View Poll Results: Do you get offended when people use phrases like "hit the ground running"?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

39 97.50%
  • Yes, if they catch and correct themselves

1 2.50%
  • No, as long as they catch and correct themselves

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you get offended by...

Some individuals need to seek marriage, so there will always be someone ready to fight with them.

I tend to say "I'm off to the store". I would not take it kindly if hubby replied, "You're just off."

if things like that offended me, id spend a lot of time being offended. I got called a freeloader by my rumptser landlord. that offends me. iv paid my rent with my ssi check for nine years but he said I could go be disabled out of someone else's pocket. we've never not paid our rent. He got mad because we helped a neighbor who is disable, who couldn't pay their rent, and now we are all freeloaders in his silly mind.

causing hatred for disabled people is offensive, and that's what's going on out there today.

I like the way KLD put it. it's a sign you arn't defined by your disabilities.

The way I see it, and have always said this. "If your offended, thats your problem not mine" People joke with me all the time. I will say "hey will you get me a beer" and there response "are your legs broke"? People are so damn ass chapped in this day in time. Hell my own grandmother the other day was fussing about my dads shorts with holes all in them. Then turns to me and says "I bet you only wear the ass out of your jeans now". Haha Laugh it up folks life is to damn short to bitch about dumb stuff!

Id say you are WAY overly sensitive if ya get offeneded by that and ya need a valium or Xanax or something....loosen up

No offence.

gjnl I hope you don't leave this forum. You are a valuable asset to this group with your years of experience you have to share with the fresh outs that seek help and information. We all come across sandpaper people. Don't let adversity stop you from posting here.

I was at the barber shop last July and one of my neighbors in Lorain down the street from me who is 94 years old said to me, "You're the cripple that lives down the street from me?" I replied, "Yes, I'm the cripple that lives down the street from you." I took no offense to that comment because that was his terminology in 1930's.

Actually when I'm asked to do a talk or speech I use able-bodied terminology towards my disability such as, "... I ran after an accessible career." Or, "I walked down a different path in life." Or, "I ran after my dreams, ambitions and goals in life."

Now this is scary!

Ti
    Last edited by titanium4motion; 06-09-2017 at 10:17 PM. Reason: gjnl note added
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    gjnl I hope you don't leave this forum. You are a valuable asset to this group with your years of experience you have to share with the fresh outs that seek help and information. We all come across sandpaper people. Don't let adversity stop you from posting here.
    Ti
    Thanks Ti.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-10-2017 at 10:42 AM.

I use the same speak as anyone else. I tell my boss Im going to run over to building X, or do a quick walk thru with operator X, etc....
    In no way do I get offended by folks saying these phrases. And happy to see the poll is pointing out that a lot of people on here feel the same way.

It's just common language usage, and if we spend our time being offended by somebody saying " let's walk over " somewhere, then we just have a big old "chip on our shoulder"...whatever that means.

It's a whole lot better than "watch out, you'll run over someone in that thing!" I woulda gone postal by now. I would have bought the most powerful gun i could afford and found a good hiding spot and let loose.

My skin is not that thin...

I've noticed people if all colours (including white), all genders (including T & I) abilities (including paras and quads), and every socio economic subgroup can always find a way and reason to engage in ignorant bigotry... so when I'm having it thrown in my direction it's water off a ducks back. I will from time to time put people in their place tho.
    Last edited by Mutley; 07-17-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...