Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick release axle pins... ever take one apart? how'd they come apart?

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Quick release axle pins... ever take one apart? how'd they come apart?

Curiosity got the better of me!
    Maybe you wanted to clean and oil your axles really good!
    Maybe you're just bored and want to know!

So how do they come apart, they are like a chinese puzzle.

I've figured if you push the quick release in a little so you can grab the end that would be inside the axle tube firmly... then the button part unscrews.... allowing you to push the center push pin in even further till the spring is completely compressed.

I was figuring there would be enough room for the ball bearing to fall free and then maybe the center push pin would come free. but no.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Have yet to disassemble one, but this might help... http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...semble-QR-axle
    Thanks.. great link.. and great picture... kudos ..
    I hope I don't end up sawing mine in half just to find out !!
    Alas my Quick release doesn't have that Circlip... and once I unscrew the end it all still stays firmly together !!

bump! still can't get this damn thing apart.. any one else know or try ?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Have you tried tapping on it with a punch and hammer? I'm curious to see how this turns out, take some pics if you have time. Especially if you end up taking a hammer to it, or some other radical treatment.

Which end would you tap on with a punch ?
    I haven't got radical yet, hoping to find some inspiration.

Here are some pictures.. not great .. hard to focus in side the tube !

Quote Originally Posted by giles88 View Post
    Have you tried tapping on it with a punch and hammer? I'm curious to see how this turns out, take some pics if you have time. Especially if you end up taking a hammer to it, or some other radical treatment.

Hmm, looks like you have a situation there.... I would say tap on it, whichever direction the inner pin is supposed to come out? I have a QR axle same design with no C clip retainer, i'll try to disassemble it and report back here. It's a TI axle, hope I don't mess it up...

Most likely the retention balls have to come out to allow the inner pin to be removed.

The retention balls are probably installed with the pin in the axle shaft under tension so the gap in the pin for the balls will allow the balls to sit further in their bores than then sit when the axle is in the installed position (basically, the balls would be in the "release" position during this process). Then the shaft is deformed around the balls on the outer edge making the outer edge of the hole they sit in slightly smaller than the full diameter of the ball so they won't come out. This would be done with a special jig in a press.

So, taking it apart would likely ruin the axle, as you would have to grind the edge of the axle around the balls so the balls could come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhigs View Post
    Most likely the retention balls have to come out to allow the inner pin to be removed.

The retention balls are probably installed with the pin in the axle shaft under tension so the gap in the pin for the balls will allow the balls to sit further in their bores than then sit when the axle is in the installed position (basically, the balls would be in the "release" position during this process). Then the shaft is deformed around the balls on the outer edge making the outer edge of the hole they sit in slightly smaller than the full diameter of the ball so they won't come out. This would be done with a special jig in a press.

So, taking it apart would likely ruin the axle, as you would have to grind the edge of the axle around the balls so the balls could come out.
    That was my suggestion after examining a bunch I have some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Once you remove the aluminum push button cap, the inner pin and spring just slide out the bottom. The detent balls are staked in, so they don't have to be removed. Being really careful with the pliers and taping up the aluminum push button cap to prevent gouging it up.

Not sure what's holding yours in, axle slightly bent and causing a bind on the inside pin? Possibly you stripped a chunk of the push button cap off and part of it's still on the thread, preventing the pin and spring from sliding out? Can't really see the pics clearly inside your axle.
    Attached Images Attached Images