Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What tires should I buy?

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    putting the larger width tires on narrower width rims is easy.. no persuading is necessary. Just must have the same bead diameter. 559 etc..
    Going in the other direction is a little more hit and miss, trying to get narrower tires to fit a wider rim, still mostly works.

I'm currently using:
    25"*1" rims (559) with a tire - 60-559 (26*2.35) 30-55psi Big Apple Schwalbe: which give an actual measured outside diameter @55psi of 26 7/8".

on another rim 26" 590 using
    26"*1" rims (590) with a tire - 42-590 HS 349 Schwalbe :which give an actual measured outside diameter at max psi of 26 1/2".

and then I'm also running some 27" wheels (700cx28c 28-622) 700c - using standard non-marking tire.
    27"*1" rims (622) with a tire - 28-622 Cheng Shin : which gives and actual measureed outside diameter at 100psi of 26 7/8"

This allows me to swap my 25" and 27" wheels without having to make any adjustments... brakes center of gravity etc.. so I can have non marking tires in the house and fatties for outside etc.

the two wheels with tires (25"(559) next to a 27"(622)) on the same axle ..

you would be surprised.. if you're running 26" wheels you'll barely notice the difference running 27" wheels, i hear you with the rear overhang, but honestly I have had no more issue with the 27" rims... seriously thinking of getting my next chair built from the ground up with 27" wheels thereby allowing me to the same swap with 25" wheels.

I don't have any standard 1" 26"(590) non marking tires kicking around to get an actual measurement, but I am guessing the outside diameter would be right around 25 7/8" so you're really looking at adding an inch to the overall diameter of your wheel/tires if you tried running 27" wheels.
    Wow, this is awesome, but hurts my brain a little.

That's a standard wheelchair sized 559 rim on the left? And those big fat tires fit it? That is pretty damn awesome.

I feel like the relatively tight fit of my wheels to the sideguards of my current chair (which I hope to replicate on the new one) would prevent me from running such a wide tire. But that is good stuff to know for the future if I have the luxury of building a second chair that doesn't have to be as narrow as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post

That's a standard wheelchair sized 559 rim on the left? And those big fat tires fit it? That is pretty damn awesome.

I feel like the relatively tight fit of my wheels to the sideguards of my current chair (which I hope to replicate on the new one) would prevent me from running such a wide tire. But that is good stuff to know for the future if I have the luxury of building a second chair that doesn't have to be as narrow as possible.
    To avoid that you can get a longer set of axles with spacers to keep on your spare wheels with wide tires so they will clear your side guards. Thats what I did. I can put my spare set on with 2.5" knobbies with the same gap between my side guards as my 1" everyday tires. I also have a spare set of hub rings for my D's locks on the extra wheels so my brakes work with them as well.

I saw that one on their website. It seems pretty new. Do you have any experience with it yet?
    I've got them on my chair at the moment. I like them because they are noticeably lighter than Marathons and I find it easier to getting the chair moving from a standing start which is important to me as my arms aren't too good. They're also much easier to put on the rims than Marathons.
    eqpt - rigid chair, 2 scooters, crutches/sticks/frames, assistance cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Night_Owl View Post
    I've got them on my chair at the moment. I like them because they are noticeably lighter than Marathons and I find it easier to getting the chair moving from a standing start which is important to me as my arms aren't too good. They're also much easier to put on the rims than Marathons.
    You sold me, I think that will be my next pair. Thanks for the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad09 View Post
    To avoid that you can get a longer set of axles with spacers to keep on your spare wheels with wide tires so they will clear your side guards. Thats what I did. I can put my spare set on with 2.5" knobbies with the same gap between my side guards as my 1" everyday tires. I also have a spare set of hub rings for my D's locks on the extra wheels so my brakes work with them as well.
    I've never had a spare set of axles. I can't imagine it's very easy to pop them on and off in that case.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    yes 559 on the left, 622 on the right.
    Yes fitting any 559 tire on the 1" 559 rim is easy.

Due to Ti-lite being incredible liberal with their setup when they sent me the chair, and me being super aggressive with my spacing, the fatty tires have added no width at all to my chair setup, the camber does help.
    Plus if you look at the picture you can see the fatty tire pushes over the hand rim as compared to the 622 wheel. Both hand rims are setup with the same spacing. So the added width is the small amount on the inside.
    My fatty tires used one of the axle spacers that came with the tilite chair. My limiting factor is where the tires come in contact with the rear canes.

I've never had a spare set of axles. I can't imagine it's very easy to pop them on and off in that case.
    You don't take the spare axles on and off. I was under the impression you were wanting or have an extra set of wheels that you wanted to run fatter tires on. If that is the case, you can get a longer set of axles with spacers on them to leave in the extra set of wheels all the time. So you would pop off your everyday wheels with the skinny tires and shorter axles and then pop on the extra wheels with longer axles already in them. Taking either wheel on or off is just as easy.

Also, I know someone mentioned the Schwalbe One tire, but just so you are aware the Schwalbe Rightruns are smooth in the center as well but have some grooves on the sides for a little extra traction if you ever have to go through grass, etc.

You sold me, I think that will be my next pair. Thanks for the review.
    That's okay you're welcome
    eqpt - rigid chair, 2 scooters, crutches/sticks/frames, assistance cat.

Been in a chair 24 plus years T-10 para. I have had several performance wheels over 12 sets. I am workers comp injury so great insurance and can get anything I want with an Rx. I don't run anything but Round Betty dino wheels with marathon plus. Yes they are hard to put on worth it to me for the performance and smart guard puncture protection.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    I'm currently using:
    25"*1" rims (559) with a tire - 60-559 (26*2.35) 30-55psi Big Apple Schwalbe: which give an actual measured outside diameter @55psi of 26 7/8".

on another rim 26" 590 using
    26"*1" rims (590) with a tire - 42-590 HS 349 Schwalbe :which give an actual measured outside diameter at max psi of 26 1/2".

and then I'm also running some 27" wheels (700cx28c 28-622) 700c - using standard non-marking tire.
    27"*1" rims (622) with a tire - 28-622 Cheng Shin : which gives and actual measureed outside diameter at 100psi of 26 7/8"

This allows me to swap my 25" and 27" wheels without having to make any adjustments... brakes center of gravity etc.. so I can have non marking tires in the house and fatties for outside etc.
    I tried also to swap between urban and offroad wheels... but without your success NW-Will !
    It's very difficult to have an idea of the outside diameter of the rig, before having it all installed and ready to go. And this diameter is all we need to know, rim size isn't an issue (or eventually for the pushrim size)
    First of all I was rolling with a very common rig : 24" Spinergy with 1" Marathon.
    Then I bought a pair of 24" MTB (507mm) and I choose 1.75" Marathon to improve comfort and gentle offroad use.
    When I tried to swap, I realized the external diameter was not the same, and even if the changes were barely noticeable on the chair's balance, the brakes were lost. The 1.75" Marathons were a bit smaller than the 1" ones.
    Keeping the same 507 rims, I bought pretty big 2.35 Schwalbe "Crazy Bob". And now I can say they are ... very tall ! I had to change the settings of my ZX-1 from 24" clamshell position to 25". So with this set, there's no way to come back ! Unless buying 25" (559mm) rims... and 1" tire may be ?
    In fact, we should make a scale of exterior diameter according to the rim/tire used... I think it could help !
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.