedal, so I hope they're ok. Thanks guys! Big help