Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Recomendation for handcycles | Widest range of riders

First thanks to everyone for all the info, now I have something to chew on.

I am familiar with Lasher sport somewhat, I ran into them at a trade show in Vegas. I’ll have to talk to him again they look like high quality bikes but the price is a little tricky for me on that line.

i would love to at least bring in 2, due to space I’m not sure I’m going to have much luck with more than that unless i figure out some tricky storage technique.

it sounds like it would make sense to bring in something like 1 upright and 1 recumbent. on the uprights, how tip prone are they? more than a classic tricycle? we have regular tricycles and they can tip trying to make unreasonably tight turns.

or maybe 1 recumbent and an attachment, are the handcycle attachments tricky to setup in general or is the striker worse than others? I could see long setup times being an issue.

Would also appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with the beach wheelchairs like the Lasher one, but not quite so pricy, could weigh in on brands for me to look at.

Thanks again!
    Rob

Thank you Rob for thinking of us. My guess is that you are close to the congested beach "boardwalk" that I tried to show in a post earlier, and/or these bikes would be used on the narrow paved beach trails.

What you need to know is what the turning radius is of any bike you get is to see if it will be usable. Try before you buy.

Classic trikes generally have a higher center of gravity, and a shorter wheelbase, so they should have a greater tendency for tipping than an upright handcycle, that's my take.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

As someone with cerebral palsy I need a upright is needed as I'm too spastic for anything else

see reply in red in quote
    Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    First thanks to everyone for all the info, now I have something to chew on.

I am familiar with Lasher sport somewhat, I ran into them at a trade show in Vegas. I’ll have to talk to him again they look like high quality bikes but the price is a little tricky for me on that line.

i would love to at least bring in 2, due to space I’m not sure I’m going to have much luck with more than that unless i figure out some tricky storage technique.

it sounds like it would make sense to bring in something like 1 upright and 1 recumbent. on the uprights, how tip prone are they? more than a classic tricycle? we have regular tricycles and they can tip trying to make unreasonably tight turns.

I have an upright as well as an attachment and a recumbent. Only tipped over twice at a high rate of speed and going around a curve. The uprights back wheels are cambered out like a wheelchair and that makes it less prone to tip than say a standard tricycle

or maybe 1 recumbent and an attachment, are the handcycle attachments tricky to setup in general or is the striker worse than others? I could see long setup times being an issue.

I will defer to John on this because I have only set up my attachment to my chair and it took a few tries so on second thought it might not be a great idea

Would also appreciate it if anyone who is familiar with the beach wheelchairs like the Lasher one, but not quite so pricy, could weigh in on brands for me to look at.

Thanks again!
    Rob

Hello again everyone,
    Finally got access to an upright handcycle from one of our new vendors and the price is actually resonable for us so im hopping that someone here has had experiance with it. i am looking at the Sun HT-3.
    unfortunalty they only carry an upright but its a start.

-Rob

Check out a Freedom Ryder FHR-1 too, nice bike. Compare that to the force 3. Force 3 is less $$$ but in my opinion the Freedom Ryder is better built and I feel more comfortable.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

If this is only going to be used on a flat surface it "might" be okay. I really do not know why anyone would make an handcycle with three speeds I am not sure. To me the least it should have is 8. If you could pick up a used one like this one would be great but a lot of times people do not want to ship but if I were you I would monitor ebay daily. If you service bikes you can do anything a handcycle needs and the one I linked to is old but I bet it would still serve you well if they were willing to ship. A lot of times these used ones are just old and not much used. Check and see if they have an 8 speed model...

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Hello again everyone,
    Finally got access to an upright handcycle from one of our new vendors and the price is actually resonable for us so im hopping that someone here has had experiance with it. i am looking at the Sun HT-3.
    unfortunalty they only carry an upright but its a start.

-Rob