Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick release axle pins... ever take one apart? how'd they come apart?

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Once you remove the aluminum push button cap, the inner pin and spring just slide out the bottom. ...
    I think Will has the little push button variety. I have played along with this puzzle and had absolutely no luck. The only hope I see with out doing some destruction is along the lines of what you did. I think that the little push button might unscrew. I however using two sets of small vice grips was unable to get it to budge.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    thank for all the great thoughts guys.

1: I've tapped away on it to no avail at this point.
    2: I've tried to squeeze one of the retention balls out, but even when the thinnest part of the rod and the other retention ball is completely in place, there is not enough room for the retention ball to fall out.
    I hear you on they could be compressed into place. Haven't yet got to the angle grinder to prove this is the case.
    3: nonoise.. how many varieties are there? that many

Great pictures giles88.
    I can't quite tell it looks like the end away form the push button on the rod is a different color/metal does that unscrew or is the rod one solid piece? just the push button unscrews?

On my QR axle I can't see the spring anywhere.
    I'm going to try and get better pictures.

Getting a useful picture is proving to be just as annoying. Maybe someone can see something in one of these !
    In the first one you can see the thread that the button screws to.
    at this point it seems to be a solid rod, not sure if it's an illusion of the pictures but the base of where the thread meets the rod it looks like a gap, but I can't make any gap out in real life.

Is the center pin in the pics threaded (looks like it). If so, could the "collar" that is the larger portion under the threads be screwed onto the smaller shaft? Not sure how you'd get to it though. Can the shaft be pushed in some from the other end to get a better look at the end you have in the pics above?

If the collar isn't threaded and screwed onto the pin, you could use a punch to depress the pin fully, then whack the punch with a hammer to unseat it from the collar.

If I have time tomorrow, I will section an old axle with the grinder and thin section cutting disc.

That is as far as it pushes in from the other end.
    In the photos it looks like the collar is separate from the center shaft, but as far as I can tell it's all one piece. There doesn't seem to be a good way to get hold of it either.
    Have to push it in to grab it from the ball end to stop it turning, but then the whole thing turns.
    I've tried whacking it a few times from the button end, but it's pretty solid. In fact I've whacked it from both ends just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhigs View Post
    Is the center pin in the pics threaded (looks like it). If so, could the "collar" that is the larger portion under the threads be screwed onto the smaller shaft? Not sure how you'd get to it though. Can the shaft be pushed in some from the other end to get a better look at the end you have in the pics above?

If the collar isn't threaded and screwed onto the pin, you could use a punch to depress the pin fully, then whack the punch with a hammer to unseat it from the collar.

Well cool I'll wait and see if you can throw up some other clues to getting it apart with out cutting it in half.
    I'm not sure which manufacturer this one is, but I have a tilite and a quickie QR axle and they all seem different.

So if you do cut one in half, let us know which manufacturer it is, if you know.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    If I have time tomorrow, I will section an old axle with the grinder and thin section cutting disc.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Well cool I'll wait and see if you can throw up some other clues to getting it apart with out cutting it in half. I'm not sure which manufacturer this one is, but I have a tilite and a quickie QR axle and they all seem different.
    So if you do cut one in half, let us know which manufacturer it is, if you know.
    cheers.
    I couldn't chop a TiLite axle for you but I did have a naffed Karma axle. I don't think the images add too much to the debate though.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

wild!
    So how would you say you would take it apart without cutting it in half?
    It looks like the button would unscrew from the rod, but there is a collar that is still in place holding the spring in place?
    And it looks as though the only way the rod could leave the tube is from the button end.

So guessing somehow you would have to compress the spring and remove the ball bearings and then the rod would leave the tube? but then what is the point of being able to unscrew the button?
    I would have thought the button would hold the spring in place, so if you took the button off, you could remove the spring, thus allowing the rod to go all the way in, and remove the bearings and then remove the rod.

Can you unscrew the button from the rod? be interesting if it reveals he same detail I am looking at.

Hi Will, it is late afternoon, nearly Winter Solstice and dark now. I will cut through the outer plunger for you tomorrow and see if anything is revealed.

Hey Will, sorry for the delay in replying. The inner rod is one piece and the straw/plum colored section is just heat treat color on the rod where it engages the detent balls. Yes, just the push button unscrews, at least on these axles. The aluminum cap has fine threads and they put a dab of thread locker on it. I can't see whats holding yours in, from the pics you posted it should be sliding out, but something is holding it in....even after you got radical on it with the punch.

I think your only solution now is a bigger hammer.