View Poll Results: Do you get offended when people use phrases like "hit the ground running"?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

39 97.50%
  • Yes, if they catch and correct themselves

1 2.50%
  • No, as long as they catch and correct themselves

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get offended by...

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Then share, please share.
    Why should I? You would probably use it against me. Don't know what I ever did to you, but you need to deal with your hostility!!!

(KLD)

Removed by author as inappropriate to this topic.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Post removed by author as unnecessary once other posts removed.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.

In future, I will try very hard not to engage in any way with you. It just isn't worth my time.
    I can only hope that you keep that promise.

(KLD)

If you think I need to deal with my hostility, then I think you need to deal with your lack of empathy and understanding of what it means to live a life with a spinal cord injury and not just pack it up after your shift and go home and live a normal life.
    Wow! And by "Wow!" I mean WOW!! And by WOW!! I mean what a bunch of bunk!!

You're more than OK with me, KLD! I know that you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Wow! And by "Wow!" I mean WOW!! And by WOW!! I mean what a bunch of bunk!!

You're more than OK with me, KLD! I know that you get it.
    +1

I feel compelled to say how helpful, thoughtful and appropriate KLD's comments have consistently been over the years. While I've only been on this site for 9.5 years (so less than gjnl), I quickly found a respect for KLD's posts above and beyond even those of other SCI-Nurses (which is by no means disparaging to the other SCI-Nurses). But I'm quite sure KLD knows how valued she is around here.

Saying someone "doesn't get it" and "can't understand" is a rather immature defense mechanism. That's what a thirteen year old says to their parents when they're not allowed to go out with friends on a school night. No one can fully "get it" or understand what you are going through, but that doesn't make their opinion less valuable and not having your specific disability doesn't disqualify someone from having an opinion on the subject. Otherwise no one should ever judge or have an opinion on anything. Even if we're both 31 year old T9 complete ASIA A with moderate spasticity and similar levels of pain, YOU can't know what I'm going through.

Having worked with SCIers for years and years and years, I'm sure KLD has met and spoken with more people with SCI than I am likely to meet in my lifetime, thus making her one of the more qualified people to comment on this thread. Additionally, her post on this thread was the only productive and on topic one thus far.

But I'm rambling.

KLD, you know we love you.
    Last edited by funklab; 06-08-2017 at 06:29 AM.

But back to the subject, it appears that, assuming gjnl actually voted, even the most easily offended of us aren't offended by people using these phrases.

My therapist, whom I have a lot of respect for, essentially formally apologized for saying "hit the ground running" a couple weeks ago and seems to have been bothered enough by his use of the phrase to think about it repeatedly after the fact. Obviously in such a job you have to be careful with your words, but putting myself on the other side of things, I don't think I would be worried about things like this in a similar but reversed situation.

To borrow KLD's example, I very well may have said "see what I mean" or something similar to a blind person in the past, and if I have done so it's not a significant enough event that I remember it even happening.

I certainly say I'm "running to the store" or even ask someone if they want to "go for a walk" with me in normal speech without thinking twice, though family and friends will occasionally express smart-assed surprise at my newfound "ability".

Personally, I hate when people say "want to go for a roll", or something like that. Like KLD said, if they say "walk" then they're clearly not focusing on the chair, or the disability.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

I would say No, I am not offended (unless it is clearly malicious). For example, I feel like whenever I go into any office (dentist, doctor, veterinarian), the receptionist always makes the comment "Please go find a seat and we'll be with you as soon as we can." They say this a thousand times a month to people so I think it is just out of habit. Every now and then I'll just say "ok" and stare at them for an extra second and that's when they realize they said something stupid but I never press the issue because I can tell they understand they didn't think it through.

You can tell when someone genuinely is showing you a respectful compassion. I went to a college homecoming in 2015 and met up with dozens of college buddies. One of them, who went from military college to looking like Sons of Anarchy (seriously had a 12 inch blade in a sheath on his side, leather vest with motorcycle club patch and long hair). He was, and still is, the only person to come up to me and before even shaking my hand got down on one knee to look at me eye level before speaking to me.

Anyone that gets upset over "want to run up to the store?..." or any variant of that has serious scarring and is beyond removed from society. They should probably seek help with coping.
    Joe T.