Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reducing nerve pain without cognitive impairment

Whoa. You can get that from SCI stem cell therapy according to Wikipedia. Bummer.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quick update on my progress. I upped my Lyrica to 300 mg, 2x/day. The first two days there was no change in pain levels and I definitely felt loopier. Days 3-6 were great. Substantially lower nerve pain levels and the fogginess cleared up. Unfortunately, today is day 7 and my nerve pain levels are back to "normal" levels. I'm hoping it's just short term and a result of my imbibing a bit more than I should have yesterday evening. If I don't get back to days 3-6 pain levels within another 2-3 days then I'm afraid the higher dose just creates a new baseline for the brain to adjust to and, once again, start hurting. Stupid brain.

Thats sucks Mize. I've kinda came to a point were I'm feeling pretty raw most of the time with meds. I thought it was bad enough that I'd ween off it. No luck. I'm taking Lyrica 50mg, 6x/day. I also take the same of Tramadol.
    I thought of upping my Lyrica but even one more seems to bring the fog. I've would like to take it twice a day. Would 150mg 2x/day pretty much have the same effect?
    I can feel the meds wearing off at about 3 1/2 hrs., so it's kind like an alarm clock.

Quote Originally Posted by lonecoaster View Post
    Thats sucks Mize. I've kinda came to a point were I'm feeling pretty raw most of the time with meds. I thought it was bad enough that I'd ween off it. No luck. I'm taking Lyrica 50mg, 6x/day. I also take the same of Tramadol.
    I thought of upping my Lyrica.
    I'd love to wean off both lyrica and baclofen.
    Lowered my baclofen once and the morning hip flexor spasms were insane.

Update: the increased Lyrica has definitely reduced my overall nerve pain level. I've been journaling my morning nerve pain levels (along with prior day's activities) and excursions above a 4 have been infrequent with nothing over 5. That's a worthwhile improvement.

I've been reading through this and kind of drew some parallels with what I've been seeing with myself. Now with me, all the neuro pain levels and weird translocation of pain (mostly feeling like getting stabbed in the upper back in severe instances) is wholly related to how much I need to take a dump. Same goes for spasticity. Take a dump, all is well, (or at a level that isn't debilitating over time). No need for any drugs.

One thing that kind of irks me is how the medical profession insists on SCI people to ram some nasty chemicals up your butt to trigger taking a dump. The yearly doctor visits to renew cath Rx's always ends up with me explaining how just triggering a reflex to take a dump is sufficient for me to do #2 (the usual method...I hate this subject to explain more). No getting corked up doing this, not unplanned evacuations either. Heck, you don't even need a time table, just go whenever things get sketchy. The 'experts' seem rather perplexed. Heck, eating crap actually is good when you get the 'power dump' effect, lol. What I am getting at is my early experiences of doing the "medically recommended" methods of #2. My colon would be generating mucus hours after getting the treatment, maybe even longer if my leaking bunghole didn't continue to notify me of the effect.

I cant help but wonder if the neuro pain issues experienced here are related in similar fashion to my issues. Where constant colon irritation caused by whatever chemical treatment is creating the neuro issues? Any tries to experiment in this area done?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I've been reading through this and kind of drew some parallels with what I've been seeing with myself. Now with me, all the neuro pain levels and weird translocation of pain (mostly feeling like getting stabbed in the upper back in severe instances) is wholly related to how much I need to take a dump. Same goes for spasticity. Take a dump, all is well, (or at a level that isn't debilitating over time). No need for any drugs.

One thing that kind of irks me is how the medical profession insists on SCI people to ram some nasty chemicals up your butt to trigger taking a dump. The yearly doctor visits to renew cath Rx's always ends up with me explaining how just triggering a reflex to take a dump is sufficient for me to do #2 (the usual method...I hate this subject to explain more). No getting corked up doing this, not unplanned evacuations either. Heck, you don't even need a time table, just go whenever things get sketchy. The 'experts' seem rather perplexed. Heck, eating crap actually is good when you get the 'power dump' effect, lol. What I am getting at is my early experiences of doing the "medically recommended" methods of #2. My colon would be generating mucus hours after getting the treatment, maybe even longer if my leaking bunghole didn't continue to notify me of the effect.

I cant help but wonder if the neuro pain issues experienced here are related in similar fashion to my issues. Where constant colon irritation caused by whatever chemical treatment is creating the neuro issues? Any tries to experiment in this area done?

Totally agree. If I'm gassy, or ready to drop a deuce, my "neuro" leg pains go through the roof. Excruciating thigh spasticity and spasms too. Everything peaks while I'm taking a dump, I don't think my body likes me rooting around in an "exit only" hole, but then the pain scales back to its 'normal' levels (which is bad enough I still let it impair me more than I'd like).

Been on 'all' the go-to meds they push on us, as well, but nothing really helps.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Update: the increased Lyrica has definitely reduced my overall nerve pain level. I've been journaling my morning nerve pain levels (along with prior day's activities) and excursions above a 4 have been infrequent with nothing over 5. That's a worthwhile improvement.

Glad it works! How are the cognitive effects? That stuff (and gabapentin) left me whacked out at doses close to max allowable.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus