Thread: Oil Tank Removal - Suspense with Happy Ending

Oil Tank Removal - Suspense with Happy Ending

I live in an old town in New Jersey. I know it's old because we have a church here that was used to treat wounded soldiers from the battle of Monmouth in 1778 when Washington caught up with the British as they were marching back to NYC.
    And I live in an old house. I know this, since I found a post card with post mark of October 1926 under one of the stairs when I was replacing treads and railing back in 1987.
    When it comes to heating system, the house used coal and then oil and finally gas.
    When I had the driveway redone about 20 years ago, we found a little pipe sticking out of the ground, so we knew that there was a tank down there and if we wanted to sell the house someday it would have to come up.
    This past December one of my neighbors threw a little party and I caught up with folks I hadn't seen in a while.
    One old guy told me that he was moving out of his house temporarily because they found a leak in his old oil tank and were having to dig up a lot of contaminated soil and it was going to cost a few hundred thousand but he had insurance to cover this. We don't.
    So I've been living in dread for about 6 months.
    My immediate next store neighbor remembered that Dick, the guy who lived here before us (we never met as he had passed away and we bought from his estate) had the oil pumped out and refilled the tank with water.
    So yesterday, the moment of truth arrived.
    The tank had no leaks AND was still filled with what I guess is 40 year old water!
    I can't remember being this happy about anything!! (maybe my memory is just going )

End of story

wow, you lucked out!

Sounds like a great result considering all the horrible situations that could have existed but doesn't the tank still have to come out?

Tank must have been removed to determine no leakage. My question is what did you do with the water? I'm sure they couldn't have pumped out every last drop of oil, so filling the tank with water would have rendered the mixture as hazardous waste.

I grew up in suburban NJ. Remember playing in basement near coal bin. Then we transitioned to oil heat with big tank in basement. Once the municipality determined that it was not such a good idea to have a couple of hundred gallons of fuel oil in the basement our tank was also buried outside. We moved shortly after the interment and the new owner inherited the potential environmental calamity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Sounds like a great result considering all the horrible situations that could have existed but doesn't the tank still have to come out?
    The tank is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Tank must have been removed to determine no leakage. My question is what did you do with the water? I'm sure they couldn't have pumped out every last drop of oil, so filling the tank with water would have rendered the mixture as hazardous waste.
    I don't know what was done with the tank or water. Everything was gone by the time I got home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Once the municipality determined that it was not such a good idea to have a couple of hundred gallons of fuel oil in the basement our tank was also buried outside. We moved shortly after the interment and the new owner inherited the potential environmental calamity.
    Heh, I remember that tank in the crawlspace under my parent's 1950's house. I guess the area got converted to NG shortly thereafter. I wonder if there was anything in it?

Those 50's houses were equipped to achieve low earth orbit