Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel I have to get rid of an old dog.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Feel I have to get rid of an old dog.

Rocco is a great dog. A beautiful, golden haired Lhasa Apso who we adopted at 2 years old back in 2006 from a rescue squad.
    He had been picked up as a stray in NYC and we are his 3rd family since it seems like he had a hard time adjusting to small children.
    We hit it off and in a little while he was an integral part of our family.
    A few years ago he developed eye disease and eventually both eyes had to be removed because of pain. Being a trooper, he adapted to that. He had the company of a younger dog and was content to roam the backyard. But he's getting more and more confused. My wife now carries him out to the end of the deck so he can do his business.
    Last week, my wife fell from a ladder while doing some renovation work. She required surgery on her right leg and is now confined to bed most of the time for the next 4 to 6 weeks.
    I tried to get him out this morning and he nipped me.
    Long and short of it, we need to have Rocco put to sleep as we're not sure we can get someone to help with him and we feel that this has been coming for a long time anyway.
    Does anyone have experience with a similar situation?
    Is there a way to get help with transport to the vet?
    I'm in South Central New Jersey. We have a good vet who knows Rocco well, but we have to get him there and that presents a challenge.
    My wife took care of so many aspects of our lives to compensate for my limitations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2drwhofans View Post
    Here is a more direct link to a page addressing this issue specifically.

http://pets.cab/in-home-vet-service/

(KLD)

Thank you!

My heads been up my butt farther than usual this past week. Found a mobile vet. Didn't even occur to me until I read your responses.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    My heads been up my butt farther than usual this past week. Found a mobile vet. Didn't even occur to me until I read your responses.
    Thanks again.
    A neighor had a vet come to their house and in one of the most difficult situations that life throws as pet lovers, the experience was very positive. The vet brought a comfortable basket appropriate size for the dog. Then encouraged the dog to get into the basket. The family comforted the dog, petting and talking to him and offering him a couple of chocolate kisses. When the family signaled, the vet injected a sedative and then the euthanasia drug. After the vet determined that the dog's heart had stopped, the family tearfully gave their pet final hugs and kisses. The dog appeared peaceful and simply asleep. He was then covered with a blanket and the owners and the vet carried the basket to the vet's car, where they placed the basket in the trunk, and the vet drove away.

NL was invited over to the neighbor's home because she had taken care of the dog when the family went on vacations and was very close to the little guy. In our married life, we haven't had pets, but NL remembers as a teen how cold and sterile it was to take the family pets to the vet, a place the dogs hated to go anyway. It seemed like such a loving a peaceful process with the dog in his own home, surrounded by the people who loved him.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...
    Author Unknown

Ask your vet if they do "home visits" or can refer you to a vet who does. In my area there are a number who will come to your home to put your pet down in their home environment. So sad that this needs to happen, but it sounds like this is the time.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside... for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements... and I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth... though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land... for you are my god... and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest...and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

--Beth Norman Harris

(KLD)

sorry to hear that man. i had to have our 14 year old female boxer/pit put down on memorial day. it was tough.

The visiting vet came yesterday. My wife was able to hold him while they administered the shot. She had nothing but good things to say about them.
    The other little guy - Riley - is looking all over the place for Rocco. Thankfully he's still a very healthy 9 year old. Hope he keeps going strong.
    If it's it's permitted, I will post a link to that vet service - they operate in Monmouth and Ocean counties here in New Jersey.

Sorry garvey. It's ok to post the link.