Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am having surgery Friday on my butt

The therapists and doctors can order/tell them what to do. They receive information from surgeon and plastic surgeons know the drill. If they don't know then...??? Most flaps don't meet criteria for acute rehab( 3 hours of therapy per day) so long term care of SNF is usually indicated until tolerance is built up.
    Do you have a Case Manager that could assist with this?
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    heal quick smoke. I wouldn't rely on anyone but your wife/gf to watch the incision.
    True dat!!

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    I just went through this last year. I don't envy you one bit. I had my surgery done at a regional rehab hospital. I stayed in the Clinton bed for 5 weeks. I got lucky as they could not find a SNIF that would take me so I was able to stay in a really nice private room the whole time. The hardest thing for me was needing my hair washed while in the Clinton iron which was finally figured out by a clever PCT and eating. Because I was in a hospital the food was pretty good but because I couldn't sit up it upright it was hard to eat. Plus after a while I had grown really tired of eating everything over and over. This is where I am glad I wasn't in a SNIF because at least the food was healthy and I could eat as much as I wanted and it was good. I highly recommend getting someone to bring you a bottle of hot sauce and other condiments to add flavor when things are bland.

I was moved to the rehab floor and began "sitting therapy" the next day. We started at 15 minutes twice a day and increased the time by double every day. The protocol is to have 2 people check your skin before and after each session and log and initial each session. At least that's what they did at St Jude. You may be really dizzy and Nautilus at first. They had a decline chair for me to sit in and would increase the upright position as often as I was comfortable with until I could sit in my own chair comfortably. They would have me do easy exercises while in my chair when I was comfortable to. Other times PT was in bed. PT OT and RT came to my room every day. There was no PTof the lower extremities while I was in the Clinton bed in order to be cautious to not tear any stitches or damage the flap.

After you are sitting a certain amount of time they will let you sit on a commode chair for a few minutes. Using a transfer board will come as well if you are able.

Since my surgery I have to be super cautious of my skin. I check it every morning and night. I've had to try many different styles of underwear because my scar is right where the leg opening is and the seam of the underwear causes red welts. I no longer use my commode or my shower bench because using a transfer board naked was causing cuts which would send me back to bed until they healed. I now have a SP catheter and do BP in bed and take washcloth "baths" at my sink and do my lower body in bed. I don't have anyone to help me and a lift won't work in my tinybathroom and bedroom.

I never want to repeat the last 3 years of my life. MRSA surgeries shitty nursing homes malnutrition because of their food
    wound vac and then finally flap surgery. Now my life is changed in ways I could never imagine. I live in fear of getting another one every minute of the day. Oh and something I wasn't so good at before that I do now is a pressure relief every hour. Sometime I forget or I can't because I'm not in a setting where I can like the car or grocery store
    but for the most part every hour even if it interrupts my dinner or something else I'm in the middle of.

By this time you've already had the surgery. I hope it went well for you. Best of luck to you. Eat a lot of protein!!!!

PS sorry for the typos. I wrote this from my phone. Autocorrect is sometimes stupid
    Last edited by wheeliegirl; 06-10-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Autocorrect!!

Wheeliegirl: What an experience! Wondering what kind of wheelchair cushion you now use and used to use. Did you have pressure mapping after you healed? Hubby is SCI T10 and I'm Polio paralyzed and we each have different cushioning needs - he recently got a Ride Java as his Ride Custom is showing lots of wear even after work done on it. The Java has wedges to adjust support, I believe for the hips.

Wondering if you have knowledge of a cushion I've seen ads for, with alternating support, battery operated I believe, that would help with pressure relief all day.
    In my situation, with sensation intact, I can tell when I must do pressure relief and if I wait too long I get a blister that takes several days to subside. Also, I find that if I attempt to carry or have a tray with semi-heavy stuff on my lap - I will almost immediately feel discomfort on my bottom and must ditch the tray.

"I never want to repeat the last 3 years of my life. MRSA surgeries shitty nursing homes malnutrition because of their food
    wound vac and then finally flap surgery. Now my life is changed in ways I could never imagine. I live in fear of getting another one every minute of the day. Oh and something I wasn't so good at before that I do now is a pressure relief every hour. Sometime I forget or I can't because I'm not in a setting where I can like the car or grocery store
    but for the most part every hour even if it interrupts my dinner or something else I'm in the middle of. "

The shit we go thru really sucks.
    I know what you speak of WG

Wheeliegirl, I am preparing for flap now too. Your story has helped me better process what is to come as well as how I will manage after complete recovery. I too am terrified of shower bench transfers as well as toilet transfers when I reach that point of recovery. I am utterly terrified about the whole thing. And I dread going to SNF again. I was there for two months after wound vac placement and the aids were questionable with their skills. They weren't allowed to touch my wound vac but with a flap wound, I'm quite nervous about them moving me/bed care/etc. I've had to stop and correct them so many times I often wondered how elderly folks who are less verbal and aware manage the best care due to them.

i have had 2 flaps done first one i was in clinitron bed for about 3 weeks then was able to start sitting up very slowly. in the end i think i wasn't in bed long enough because i had complications and wound back up in surgery about a year later this time i was in clinitron bed for 6 weeks in hospital and then was allowed to gradually start sitting. now i sleep on a memory foam bed with turning often and so far have not had any issues.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Smashms, I'm T9 incomplete. For many months after my accident, I had to be turned every four hours by an aide. Even so, I got sores on my bottom and required the wound care nurse. Aides didn't really show up when they were supposed to. Also, they turned me 'back, left side, back, right sude, back',...which gave me too much time on my back. Over time (like a year later), I got so that I could turn myself from side to side in bed. Until I was able to "turn myself" in bed, I was constantly on the verge of sores and at the mercy of aides. At T4, are you able to turn yourself?
    Female, T9 incomplete

i'm T6 incomplete it's hard but i am able to manage it.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Can not state it any clearer. Prevention is the key to this game. And a little luck. Doing your turns, weight/pressure reliefs are key. So is eating nutritiously, drinking enough fluids and staying active. Some of this (or lack there of) can be blamed on poor caregivers. But this is where your support system needs to kick in. If you are not getting what you need, take your issues/compliants up the chain of command. Do it in a professional, mannered way and you might find that you get reults.
    ckf