Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost perfect storm

Almost perfect storm

I know my life is no where near as challenging as many of other members of this forum, but I'm getting a taste of "interesting times".
    I'm just mobile enough to drag my butt to work each day. My wife does everything else (except cooking - that's my domain) and while working on fixing up our very old house with an eye to getting to a 55+ community where her chores list will be shortened (no more lawn care or snow shoveling or stair climbing) she injured her leg requiring surgery. She'll be immobilized for many weeks.

So now - I'm the most able bodied person in the house - HA!

Looking at some basic logistical issues - like food shopping (I can do some, but I've had falls in the super market in the past - so my wife will try to veto that)
    - should be able to arrange delivery from Stop and Shop.
    Laundry - involves climbing stairs to basement - again - my wife will not want me doing that.

Just venting I guess - we were living a delicately balanced existence that has suddenly fallen off the rails.

Can you afford to hire a homemaker part-time? These folks don't do personal care, but can do things like grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, and laundry.

I assume neither of you has a relative (sibling, niece/nephew, etc.) who could come stay with you for the duration and take on the homemaking chores?

Grocery delivery, either from Stop & Shop if they offer this, or something like AmazonFresh, might be a good idea, unless you have a good neighbor who would do your shopping along with theirs. I did this when I had surgery several years ago and could not drive; I e-mailed her my grocery list, and she picked stuff up the next time she went shopping, dropped it off at my place, and I paid her back. I also did a lot of food delivery (pizza, Chinese, etc.) and would order enough to have leftovers to freeze and/or eat for additional meals (saving on delivery charges).

(KLD)

I use Stop & Shop Peapod, very reliable.

Good luck!

Thanks -
    Family - my daughter is is the process of moving out. My wife's only sibling is 3 hours away - they have helped greatly so far - but have to commute.
    Part - time home maker sounds great - have to pursue that - and I have to convince my wife to go along with it.
    My neighbors have been great as well as my future in-laws - just hate to impose on people.
    Ironically, I have a big family - all out west and down south! (And many of them certifiably crazy!)
    Thanks for suggestions.
    Have to accept challenges and grow with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I use Stop & Shop Peapod, very reliable.

Good luck!
    Thanks - I'm going to try them - there's one just a few miles away!

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    I know my life is no where near as challenging as many of other members of this forum, but I'm getting a taste of "interesting times".
    I'm just mobile enough to drag my butt to work each day. My wife does everything else (except cooking - that's my domain) and while working on fixing up our very old house with an eye to getting to a 55+ community where her chores list will be shortened (no more lawn care or snow shoveling or stair climbing) she injured her leg requiring surgery. She'll be immobilized for many weeks.

So now - I'm the most able bodied person in the house - HA!

Looking at some basic logistical issues - like food shopping (I can do some, but I've had falls in the super market in the past - so my wife will try to veto that)
    - should be able to arrange delivery from Stop and Shop.
    Laundry - involves climbing stairs to basement - again - my wife will not want me doing that.

Just venting I guess - we were living a delicately balanced existence that has suddenly fallen off the rails.

walmart on line alsp perasable you can shp on line pu at store they put in car pay neighbor to unload also walmart like coffee greamer non perable they del free after 50.00

In our neighborhood many people use a social networking site called Nextdoor, which provides the ability to engage with verified neighbors online. In our area the site is often used for people to request help (e.g. people looking for recommendations of contractors), or for people that can help (e.g. high school students that will tutor your kids, and there have been some postings from students that will come into your home and cook several meals that you can store in your freezer). I'd expect there are similar types of offerings from other companies depending on the community. This might be a good option for you to find some extra help.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    In our neighborhood many people use a social networking site called Nextdoor, which provides the ability to engage with verified neighbors online. In our area the site is often used for people to request help (e.g. people looking for recommendations of contractors), or for people that can help (e.g. high school students that will tutor your kids, and there have been some postings from students that will come into your home and cook several meals that you can store in your freezer). I'd expect there are similar types of offerings from other companies depending on the community. This might be a good option for you to find some extra help.
    That sounds great. I personally need to engage more with my neighbors - situations like this drive that homw.

Hear your perfect storm and can understand. We are a couple, elderly, active, both paralyzed. Over many years we have tried to keep up with the changes and new difficulties imposed by our disabilities, along with aging process.
    Thankfully, the older home hubby found is ground floor and living here almost 40 years, we have tried to keep an eye on accommodations - just about 10 years ago we got front loading washer and drier which helped immensely. We got hospital beds 7 years ago to aid in transfers when I had a medical crash; an open shower space with sturdy shower chair about 8 years ago. The help we have now is bi-weekly cleaning service, and lawn care service.

In your situation it seems the issue was kind of sudden, while we have had many years to adjust to changes. I'm hoping some of the suggestions will help you make things work - and they will work again. Very best to you and your wife.

Thanks. Finding that we are blessed with great neighbors.