Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am having surgery Friday on my butt

I am having surgery Friday on my butt

This Friday, June 9, 2017 I'm going to have an advancement flap procedure done on my right butt cheek. It will be the fourth time I've had this area surgically repaired. This is the first time however they will do a flap instead of a primary closure. How long can I expect to stay in the hospital and rehab center after that? I will be laying around in a Clinitron bed. There goes my summer! I wait all year for the warm weather and now I have to spend it inside a freaking hospital and rehab facility staffed with legions of dimwitted dolts. Also what is the typical protocol for sitting after such a procedure? I would appreciate any comments from those of you that know or have had procedures on your butt similar to this.

Thanks.

Sad Smokey
    Last edited by smokey; 06-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Am sorry you have to go threw this Smokey. I had one 30 years ago. I spent 5 weeks in the hospital. When I could sit for 2 hours they sent me home. Am sure it is different today though. All the good luck Smokey.
    Art

Hard to say with the fourth time this area is operated on, but I would suspect that the longer you're down the better.

I have found with my feet, that the more scar tissue there is, the quicker they will break down, without capilliaries to carry blood throughout that dense scar tissue. I have no idea what to do about this.

Have you ever tried electrical stimulation for the wound on the derriere? I'm sorry you have to go through this .. especially in the summer. That seems to be my illness template as well.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Hey Smokey, sorry t hear you're having surgery. I trust it's by a plastic surgeon.

In the last year, I've had a couple flap surgeries and a third stay in the hospital. because of an abcess around the wound site. I think the abcess was always there which caused it to breakdown in the first place. Spent 21 weeks total this past year in a Clinitron bed. Once you get used to the noise, it's not too bad.

I spent 10 day to two weeks in the hospital. then was transferred to an assisted living facility. I think I spent 4 weeks there the first time and 6 weeks the second time. I was still having a bit of a challenge having it heal all the way because of the location the infection, it got infected, scar. I changed over to a Ride Java cushion and the sucker healed up within a month after getting it. My wife has stopped putting a dressing on it a couple of days ago so I'm all healed up... so far.

Once I got used to the clinitron bed and staying prone 24/7 it wasn't too bad. I like the Clinitro bed as I didn't really have to worry about changing positions so often. The toughest part was coming home so weak after all that laying down. I took time off in the afternoons to get off my butt. A couple weeks out of the facility, I started going back to the gym and worked out with my trainer twice a week. Took my first, short, Handcycle ride the other day so that was a big step.

It is so worth getting the flap done and healed after three years of trying to heal. I think the Java would have worked without surgery if I had gotten it sooner. My first surgery was just a primary closure, the second was a full rotational flap surgery. I should have insisted on having a CT done of my butt before going to the assisted living. They might have found the abcess before it did more damage. It feels strange not having to do the protocol I had been doing the past three years. I'm finally getting back to normal life. It was a tough 21 weeks in bed but worth it. I don't know how I did it, just took one day at a time. good luck buddy.

Sorry you are going through this. Wishing you fast healing.

Kept off site until flap is healed-completely on special bed. Then SLOWLY start sitting program. We start 15 minute increments- and observe flap. If any redness then back to bed for more healing.
    CWO

CWO, I understand I have to stay off of it for a certain amount of time. The problem is once I get to a rehab center I have to rely on the staff to let me know if the wound is healing properly or if it's red after sitting up. Frankly I have found over the years that they are so stupid they don't know enough to come out of the rain and I certainly cannot trust them to make an assessment of my wound healing.

heal quick smoke. I wouldn't rely on anyone but your wife/gf to watch the incision.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    CWO, I understand I have to stay off of it for a certain amount of time. The problem is once I get to a rehab center I have to rely on the staff to let me know if the wound is healing properly or if it's red after sitting up. Frankly I have found over the years that they are so stupid they don't know enough to come out of the rain and I certainly cannot trust them to make an assessment of my wound healing.
    Just a couple of comments: It's important that you pull together a HST (Handicapped Support Team, as hubby and I jokingly call it). That is, contact some reliable relatives, friends, etc. and thoroughly explain to them the procedure and enlist their help in your care at rehab. center ("nursing home").

I feel I must call you out on your negative comment about care workers - they are overworked and underpaid and yes, you must explain your needs repeatedly. When I was in a facility for 5 months due to medical crash one of my "stupid" caregivers practically saved my life when a Respiratory Therapist did not stop in as requested before going off her overnight shift, to suction my tracheostomy. I gasped to my caregiver as soon as she came on morning duty - she immediately ran full tilt down the long hallway, checking patient rooms to find the morning shift RT to help me. I could hear her calling for aid. (P.S. I reported that overnight RT to Head Nurse and told her I didn't want the woman in my room again.)
    My caregiver was a quirky, fun, person who, even my family found on the silly side.
    That day I learned her dedication to her patient was where it was supposed to be.