Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recomendation for handcycles | Widest range of riders

Question Need Recomendation for handcycles | Widest range of riders

Let me start by saying hello since this is also my first post.

i'm hoping you all can help me since i have no real handcycle experiance.

I'm not injured, my quest here is to try and find the best all around handcycle, i am an owner at a rental shop and noticed that this area really doesnt seem to have much if anything in the way of adaptive equipment avalible so im trying to figure out which handcycles work best for the widest range of people.

aditional info: we have a paved bike path that sometimes gets some sand on it, we are in venice beach incase anyone is familiar with the area.

if you guys could also weigh in on how much maintainence they need and if you think they would hold up well near the beach (on this note: the area is very salty so stainless steal and non rust prone metals are the best)

thank you all for your time and have a great day.

Rob

Welcome Rob,

Thanks for looking into adaptive equipment for you community. We have some handcycle experts here that will weigh in.
    Are you talking about a dusting of sand or does it build up?

They try to keep it clean but it can build up some from time to time.
    i think it would usually fall under dusting.

They hold up like a not mass produced bike. Regular drivetrain clean and lube just like you likely do for two wheelers. Race bikes are flatter. Only a subset of disabled can ride prone position so recumbent has a wider target audience. There are a couple makes that have independent suspension which alleviates the side pull of off-cambor surfaces caused by them being tricycles. They go from very flat and aero to upright cruiser positions.

I'd suggest browsing one of the sites that resell a few brands just to get a feel for what's out there
    Last edited by Mize; 06-04-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Oh. Forgot to mention that, unlike bicycles, there are some that aren't fully metric. A bit maddening in this day and age.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

bang for the buck woud be the force 3. inexpensive and will work for many abilities.
    as mize mentioned components are cycle components, clean and lube and they will last like a regular bike.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Depending on the terrain I would say for most purposes given that you will be renting these out to I am guessing the recreational rider that you should probably go with an upright such as the Invacare or Quickie The Quickie is no linger made but you can pick them up second hand on ebay which I linked to for this post. There is also attachments you might want to consider but a good one is pricey I like the Stricker There are about three places that sell them here in the states Bike-on being one of them. I purchased mine second had here I do not have time right now to go into any detail but will come back later and give more info. I will say that there is a group of people that would want one of the lower bikes but I am guessing you also want to make money and the uprights are easier to get in and out of and for what I think your purpose is would probably serve a larger group of people. Not sure how many you are looking to purchase you might could go with a lower model and an upright? One more thing before I go don't just promote these to disabled people they can provide a great upper body work out and the one John talks about would be good for that purpose as well, I think you could get more of a cardio workout on one like that.
    Last edited by djrolling; 06-04-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Agree with djrolling that different models be considered. I'm paralyzed and when I no longer could use my low slung handcycle, I got that handcycle with the seat at the level of wheelchair seat for easy transfer from wheelchair to bike. I think mine was the Quickie. Yes, non-disabled persons can use these bikes too for upper body workout, and folks with knee/hip issues but can walk ok. Some non-disabled folks use the leg-pedaled 3 wheel trikes.
    If you do manage to get a variety of cycles for rental it would be nice if you could state this in your ads. A rental shop in our town kept a handcycle outside the shop in full view.

I don't recommend a high bike for rental purposes, they can roll easy in unfamiliar hands. may be a liability issue. DJ, I have over 500 miles on my stricker already, love this thing. something else surprising i found, with the assist my cadence stays much higher which in turn keeps my heartrate higher and I burn more calories as compared to my race handcycle. yes, a better workout with power assist.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Depending on the terrain I would say for most purposes given that you will be renting these out to I am guessing the recreational rider that you should probably go with an upright such as the Invacare or Quickie The Quickie is no linger made but you can pick them up second hand on ebay which I linked to for this post. There is also attachments you might want to consider but a good one is pricey I like the Stricker There are about three places that sell them here in the states Bike-on being one of them. I purchased mine second had here I do not have time right now to go into any detail but will come back later and give more info. I will say that there is a group of people that would want one of the lower bikes but I am guessing you also want to make money and the uprights are easier to get in and out of and for what I think your purpose is would probably serve a larger group of people. Not sure how many you are looking to purchase you might could go with a lower model and an upright? One more thing before I go don't just promote these to disabled people they can provide a great upper body work out and the one John talks about would be good for that purpose as well, I think you could get more of a cardio workout on one like that.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    I don't recommend a high bike for rental purposes, they can roll easy in unfamiliar hands. may be a liability issue. DJ, I have over 500 miles on my stricker already, love this thing. something else surprising i found, with the assist my cadence stays much higher which in turn keeps my heartrate higher and I burn more calories as compared to my race handcycle. yes, a better workout with power assist.
    One thing on the Strickers I was going to suggest was to ask you about the issue of having to adjust them to different peoples wheelchairs often if eventually might that cause a problem. I don't think it should but wondered what you thought. I still have a quickie 7 speed and I know what you are saying but really if they are going to be on paved surfaces I think they will be ok I have only flipped mine over twice both times going to fast in a curve.