Thread: Caster wheel expansion joint

Caster wheel expansion joint

On reading the TiLite TR3 thread by Vjls I thought to check out the fork and casters on my 2GX.
    There had been some indication of something not quite correct for a day or three, so with the prompt from that thread I got my A into G

I discovered that the fork bearings are near their end date. The freeplay needed adjustment on both with one being the greater problem.
    The caster bearings are near shot and need replacing asap. I could clean and repack I suppose but at bugger all for a set of skate bearings I will get new. Commonly there was some hair pulled in and wrapped about the axle but not much this time; when I first bought the chair it had enough for a toupee
    Human hair is aggressive on bearings.

The chair is 9 years old and still holding together well.
    An interesting thing about these FG Epic casters are the 'expansion joints'
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks like the "expansion joint" is a crack. May be time for new casters.

IMO the 'expansion joint' is too straight to be a crack; to me it appears to be from from the original manufacturing process.

Your bearings are 608RS, which is the standard for casters of many types, including roller boards and skates. I use Bones Super Reds bearings in my FL Epic casters; Bones are absolutely fabulous.

(Before disability I was an avid skater, and used Bones casters and bearings on my skates.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 06-12-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    IMO the 'expansion joint' is too straight to be a crack; to me it appears to be from from the original manufacturing process.
    Your bearings are 608RS, which is the standard for casters of many types, including roller boards and skates. I use Bones Super Reds bearings in my FL Epic casters; Bones are absolutely fabulous.
    (Before disability I was an avid skater, and used Bones casters and bearings on my skates.)
    Hi Chas. The expansion joint remark was partly in jest. That it could be from original was my thinking too, but how to be sure. Maybe built in design?
    The wheels function well enough and there is plenty of tyre left and not flattened out in any way.
    I am looking at sourcing some skate bearings from one particular seller who has 'Independant ABEC7 bearings' that they reckon are
    "FASTER THAN BONES? SWISS - LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE!"
    • Fast as .......! Featuring removable non-contact labyrinthe shields, grit blocking cage, stainless steel races and balls
    • Set of 8 bearings with spacers and SpeedRings

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Looks like the "expansion joint" is a crack. May be time for new casters.
    That the line is not located at the same place on both casters might suggest that they are indeed cracks.
    If they were 'built in' I would suspect they would be located at a constant position relative to the brand icon.
    Is someone else cares to inspect their Epic casters for evidence of similar, or not. That would determine what I have here, either cracked casters or ones with a built in design that allows bearing fitment without risking wear of the housing when fitting replacement bearings.
    Whatever it is bfd, they run well enough and have lots of life left in them. Unless that is a crack and it causes grief further down the line I will use them until they bust.
    Now, that could be a sorry tale to tell

My hunch is that it's cracked.
    I don't think it's a problem.
    If you are real curious, knock the bearing out to confirm. (if it is cracked, the bearing should come out real easy)
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

ok guys dumb question granted they had to drill tap the screws out on glides as rusted but 2 hrs 178.00 to replace bearing? yes thats what i paid i went to 2 different advative place and i had bearing

Back in the day when TiLite refused to offer the aluminum version of the Frog legs soft roll but offered the composite version, the composite FLSR's almost always had cracks in them. This could affect rolling resistance because the bearings weren't perfectly aligned. The milled aluminum hub of a FrogLegs or LiteStream soft roll ensures that everything stays in alignment. It plays a bigger role than the quality of the bearing. I haven't changed out my ABEC7's for years, They used to spin for >60 secs but I'm lucky if I get 30 seconds now. Even so, there is no noticeable effect on efficiency. Maybe the effect would be more with a front heavy chair, but I have no desire to change my configuration to find out.

Does not surprise me. Next time ask a local farmer, they can fix anything!