Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recomendation for handcycles | Widest range of riders

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Agree with djrolling that different models be considered. I'm paralyzed and when I no longer could use my low slung handcycle, I got that handcycle with the seat at the level of wheelchair seat for easy transfer from wheelchair to bike. I think mine was the Quickie. Yes, non-disabled persons can use these bikes too for upper body workout, and folks with knee/hip issues but can walk ok. Some non-disabled folks use the leg-pedaled 3 wheel trikes.
    If you do manage to get a variety of cycles for rental it would be nice if you could state this in your ads. A rental shop in our town kept a handcycle outside the shop in full view.
    Agreed and if you do this and have success please let other shops know in other citys to help serve this under served market. You could also tell the companies that sell these bikes that people could come by and demo the bikes when they are looking to purchase. Also let any near by rehab centers know if you get some as people could rent one to see if that is something they might like to buy.

strickers take a lot of adjusting to each chair and body type, it would be tricky to rent.
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    One thing on the Strickers I was going to suggest was to ask you about the issue of having to adjust them to different peoples wheelchairs often if eventually might that cause a problem. I don't think it should but wondered what you thought. I still have a quickie 7 speed and I know what you are saying but really if they are going to be on paved surfaces I think they will be ok I have only flipped mine over twice both times going to fast in a curve.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

At Venice Beach I would want to rent an upright: http://venicebeach.com/the-venice-beach-boardwalk/
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    At Venice Beach I would want to rent an upright: http://venicebeach.com/the-venice-beach-boardwalk/
    I would agree there would be a lot of times especially if you wanted to be in an area where a lot of people were an upright is great. And if you wanted to go in somewhere there are a lot of places I have taken my upright in. The lower/recumbent bikes are very limited as to where you can go with them. The uprights are far more versatile

Another consideration on attachments is lack of weight on the front wheel which leads to traction problems. I have a quickie gpv that I added two axle selves to as far back as they would go and switch my wheels to the back position which is a move of two and a half inches from my normal position and find that takes care of it but a lot of people could not move wheels back.

You might want to contact the folks at BORP.org as they have had an active rental program for years.
    I have a Lasher ATH non suspension that I like a lot.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
    You might want to contact the folks at BORP.org as they have had an active rental program for years.
    I have a Lasher ATH non suspension that I like a lot.
    Mark
    Great suggestion. Try contacting Greg Milano at BORP. I wouldn't be surprised if he seconds John's recommendation of the Force 3. You should also put some thought into how you'll get people from their chairs into the bikes and back again. BORP has a very creative approach using three standard steel-legged office chairs (with leather-ish seat and back). One chair is at the standard height, one has its legs cut by 3-4 inches, and the other is about 3-4 lower than that. Three levels so people can transfer themselves from the bike back into the chair with (hopefully) minimal help from the attendant (other than switching chairs around). The other approach is to purchase a bath lift. The one in the link isn't industrial strength, but would probably work if you have an occasional rider that needs help. Good luck.

I just did a Quad Elite force 3 for him. they have a well rounded fleet.
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    Great suggestion. Try contacting Greg Milano at BORP. I wouldn't be surprised if he seconds John's recommendation of the Force 3. You should also put some thought into how you'll get people from their chairs into the bikes and back again. BORP has a very creative approach using three standard steel-legged office chairs (with leather-ish seat and back). One chair is at the standard height, one has its legs cut by 3-4 inches, and the other is about 3-4 lower than that. Three levels so people can transfer themselves from the bike back into the chair with (hopefully) minimal help from the attendant (other than switching chairs around). The other approach is to purchase a bath lift. The one in the link isn't industrial strength, but would probably work if you have an occasional rider that needs help. Good luck.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I don't recommend a high bike for rental purposes, they can roll easy in unfamiliar hands. may be a liability issue. DJ, I have over 500 miles on my stricker already, love this thing. something else surprising i found, with the assist my cadence stays much higher which in turn keeps my heartrate higher and I burn more calories as compared to my race handcycle. yes, a better workout with power assist.
    I don't see this as being a very significant issue. People who are AB could easily fall off a rented bicycle if they don't know what they're doing. I doubt anyone renting a high handcycle is any more likely to take a dive than an AB on a bicycle, and if they do so they are falling from a lower height than the AB.

That being said, I think you want both a high handcycle and a low one. Personally I'd never rent the high one because I could probably generate nearly as much speed on my wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I don't see this as being a very significant issue. People who are AB could easily fall off a rented bicycle if they don't know what they're doing. I doubt anyone renting a high handcycle is any more likely to take a dive than an AB on a bicycle, and if they do so they are falling from a lower height than the AB.

That being said, I think you want both a high handcycle and a low one. Personally I'd never rent the high one because I could probably generate nearly as much speed on my wheelchair.
    If you could generate the same amount of speed in your wheelchair for any distance you are a beast. Do not under estimate what gears can do. Even if you only have 7 or 8. Depending on your fitness you can get an upright to 15 miles an hour. Plus you could take the upright in a lot of places where as you cannot take the recumbents in hardly anywhere. I have experience on both....