Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quickie QRI or AERO Z First Rigid Chair

Quickie QRI or AERO Z First Rigid Chair

I am new to this forum. I am looking at my first rigid wheelchair. I am rather lost and confused. These are the two chairs I am looking at. The Quickie QRI because it is both adjustable and economical. Cost is a factor. The Aero Z I understand to be a better quality chair but obviously more expensive.

I have to pay out of pocket in order not to wait 3-4 months with no guarantee that insurance will help. The standard chair I am using now will not last. My husband and I are working on financing. (I am checking to see if I can submit my own claim to insurance but finance in the mean time, if that makes sense).

I find both good and negative reviews for both companies.

I do not find much on the QRI in particular, mostly reviews for the Quickie 7.

So far I am using spinlife because they have a few payment options.

The DME dealer said online retailer would be less expensive and he only accepts credit cards. no financing etc.

So, the gentleman I am working with at Spinlife has been very nice. He is the one that suggested the QRI over the Aero Z as a first chair. He suggested that as a first chair you will be discovering what you need, like etc. His suggestion that upgrading wheels that can go from chair to chair would be better than spending it on the frame itself as they wear out and your needs change.

I also have a question about tires. I am looking at the Kenda Kobra as it is a hybrid tire. I live in the mountains and every time I go out I am going between pavement, dirt, and gravel. It seems to have good reviews other than the tread wearing out faster.

Are there any suggestions to think about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am overwhelmed by information and may be way over thinking and researching. I am good at that.

Thanks, C

Quote Originally Posted by cklovesflowers View Post
    I am new to this forum.
    Welcome

These are the two chairs I am looking at. The Quickie QRI because it is both adjustable and economical. Cost is a factor. The Aero Z I understand to be a better quality chair but obviously more expensive.
    . . .
    So, the gentleman I am working with at Spinlife has been very nice. He is the one that suggested the QRI over the Aero Z as a first chair. He suggested that as a first chair you will be discovering what you need, like etc.
    90% good advice. I will add - manufacturers make their chairs differently, IMO your first chair will prepare you well for a great fitting second chair from the same manufacturer. The fine tuning of a one manufacturer's chair does not translate well to a different manufacturer. I started with an adjustable rigid chair then moved up to a fixed rigid chair from the same manufacturer; the transition was a breeze.

His suggestion that upgrading wheels that can go from chair to chair would be better than spending it on the frame itself as they wear out and your needs change.
    I am a function-trumps-form person; To me basic wire wheels work great - consider upgrading only if a function is achieved with the upgrade. For example, standard wire wheels will not stand up to athletics (e.g., basketball, tennis, rugby). Also wire spoke wheels will prevent you from reaching beneath your seat between the spokes. You also may want to try different diameter wheels; I started with 540mm (24") and then changed to 559mm (25"), which I like much better. And any decent bike shop will work on wire or mag wheels; not so on 'fancy-spoke' wheels.

I also have a question about tires. I am looking at the Kenda Kobra as it is a hybrid tire. I live in the mountains and every time I go out I am going between pavement, dirt, and gravel. It seems to have good reviews other than the tread wearing out faster.
    I have a pair of Kendra Kobras. They're great tires. Because I'm an urban user, they don't get much use (they are not even mounted right now). They are rougher on my hands than my preferred tires. I'd use them more if I were in the country.

Are there any suggestions to think about? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am overwhelmed by information and may be way over thinking and researching. I am good at that.

Thanks, C
    One thing I'll volunteer: weight is a factor only when you must lift your chair with your shoulders. I carry lots of stuff on my chair. Its published transport weight is about 10#; with all my stuff, it weighs over 55#. It's very nimble, the weight makes absolutely no difference in handling, but I load my chair into the car with a Bruno lift.

You're not over thinking this at all. The world of wheelchairs is exceptionally complex. Visiting this forum is a great start.

PS: my wife loves flowers, too - live ones - she doesn't like to watch cut flowers die
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I'm just a lurker around here, mainly because there is a LOT of really helpful information on this forum and I don't have much to add beyond what is already said. There is a lack of info/reivews on the Quickie QRi though.

I can't comment on the Aero Z, but we bought my wife (MS diagnosed for 16yrs) a QRi as her first chair a year ago from spinlife due to price and the ability for me to make adjustments.

The adjustability has been great as I've been able to help her try different things for comfort and usability. During this year I've made various changes from changing the height front and rear, changing wheel/axle width, adding center of gravity, changing back angle, removing brakes, and changing the side guard position. Also changed to a Stimulite cushion.

We went with the standard spoke wheels when ordering due to pricing, but I recently snagged a pair of Spinergy wheels on eBay for $200 to save a few pounds (literally 3lbs total vs. the standard Quickie spoke wheels) when I'm putting it in the car a couple times a day. She also said it feels more maneuverable, but that might just be placebo, although she does only weigh about 115 so the percentage of change is higher for her than some other folks. It did make it nicer to load in/out...

Total weight on her chair now is 26.5lbs, which includes random stuff in the under seat pouch. That's a QRi as follows:
    16x16, 1" per side inset, 80* front angle
    10", fold-down, standard upholstery back w/ integrated handles
    5" Volcano light-up casters w/ standard forks
    Spinergy Spox 24" wheels
    SHOX solid tires
    Coated aluminum handrims
    Stimulite Thinline cushion
    Underseat pouch with wallet, hand sanitizer, notepad, pen, fidget spinner, a woman stuff
    No brakes (she crazy!)
    Low plastic side guards
    Leg strap
    Tubular foot rest w/ plastic cover

Hope that helps! It does feel like a big investment at first (even at the low end of the spectrum like the QRi), but it makes a big difference in being more independent. And, while I agree that function>form, having a chair that you can feel comfortable in as well as perceive that you look attractive in is important also.

I also agree that your first chair is basically a stepping stone to your second chair. You'll learn what you like and don't like, what fits or doesn't, etc...

Pic for reference:

Thank you Chas! for your reply and your welcome to the site!

Pss - I too love flowers that are alive. I love wildflowers. of course I also love wearing them in my hair, then pressing them and incorporating them into art in one form or another. Then they continue living. Your wife takes after my own heart.

anyway, This is helpful. both confirmation and thought. Weight is a factor. Two goals. I can both get myself to the car, and as a passenger put my chair in the car. then, next step will be hand controls on my little Mazda (her name is lulabelle) three in so I can drive.

One thing at a time. I didn't think about manufacturer to manufacturer. At this point I am not sure I am that concerned about it. but it is something I will keep in thought. gives me more questions to ask PT.

I am glad to have real world opinion on the Kenda Kobra. One box checked.

I have so many questions. I am happy to have found this forum. Not just for wheelchairs, but to browse down and see a forum on non-traumatic/disease sci was just way cool. This probably sounds crazy but until recently I didn't think of myself as have spinal cord injury. I giggle at myself now, but I never went to the spinal cord injury support group at the rehab center I was at because I thought I didn't belong.

No matter, this is a start and thank you. I will keep browsing, and maybe start chiming in and asking more questions.

I hope you and your wife have a great day, thank you again,
    C

You're welcome! (my wife names her car too (also a Mazda): Malificent)

Another great forum site is PatientsLikeMe
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking user.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

oh that is awesome!

and thanks!
    C

I had created a rather large post about my wife's QRi, but when I posted it said "waiting for admin approval".

In the mean time, I'll just say we are happy with the QRi adjustability and price point. Now when she needs a new chair we know what settings/measurements she prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhigs View Post
    I had created a rather large post about my wife's QRi, but when I posted it said "waiting for admin approval".
    Your first post has now been approved. It was held up by the software which sees a first post that is very lengthy and includes links or graphics as potential spam.

(KLD)

If you are dealing with difficult surfaces to negotiate (dirt, gravel, etc) look more at the front tires than the rears. The larger the fronts the easier to get through tough stuff. Small wheels dig in to soft surfaces, so you end up wheelie-ing through it if you can. Small tires are good for indoors, hard surface and maneuverability.
    I've not found it makes much difference what rear I use and I deal with all kind of surfaces, sand being the worst. Nothing really helps in it.
    I'm on Primo Sentinals now, but have used about everything out there. Knobbies seem to be good for locking your brakes and dragging dirt in the house.
    Don't spent a bunch of money on fancy stuff. A good set of spoke wheels don't weigh much more that the most expensive ones made from unobtainium (a car racing term for expensive parts). I've had the same set for 35 years. Replaces some spokes ( a few cents a piece, not big $ like the plastic and carbon fiber ones), but that's it.
    You can generally save more weight by taking the change out of you purse.
    If you can try a chair first that really helps. The same with cushions. (I make most of mine from car seats at the junk yard. Mercedes and BMW don't use junk in their seats.)
    Once you get the chair don't be afraid to change the adjustments, and come back for advice.

Have you been watching ebay? If you're going to be lifting your chair in and out of a car, I'd go with Spinergies and titanium.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12