View Poll Results: Do you get offended when people use phrases like "hit the ground running"?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

39 97.50%
  • Yes, if they catch and correct themselves

1 2.50%
  • No, as long as they catch and correct themselves

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get offended by...

Do you get offended by...

...people use phrases of speech like "hit the ground running" or "stand up for yourself" around/to you? Or when people ask if you want to "walk" around the mall or to the coffee shop or whatever.

Just curious as someone said something to me regarding this today, but I will withhold my personal opinion for the moment.
    Last edited by funklab; 06-07-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Poll is private no one can see your response

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    My husband asks if I want to run to the store with him, I normally sarcastically say I'd love to walk anywhere let alone run!!!

Personally, I think that such use of language shows that the person is not totally focused on your disability and is seeing you as a "regular" person.

I think it is similar to a blind friend of mine, who always says "see you soon" and whom I have teased when saying "Joe, can't you see the point I am trying to make?"!!! Of course I am AB, so it will be interesting to see what others here think.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Personally, I think that such use of language shows that the person is not totally focused on your disability and is seeing you as a "regular" person.

I think it is similar to a blind friend of mine, who always says "see you soon" and whom I have teased when saying "Joe, can't you see the point I am trying to make?"!!! Of course I am AB, so it will be interesting to see what others here think.

(KLD)
    "Regular person," how pejorative is that on your part!!!!

Not at all. I think it indicates that the person is not just seeing you as a person with a disability...but as a human being. If all they are thinking about is using what they think is PC language, and avoiding the use of the words like "walk", "run", "stand", (or "see" for someone who is blind), I think it is an indication that they can't get past seeing the disability more than the person.

(KLD)

Not at all. I think it indicates that the person is not just seeing you as a person with a disability...but as a human being. If all they are thinking about is using what they think is PC language, and avoiding the use of the words like "walk", "run", "stand", (or "see" for someone who is blind), I think it is an indication that they can't get past seeing the disability more than the person.

(KLD)
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that you have many years as a nurse caring for people with spinal cord injuries and you have many years dealing with your parents who have had disabilities of their own. All of that acknowledged, YOU don't have a disability and can not walk in the moccasins of those of us who tread this road every day.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that you have many years as a nurse caring for people with spinal cord injuries and you have many years dealing with your parents who have had disabilities of their own. All of that acknowledged, YOU don't have a disability and can not walk in the moccasins of those of us who tread this road every day.
    If you will actually read my post, you will see that I already said this (and I do have a disability which I have not shared with you).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    KLD and Wise have dedicated the better part of their lives to those of us with disabilities. Of course they don't know exactly what it is like, but they have directly experienced the pain and suffering 1000 times more than any of us. They get it.

If you will actually read my post, you will see that I already said this (and I do have a disability which I have not shared with you).

(KLD)
    Then share, please share.

Removed by author as inappropriate to this topic.
    Last edited by gjnl; 06-08-2017 at 11:30 AM.