Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am having surgery Friday on my butt

My surgeon just proposed the following sitting program and I'd like to know if you folks think it is reasonable. I had an advancement flap done on June 9 and this setting program will begin on July 14 which is five weeks after surgery.

"Day 1-3: sitting 5 minutes twice daily
    Day 4-6: sitting 10 minutes twice daily
    Day 7-10: 20 minutes twice daily
    Day 10-14: 40 minutes twice daily
    Day 14-21: 1 hour twice daily

After that, can go relatively unrestricted depending on how things look (I will have seen you in office during this period to re-evaluate."

It seems a little aggressive to me but I'd like other opinions.

Smokey, it does sound aggressive to me but I'm basing my opinion only on what I've read of others having flap and their recovery processes. I'm not in a position to offer true advice but if it were me, I'd question it. How did your surgery go? Any complications? And I'm curious what area your wound is in. I hope you do extremely well with recovery! Very best wishes to you.

Each program should be designed for an individual. Some of the timing is dependent on how your skin looks. If the redness does not resolve in a half to three quarters of an hour, you need to slow down. However, if it does, keep on going. Is your incision totally healed? Stitches totally out? How is it handling turns? You should have a seating eval done and your cushion evaluated. Can you do pressure reliefs?
    ckf

Hey Smoke,

That is not aggressive, pretty conservative actually. I am in my clinitron as we speak, in week 4 of healing from flap on right butt cheek. This thursday I start my sitting regimen and will have a 9 day cycle. Start out at 5 minutes and increase by 5 every session. Somewhere in the middle I will get into my chair, and then start the count over again. Haven't talked to the OT's for 4 weeks, so I forget the finer details.

This was the same regimen I had 2 years ago when I had a flap on the left side, and the incision has been perfect since.

And no flak please, long story short, this was a hospital caused one.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Got back home from the lovely rehab facility a couple of days ago. I was in the hospital and rehab facility exactly 8 weeks. Right now I get up sitting at 10 AM and go back to bed at 2:30 PM, lay there for a couple of hours on my side and get up again at 5:30 PM until 8 PM when I go to bed for the night. The flap seems to be holding up very nicely and everything looks good. Next week I will resume my schedule of sitting up at 10 AM until 8 PM doing frequent weight shift during the day, (hopefully). I have an appointment to see the plastic surgeon in three weeks.

As expected the rehab center was staffed with idiots, malcontents, mean, vindictive and uneducated foreigners who barely spoke English. Contact precautions and infectious control standards were hardly adhere to. I constantly had to remind them to wash their hands and wear gloves. Complaints to the management were made but seem to make no difference. I'm sorry my comments may offend some people but repeatedly my experiences in rehab centers have been negative. Physical therapy on my upper body was infrequent and ineffective. On the plus side the food was good, I put on six or 7 pounds and I left the facility with a pulse and without a toe tag.

My bed at home never felt so comfortable. I am still feel pretty weak but I can notice I gain small increments of strength daily. I've probably had over 100 sutures holding the flap in place. They were removed about a month ago but I still have about 4 subcutaneous sutures poking through the incision line and will probably have to be manually removed.

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and positive vibes. Hopefully this will be the last procedure I will ever have. I've had 16 operations since I was crunched in 1977. Enough is enough!

Glad to hear that you are home. I am sorry that you had to go through it all again. But, hopefully this will be the last time.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

ckf
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Glad to hear you're home Smoke! My second stent thru the assisted facility, I refused any upper body OT. Like you said, it was a waste of time. I had my own little regimen I did and came out okay. I figured since I was in the CLinitron I might as well let my shoulders heal up as well as they could too.

I'm going on 8 months out and pretty well back to normal; back in the gym, standing in the Easyglide, on the massage table and riding the handcycle using the Road Race Powerpod Mark makes. I get off the bum for a couple of hours in the afternoon and out of my chair and into a recliner for evening tv if necessary. Bout the only change I'm making is I got my insurance to buy a Stricker attachable handcycle so I won't have to transfer down into the bike as often.

Trustfully, this is the last time we both have to go thru the ordeal. I think the worst memory I have is being wheeled thru the two metal doors of the cold operating room and seeing the table,lights and all the instruments being readied for the operation.

I think what made a big difference in my healing was going with the Ride Java cushion and back. The OT suggested a Roho and I told her last time I was pressured mapped, it was the worst one mapped and without being mapped, her suggestions are just guesses that usually end up in a closet full of other guessed cushions and backs. The dme guy found a company that had a mapping system and the Ride came out best for me. It demonstrated to the rehab how useful a tool and relatively inexpensive the system was and bought two of them. Rohos are good for some and terrible for others, esp. women, as the rubber causes sweating and moisture buildup. Don't flame me Roho users lol.

Good luck buddy, glad to see you are on the mend. Get strong and back to life again. It feels so good to be "hole" free and healthy.

So glad to hear you are home smokey! I wish you nothing but well days ahead. Keep up with your regimen. I am scheduled for my first ever Flap in two weeks. I've had 36 years in the chair and this is my first skin breakdown. I spent 9 months on the wound vac but ended up with osteomyelitis and the wound stopped responding to the Vac therapy. I've managed to get a fantastic surgeon on my team so I'm hoping for the best. My wound is Ischial and he'll be removing some bone which has me nervous but I think the thing that has me most freaked out is being in skilled nursing again. I have to agree with you, from personal experience, I will be babysitting those aids again. Their general lack of common SCI knowledge was a little shocking to me and I fear for my flap wound. I'll be fitting for new cushion and chair so that's going to take getting used to. I've always detested breaking in new chairs. I'm also most concerned about toilet and shower transfers. Wheeliegirl had described her situation post-flap procedure and how she was fearful of these things as well and boy did she hit home for me. Hopefully I will have a smooth recovery. Very best to you over the next many months as you continue to mend!

Best to you my gimp brother
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer